Harry Redknapp

Tooj

Guest gggg

I don't even think I agree with those saying the winners must take priority over the club finishing 4th place to give them a chance to defend their title, if I had to pick one or the other I'd go for who finished 4th.  A club like Chelsea has failed massively by finishing outside the top 4 with the money they've spent and the wages.

But they actually won something, the biggest trophy in Europe - that's a lot more impressive than finishing 4th in your domestic league

Why change it now anyway? If you go back in time Real Madrid wouldn't have won the ones in the 50s, Bayern wouldn't have won the ones they did in the 70's etc

Guest neesy111

I don't even think I agree with those saying the winners must take priority over the club finishing 4th place to give them a chance to defend their title, if I had to pick one or the other I'd go for who finished 4th.  A club like Chelsea has failed massively by finishing outside the top 4 with the money they've spent and the wages.

Give over.  A team has a right to defend the trophy they won, to prove they are still the best team in that competition.

I definitely agree with your comments above but I do think the champions have to be in the competition the next season. Doesn't seem right not to for me.

Much harder to win the CL than finish 4th too.

Well I don't think you should change it tbh, I think 5 places instead of 4.  League position's a far better indicator of how good a team is as well, it's hard enough getting in the top 4 without having this extra shit to think of as well.  Don't get me wrong, it's funny because it's Spurs and it's good for us, but this needs sorted out unless we get to a point where the Europa League isn't such a bogey prize, which we won't.

I definitely agree with your comments above but I do think the champions have to be in the competition the next season. Doesn't seem right not to for me.

You quite clearly can fluke your way to a Champions League win though, same doesn't really go for achieving a certain league position.

Guest neesy111

Nowadays it is.  Back in the old European Cup was easy on early rounds as you played minnows in early knockout rounds it was easy until last 8.

I'm with Interpolic like, it really isn't fair on 4th place to go through a long season like this only to have their achievements count for nothing (and i'm can now say this without any bias).

It's all well and good the Champions League winners being given the right to defend their crown, but imo they have failed to defend it at the first stage.

Nowadays it is.  Back in the old European Cup was easy on early rounds as you played minnows in early knockout rounds it was easy until last 8.

That's absolute bollocks. There were some class teams back then who you are labelling as "minnows".

Give over.  A team has a right to defend the trophy they won, to prove they are still the best team in that competition.

They couldn't even manage to finish in the top 4 man, not even with all the money they've got from being in the Champions League for the last decade and an owner to whom money is no object.  They've failed in the league but don't pay the price by missing out on the only competition anyone's bothered about these days, at the expense of one that has done what they thought they needed to do in the league.

So you pick someone who finishes 4, third of the losers to play in the Champions League over someone who are the champions of the Champions League. Bizarre!

So you pick someone who finishes 4, third of the losers to play in the Champions League over someone who are the champions of the Champions League. Bizarre!

Even more bizarre to pick the people who finished 5th of the losers like, or potentially 19th, as it could happen.

The holders shouldn't be allowed automatic entry IMO.

We should never be allocated five places either though (unless that's our country's agreed consistent allocation). That fifth place will come at the expense of someone else.

The way the Champions League works now, with UEFA essentially sponsoring CL team's future success with the insane prize and TV money, such a team should see finishing in the top 4 as a pre-requisite to playing in that cup again, regardless of their progress in the competition.  That's if we're not talking additional places, and I've made it clear I think additional places is the only 100% fair way to do this.

Have no idea why 5 CL places rather than 4, or going back 4 instead of 3, or 2 instead of 1, gets people's backs up so much.  It's not the European Cup anymore man, get over it.  Although I'd be all for having 2 places for premier European Cup and another 2 for a secondary European Cup, anything that lessens the gap between the European competitions.

Guest gggg

Even more bizarre to pick the people who finished 5th of the losers like, or potentially 19th, as it could happen.

Bayern finished 10th when they won the second European Cup in the 70's. Who finished 4th in the Bundesliga that year? Nobody knows because it doesn't matter, Bayern winning the European was a far better achievement which people do still remember and gave them the right to win it he next year

Guest antz1uk

correct me if I'm wrong but don't the world cup holders now have to qualify and only the hosts get straight in?

The holders shouldn't be allowed automatic entry IMO.

We should never be allocated five places either though (unless that's our country's agreed consistent allocation). That fifth place will come at the expense of someone else.

It won't come at the expense of anyone else if it's always allocated.  Say Chelsea had gotten 3rd and won tonight, then the team in 5th would get an extra place.  If the country that wins the CL always gets an additional place then there's nothing unfair about it, it's a bonus and a reward to that league for winning the competition.

Chelsea might well have qualified fourth if they had focused all their efforts on that but they didn't. All they cared about towards the end was winning the champions league so who knows what might have happened if they had got knocked out.

Bayern finished 10th when they won the second European Cup in the 70's. Who finished 4th in the Bundesliga that year? Nobody knows because it doesn't matter, Bayern winning the European was a far better achievement which people do still remember and gave them the right to win it he next year

The Champions would have the right to win it the next year, they can finish in the top 4.

Did they take the place from that year's German champions though? If not it's irrelevant.

Guest gggg

correct me if I'm wrong but don't the world cup holders now have to qualify and only the hosts get straight in?

That started because the winners wanted to play competitive qualifying games instead of just friendlies