The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

"Hearing some really distubing stories about Ray Wilkins going mental in a Madrid wine bar last night."

"Apparently he starting throwing chairs into a group of Swedish tourists whilst shouting: "Stay on your feet! Stay on your fucking feet!""

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/craigsaph/cid_image001_png01CBF44F.png

Crouch might  learn but I'm not convinced.  Any hopes of a decent performance/result went out of the window with Lennon's very late withdrawal  and Crouch's crass stupidity.  That said, the first half defensive performance was decent enough even with 10 men.  At the end, the players ran out of steam and the reason for that can be laid fairly and squarely at Crouch's door.  The indiscipline of one player doesn't make the team's performance bad even though the end result wasn't good.  As team performances, I've seen 4 or 5 worse in the league this season.

Also, a word about the ref.  Didn't book Ramos for a bodycheck and didn't give a pen against Dawson but otherwise excellent refereeing.  Best I've seen this season either in league or in Europe.

It's a humorous result but obviously it's only justification for a light snigger, it's hardly ammunition to rip the piss out of Spurs, given the competition, the stage of the competition and their opponents.

Is Torres allowed to play tonight?

Edit: He is.

Was there some reason he might not be, out of interest?

I presume he wasn't aware of the rule where a CL club can register 1 player after Jan who had played in the Europa?

I thought he might not be allowed to play in the CL after having played for Liverpool in the Europa League before in the same season.

What's the latest on Messi? Is he injured or "injured"? No Messi and I'd fancy Shakhtar to... well, not get a result as such but I'd fancy them to go into the 2nd leg with a sniff.

Shakhtar: Pyatov, Srna, Rakitskiy, Ischenko, Rat, Hübschmann, Mkhitaryan, Douglas Costa, Jadson, Willian, Luiz Adriano

Barcelona: Valdes, Alves, Busquets, Pique, Adriano, Xavi, Mascherano, Keita, Iniesta, Messi, Villa

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Valencia, Rooney, Chicarito

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Ivanovic, Cole, Ramires, Lampard, Essien, Zhirkov, Torres, Drogba

So, guess the big news is Messi's fit, as is Ferdinand, Nani out.

Guest Chubby Jason

I thought he might not be allowed to play in the CL after having played for Liverpool in the Europa League before in the same season.

That used to be the case. I remember Woodgate being unavailable for us in the Champions League after he'd played for Leeds in the UEFA Cup in the same season.