The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

It's a stupid incident, Nani clearly handles the ball but if Clattenburg doesn't give a freekick Gomes has no right to make the decision and give himself the freekick - which he was trying to take 10 yards further forward in the first place. Agree though that common sense should have prevailed, Nani has basically gained a goal from handling the ball.

It's a stupid incident, Nani clearly handles the ball but if Clattenburg doesn't give a freekick Gomes has no right to make the decision and give himself the freekick - which he was trying to take 10 yards further forward in the first place. Agree though that common sense should have prevailed, Nani has basically gained a goal from handling the ball.

I don't think he is though. He sees the linesman waving the flag and puts two and two together - I mean how often does the linesman flag and the decision not be given?!

I don't think he is though. He sees the linesman waving the flag and puts two and two together - I mean how often does the linesman flag and the decision not be given?!

The linesman didn't flag until Nani put the ball in.

The linesman didn't flag until Nani put the ball in.

Exactly. That in itself was confusing, but having seen ESPN pick it apart afterwards it's clear in my opinion that it's Gomes at fault for presuming he'd been given a freekick - and arguably Clattenburg for not signalling an advantage.

Oh sorry, didn't realise, just assumed :thup:

Still think the referee shouldn't have done the whole 'go on' motion to Nani - surely Gomes putting the ball down and Nani scoring isn't giving Spurs an advantage?

If it was in the middle of the park and the referee gave Spurs an advantage, if the player just stood there and Nani came and took the ball, he would bring play back.

Oh sorry, didn't realise, just assumed :thup:

Still think the referee shouldn't have done the whole 'go on' motion to Nani - surely Gomes putting the ball down and Nani scoring isn't giving Spurs an advantage?

If it was in the middle of the park and the referee gave Spurs an advantage, if the player just stood there and Nani came and took the ball, he would bring play back.

Yep, agree with all that but he never signalled an advantage, which would mean he either didn't see the handball or deemed it accidental. Which is why when the linesman had his flag up afterwards Clattenburg should have taken that as a get out of jail free card and say the linesmen gave a free kick, nobody could really have argued with it, he practically picked it up ffs.

just seen it jesus christ what a ridiculous decision by the ref and what the hell is ferdinand doing there with the ref and assistant, he has no right to be there and should have been booked for trying to ref the game himself and nani is an utter cunt for that and in general.

all that said gomes has his part, why put it down, lesson one play to the whistle

Ok can I just please tell everyone to watch the footages again. Couple of seconds before Gomes puts the ball on the floor. Clattenburg puts the whistle in his mouth and then Gomes thinks hes going to blow the whistle. But as Clattenburg sees him dropping the ball he doesnt blow.

Its f***ing ridiculous, how will he or the FA be able to defend themselves.

Gomes also said he saw the ref put his whistle in his mouth, and if you look from an angle from behind the goal you will see the same.

And anyone saying it isn't the refs fault is absolutely f***ing clueless.

Can anyone confirm that they've seen this?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Man U fans over-joyed at their team's opening goal there I see.

Possibly only team in England, maybe Liverpool too, that I think fans would desert in their thousands after a few 'winless' seasons. Be interesting to see it happen.

I can see both sides of it. It's a definite handball but if Gomes has picked it up then play should just continue and you play to the whistle. That said it's a bit fucking snidey of Nani to just roll it in after Gomes drops it down.

The lino has to be stronger though.