Dan Gosling

Dave

I'm willing to write this one off as just a bad day. Comically bad passing from him. I know he's not that poor. Almost seemed like he was nervous - not sure why that would be. Judging by the look on his face when he came off, he knew just how bad it was.

Took a bit of a battering in the match thread, but still quite optimistic about Gosling. He drives forward very well and this was just one poor performance, and it was hardly abysmal.

:thup: Chin up, keep working hard.

It was pretty appalling like, but at the same time, he needs games. Give him a chance.

This. Bad day at the office but got in some good areas. Looks too eager to impress, needs to chill out and use his head a bit more.

What Beren said. Silly reactions.

Silly reactions because everyone should have been aware of that a player, after being out more than year, can't just come back and play great football.

People were saying he should just replace Barton and some even said he might be better.

Same goes for Ben Arfa btw. He won't come back and be our great great player we've always waited for. He'll need at least 2 months to get back to his old - in which he has to stay injury free.

Just think of Owen, came back after his crucial after the world cup and looked a shadow of his former self ever since.

Not saying Ben Arfa / Gosling can't be good players - they just will need some time to get back again.

What Beren said. Silly reactions.

Silly reactions because everyone should have been aware of that a player, after being out more than year, can't just come back and play great football.

People were saying he should just replace Barton and some even said he might be better.

Same goes for Ben Arfa btw. He won't come back and be our great great player we've always waited for. He'll need at least 2 months to get back to his old - in which he has to stay injury free.

Just think of Owen, came back after his crucial after the world cup and looked a shadow of his former self ever since.

Not saying Ben Arfa / Gosling can't be good players - they just will need some time to get back again.

I think until Gosling has some more cameos under his belt we'll see Jonas & Marveaux on the wings with Cabaye & Tiote in the centre. I've no problem with that tbh.

Getting 70 minutes of a competitive match in for the first time in a couple of years will have helped him a lot and he will get much better as match fitness improves.

:thup:

Let the lad get some matches, and get back 100% match fit, then pass judgement.

Thought he did well tbh, not match fit yet but got into goal scoring positions, worked hard. Give him time and I think he will come good for us

He looked rusty and his passing was well out.  TBF to him, he just started looking dangerous and was getting in some good positions, then he was hauled off  :lol:

The right decision though, not had much football in the last what, year and a half?

Gosling looked sluggish which is to be expected, the run out would have done wonders for him. He needs proper game time though, so as HongKongMag says some reserve appearances and sub duty for first team should help.

Are we writing him off on his first start for the club?

Don't think anyone is writing him off tbh. It's very clear he needs to get some competitive matches under his belt. Wouldn't want to see him starting unless he has to though...

Are we writing him off on his first start for the club?

Don't think anyone is writing him off tbh. It's very clear he needs to get some competitive matches under his belt. Wouldn't want to see him starting unless he has to though...

But your comment seems to be writing him off??

On last nights performance he couldn't lace Barton's boots, but Barton has had a few stinkers for us during his time here. I know very little of the lad but none of us know enough yet to know whether he'll be more useful in the team than Barton.

Regardless of that as long as he's keeping Smith away from the starting line up he must be seen as a positive.

Jesus wept!!! This was his first competitive start for how long? Aye he looked rusty but to declare him shite and ready for the door whether it be on loan or whatever is fucking lunacy. I thought he actually showed some decent glimpses last night and got into 1 or 2 good positions (that left foot shot over the bar in particular).

And I know one thing, I'd much rather have him to closer to starting in the middle for the 1st team than Danny Guthrie any day.

Jesus wept!!! This was his first competitive start for how long? Aye he looked rusty but to declare him shite and ready for the door whether it be on loan or whatever is fucking lunacy. I thought he actually showed some decent glimpses last night and got into 1 or 2 good positions (that left foot shot over the bar in particular).

And I know one thing, I'd much rather have him to closer to starting in the middle for the 1st team than Danny Guthrie any day.

I'm not convinced about that. Guthrie has his faults but he's quite good with the ball at his feet and he can pick a pass. Gosling looks a lot more limited technically but he did at least show for the ball and didn't hide like Guthrie sometimes does. I'm hoping Gosling might turn out to be a Lampard type, not the most gifted but clever running off the ball. He did look crap yesterday mind.

Give the kid some time to find his feet, expecting him to be match sharp right away is insane..

The look on his face when he came off (watching it live on TV in Holland) spoke volumes for performance, but the run out will have done him a world of good. I will reserve my judgment until after he's had a decent run of matches coming off the bench/in the reserves.

As for a Barton replacement >> maybe one day but not at the moment. In a few months who knows..