The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Rooney has no idea what to do against a compact defence. He's great on the counter attack/when the defence are on the back foot, but doesn't seem to know what to do when he has defenders all around him. Doesn't seem to know what run to make, how to create space for himself or for others.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Why do commentators endorse diving so much? Drives me mental.

England player: clever play.

Hungary player: bought the freekick.

MLS commentators say: Draw/Drew the freekick. Cracks me up everytime.

OK.

System is not balanced in the final third.  Rooney cannot operate as a loan striker behind this midfield for various reasons.

Glen Johnson cannot hack the mental side to international football and shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Hart is awesome.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Rooney has no idea what to do against a compact defence. He's great on the counter attack/when the defence are on the back foot, but doesn't seem to know what to do when he has defenders all around him. Doesn't seem to know what run to make, how to create space for himself or for others.

About 38mins, Lampard plays the right ball forward anticipating Rooney would cut across and in front of his marker (hard movement to track and attack should get to the ball first) in the area. Rooney instead continues a straight run behind his defender.

I'm not convinced that lone striker is his best position. He looks better when he has a licence to roam.

He doesn't look as sharp as usual either. I worry a bit about that episode last season, where he injured his ankle against Bayern. Fergie rushed him back the following week, he broke down after 20 minutes, but didn't come off until the second half. He hasn't quite looked the same player since.

Hopefully we see

Walcott - Wilshere - Johnson

Rooney

at some point.

Hasn't it essentially been established that Walcott is nothing but a glorified sprinter?

Well illustrated there by sprinting past defenders then crossing it at the first man.

Just compare Adam Johnson to Walcott in this game and it's clear how poor Walcott is. One is a real winger, the other is just some guy who can run fast and ruled youth football because he'd manage to get 20 yards a head of everyone else, allowing him 3 minutes to look around and decide what the best option was.

Walcott's done about three times as much as Johnson. Walcott can look clumsy but he's more effective than all the rest of the wingers available bar maybe J Cole.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm not convinced that lone striker is his best position. He looks better when he has a licence to roam.

He doesn't look as sharp as usual either. I worry a bit about that episode last season, where he injured his ankle against Bayern. Fergie rushed him back the following week, he broke down after 20 minutes, but didn't come off until the second half. He hasn't quite looked the same player since.

Loan striker is very hard work and you need the right player to do it. At the moment Rooney is neither link up striker, or battering ram striker, plus he's getting no support. He'll do well for Man U because they attack with pace and have the defence on the back foot, allowing the defence little time to settle and organise.

Hopefully we see

Walcott - Wilshere - Johnson

Rooney

at some point.

Hasn't it essentially been established that Walcott is nothing but a glorified sprinter?

Well illustrated there by sprinting past defenders then crossing it at the first man.

Just compare Adam Johnson to Walcott in this game and it's clear how poor Walcott is. One is a real winger, the other is just some guy who can run fast and ruled youth football because he'd manage to get 20 yards a head of everyone else, allowing him 3 minutes to look around and decide what the best option was.

Walcott's done about three times as much as Johnson. Walcott can look clumsy but he's more effective than all the rest of the wingers available bar maybe J Cole.

Aye, Johnson has made me look like a tit. Happened as soon as I posted that, his game went to pot! Wouldn't say Walcott has been amazing though, commentators seem keen to sing his praises whenever he successfully puts a cross in (good or bad).

He'll be back to normal by this time next week.

He'll be back to normal by this time next week.

Yep, this is just a pre-season friendly for him. The only reason Fergie has let him play.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was poor as a lone striker in the World Cup too, but as its been mentioned that could have been due to his injury. Don't think England's 'style' suits his ability, at least for the role he's been asked to play in the last few games.

Gareth Barrys done little more than get the ball from the defence near the half way line, then pass it back to the defender he just got it from and run away.

Where you expecting anything else from him? All he does in an England shirt.

Gareth Barrys done little more than get the ball from the defence near the half way line, then pass it back to the defender he just got it from and run away.

Sounds like the kind of player we could really use.

Guest kingdawson

Moa, Rëmy, Insomnia and Huseklepp are my standouts in the first half of this match.

Remy been good then?

Where you expecting anything else from him? All he does in an England shirt.

Was hoping he might manage to turn on the ball and face fowards instead. Sometimes i just set my sights to high.