The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

what the fuck just happened in the Spurs game for the 2nd goal? I remember when Shay Given got done by Dion Dublin with the keeper putting it down while still in play, but think that was different scenario.

Nani went down in the box and wanted a pen. As he hit the deck he grabbed the ball as players often do. The ref said no penalty. Gomes put the ball down as if to take the freekick, Nani ran back and kicked the ball in. The linesman flagged, but the referee gave the goal.

what the fuck just happened in the Spurs game for the 2nd goal? I remember when Shay Given got done by Dion Dublin with the keeper putting it down while still in play, but think that was different scenario.

Nani went down in the box and wanted a pen. As he hit the deck he grabbed the ball as players often do. The ref said no penalty. Gomes put the ball down as if to take the freekick, Nani ran back and kicked the ball in. The linesman flagged, but the referee gave the goal.

Also, Nani dived. Like, really blatantly.

Nani went down, claimed a penalty (amazing, but true) and handled the ball. Gomes picked the ball up, then thought that the ref had given the handball and put it down to take the free-kick. Nani got up, looked at the ref to see if he'd given the free-kick, presumably got the nod and scored.

Guest kingdawson

Can someone please tell me how on earth he allowed that goal? This is the same knob that doesn't see Mendes goal but yet he allows this?

We might as well not play at OT again tbh. The way we get royally screwed there is unreal.

da fuck how in gods name did that stand

Why else would the linesman be flagging though? There's no offside decision to be made or anything else. Clearly, clearly alerting the referee that there was an obvious handball there. The whole stadium must have seen it, he touched the ball three or four times.

Yet the referee gives a goal.

Commentators here saying (1) Well it was a penalty anyway and (2) Well it may not be the spirit of the game, but it's the letter of the law. Hedging their bets in favour of "United". Well fuck em. I'm off to watch American Football, where reviewing decisions means something.

This might be the worst fucking referee performance i have ever seen.

The ref flagged, and a foul was given. It was fucking handball, and he dived. Gomes puts the ball down for freekick because of the flag and because Clattenburg was ok.

I dont like Tottenham, but i have sympathies for them after this shit. He shouldnt be allowed to ref anymore this season.

If this happened to us I would kill someone.

So have I got this right?

Nani dives for a pen, and grabs the ball. Ref waves it away, doesn't book him for diving or for a deliberate handball - Gomes presumes it's a free kick and the ball must be out of play seeing as Nani's held the ball. Gomes puts the ball down, Nani makes a miracle recovery from writhing on the floor like he was going to die and runs over to the ball. Gomes asks the ref what's going on, the ref makes a vague gesture with his hands like "Go on". Gomes is like "What? Take the kick? He's standing next to the ball." Nani puts it in the net and celebrates. Linesman flags. Ref discusses it with the linesman, with Ferdinand about 6 inches from his face intimidating him, ref overrules the linesman and gives the goal.