The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Also, Barcelona have conceded 13 goals in the league this season compared to scoring 73. Where are the defensive weaknesses? They've had a couple of minor accidents over 24 matches proving that the players are still human, they don't have a glaring weakness in defense.

I must say Barcelona in midweek looked very vulnerable to some of Arsenal's more archetypal Premiership-style counter-attacking play.

It was a perfect example of the confidence they show in the Premiership week-in, week-out but seem diffident about trying on such a sophisticated stage. Oddly enough, of all people, Theo Walcott (again!) had Maxwell shitting his pants a few times.

Really can't wait for the second leg. If Wilshere and a few other star performers play like they can (and the Arsenal backline can remain fairly disciplined), I really think we'd have a cracker of a match and the best of clinical breakneck speed Premiership play triumphing over Barcelona football.

Don't really think we were complacent, we were tired. Arsenal only broke us down in the last 15, although we looked shattered by then.

Still going to be a very hard tie. I don't think Arsenal won't score to be frank, so I expect that we'll need at least 3 goals to get through.

Could very well happen, yup. If Arsenal don't settle quickly enough, I can see it being like that Man Utd match they had a few years ago where they lost two early goals and never looked like coming back into it.

Don't really think we were complacent, we were tired. Arsenal only broke us down in the last 15, although we looked shattered by then.

Still going to be a very hard tie. I don't think Arsenal won't score to be frank, so I expect that we'll need at least 3 goals to get through.

They fashioned decent openings before then too, tbh.

My bad, I was going for that but for some reason wrote complacency. :lol: I'll blame that on English not being my first language and confusing the two, even if that's a lie. :shifty: They did appear happy with an away goal and a win, though. But aye, not really complacency.  :-[

remember song having an absolute nightmare at the nou camp last season.  just letting messi wonder around the arsenal half with the ball - sure he strolled past him for one of the goals?

imo, arsenal need to target barcelona's right side to counter - if they opt to sit back and soak up pressure.  walcott needs to play from the left hand side to get behind alves.

but they should have the flexibility in their approach to counter such issues.  less so the motivational issues, more so the tendency for teams to put two lines of players out and camp in their own half.

as a result imo, they definitely need to stop overplaying their possession when in the final third and they definitely need to address the weaknesses they have at the back / dealing with counter attacks.  points like this which incline me to describe guardiola as being tactically limited as you would expect/want him to deal with such issues.  yet, we've been here before.

Other than Arshavin's goal name me one other occasion this season where Barcelona have conceded after being cut part on the counter attack.

We are susceptible to counterattack. Every tactical setup does have a weakness. Spain played the "not vulnerable to counters" version of our tactic (two deep lying mids, less overloading of the final third) and it was considerably less effective going forward. Give some, get some.

39 matches so far this season, 23 goals conceded. Ca. 0.5 a match.

Where's the supposed blatant defensive weakness?

For good measure, let's just compare to Real Madrid (supposedly better defensively than Barcelona) who have played 38 matches. They have conceded 24 goals, 19 if you take out the 5-0 loss, but still.

He'll get way more mileage off Maxwell than Alves. Maxwell gets forward as much and doesn't have Alves' pace or stamina to retrack.

Alves is not poor defensively at all. A bit of a myth really.

I have to say that I always liked Maicon more than Alves, but after this season I cannot stop loving Alves. Although he's a thick cunt he's such a good player and against France he was running up and down the field like he would never get tired.

And also I've seen that it seems like he's learned from Messi a bit as the ball is glued to his feet when dribbling. Very underrated player and the best fullback in the world by a mile. People talk about his defensive errors, but I rarely see them even if he did make some mistakes against Arsenal.

nice goal by o'hara

:thup:

Surprised that Jamie is so keen on joining Wolves on a permanent basis.  I can understand his desire to play regularly but I would have thought there were better teams than Wolves who want want to sign him.  It's not as though Spurs are asking for a ridiculous fee, which is surprising in itself.    Jamie's got decent skill levels and I'd personally prefer that he'd stay, there are always matches where you need the players to roll up their sleeves and scrap.

I love the completely polar-opposite views held by football fans.

Build to West Ham - Burnley on ESPN, they were out asking West Ham fans what they thought of the Olympic Stadium move. Two of the first opinions were:

"Yeah. It's a great move, positive, ambitious - the club should benefit greatly from it"

"Terrible. It'll bankrupt us"

:lol:

i expect arsenal to have a mental collapse at some point and gift the tie to barca

You don't think the best team in the world might just outplay them at somepoint?

:lol:

I don't think Barcelona will have to play to their full potential in order to win.