Dan Gosling

Dave

Isn't Smith our defensive Mid fielder?

Yes, he's the defensive midfielder who was playing last season while the defence was getting lots of praise, and the defensive midfielder who was injured most of the season we were relegated when the midfield (we mostly still have now) were getting blamed for giving the (better) defence no protection.

He may sometimes give away stupid free kicks on the edge of the box, but it's preferable to just letting the opposition have a free run into it which is what would happen a lot of the time without him. By all means get in a better defensive midfielder, but don't pretend any of the other midfielders we currently have can do the job better or that we don't need someone playing in that position.

Doubled-edged sword; if Smith isn't playing we tend to keep the ball better in the first place, reducing the need for such a player.

Did we keep the ball well in 08-09? Are we likely to this season?

People are talking about staying up ugly, and at the same time want to drop or get rid of our only half decent defensive midfielder?

I just think Smith is pretty poor, he is good at sitting deep which obviously makes it a little harder for the other team with an extra person back there but then he is quite reckless which sometimes gives the opposition attacking chances they shouldn't really have had.

I all honesty I think it would be better playing with 5 defenders instead of Smith as it would do the same job but at least the extra man back there could tackle.

Something like:

S Taylor.  Colo.    Williamson.  Enrique

Perch

Doubled-edged sword; if Smith isn't playing we tend to keep the ball better in the first place, reducing the need for such a player.

Nicky Butt was doing it then and he was no better. I'd love to see us buy a decent central midfielder for this season but it's not on the cards...

Yes, he's the defensive midfielder who was playing last season while the defence was getting lots of praise, and the defensive midfielder who was injured most of the season we were relegated when the midfield (we mostly still have now) were getting blamed for giving the (better) defence no protection.

He may sometimes give away stupid free kicks on the edge of the box, but it's preferable to just letting the opposition have a free run into it which is what would happen a lot of the time without him. By all means get in a better defensive midfielder, but don't pretend any of the other midfielders we currently have can do the job better or that we don't need someone playing in that position.

Playing Smith surrenders any hope of keeping possession in the first place hence just increasing the pressure on the defence and ultimately put more strain on himself to attempt to 'cover' the defence. He's not a defensive midfielder, he has none of the qualities to make him an effective player in this position. He doesn't read the game well enough to know when to challenge or intercept the ball, he doesn't time tackles at all, he doesn't have the physicallity to make himself a presence in this position, he doesn't know how to play things simple and allow the other midfielders to play.

You can tell he's just a converted striker with very limited footballing ability or brain. He's constantly throwing himself into tackles which seems to get him praise from the crowd though. Good old 'Smudger'.

Agree with you. Think he deserves more praise for what he did last season, he put the opposition under pressure in midfield more than anyone else for us. Things like that generally just go under appreciated though.

Wouldnt have him near the first team this next season though, let alone captain or anything along those lines. Barton fills his role & provides much more, Guthries worse defensively but makes up for it going fowards.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shouldn't this be confirmed tomorrow when Everton's Deadline passes? Though I could have my days wrong.

Shouldn't this be confirmed tomorrow when Everton's Deadline passes? Though I could have my days wrong.

I would imagine it will depend on whether Everton appeal or not, surly if they submit a appeal today it wont be sorted by tomorrow.  The FA said they had 14 days to appeal not that they had 14 days to appeal and get the result of it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I would imagine it will depend on whether Everton appeal or not, surly if they submit a appeal today it wont be sorted by tomorrow.  The FA said they had 14 days to appeal not that they had 14 days to appeal and get the result of it.

Aye, I'm assuming Everton haven't appealed, as some reports suggested.

People are talking about staying up ugly, and at the same time want to drop or get rid of our only half decent defensive midfielder?

How's he half decent? Everything about him is shite.

Would be nice to see another english player in the ranks. I think I read somewere , we will have one of the only squads in the premier league with more than 15 english players registered or something.

Would be nice to see another english player in the ranks. I think I read somewere , we will have one of the only squads in the premier league with more than 15 english players registered or something.

Shame most of them are shite then ey.

:lol: We have plenty of English players, and more than meet any requirement that could be put on us, unless the BNP come to power. We need to just be signing good players.

Not too bothered he'll miss the first few months of the season. He'll come back just in time for the busy christmas schedule.

Completely lacking in form and match fitness.

A player for 2011/12 if his confidence doesn't get shot to pieces by then.

Bit risky signing a player carrying such a big injury, months away from fitness. We have no idea how he will be when he returns. How many times have we signed players who have then got a serious injury and never got going afterwards? Look at Owen, Luque, Duff.

Nevertheless, I think it's a risk worth taking in our current predicament. There just isn't the funds with the fat man behind the wheel, and major injury aside, he ticks some good boxes. Young, English, Prem experience and rated by his club, he's worth the punt I feel. I'd question his character after what he's done to Everton, the club who discovered him, but he may just be desperate for first team football, in which case he's coming for the right reasons. Everton have a wealth of options in midfield, it would be very tough for him to break in. He probably would develop better playing week in week out with us, post injury of course.