Harry Redknapp

Tooj

i'll take redknapp seriously when he's went and won something with spurs and hasn't fucked off at the first sign of a better opportunity (which to be fair is only going to be england now)

if he's there in another 4 years and they've even challenged for the league once i'll be impressed/amazed otherwise meh

Guest Roger Kint

Bale didnt start performing til January to be fair, Redknapp and the fans especially had little faith in him til he was needed and came back in to start playing well, could have been Peterborough or something in the Cup iirc.

Same as Pav, Bentley, Hutton etc. Disgarded til they are desperate and good old 'Arry gets all the credit for being forced into playing them. Genius!

Guest Roger Kint

Also, Bale is very young. To write him off and sell him would have been a bit premature and stupid.

He was extrememly close to joining Burnley on loan i think, certainly at the time many Spurs fans didnt think he had a future at the club. Easy with hindsight to say it would be stupid but at the time it wasnt so clear cut

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think the issue people have with him, is that if its not going well, he doesn't resort to training the players he has to improve them, or seemingly study his games in depth. No, his first thought is to buy new players.

If that was true.. Gareth Bale would have been sold a long time ago tbh.

:harry:

Also, Bale is very young. To write him off and sell him would have been a bit premature and stupid.

He was extrememly close to joining Burnley on loan i think, certainly at the time many Spurs fans didnt think he had a future at the club. Easy with hindsight to say it would be stupid but at the time it wasnt so clear cut

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it was obvious, just that it wasn't simply a case of 'he's not performing, sell him'... his youth was a reason to persevere for a while.

Guest Roger Kint

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it was obvious, just that it wasn't simply a case of 'he's not performing, sell him'... his youth was a reason to persevere for a while.

I guess so, depends where they stood with all the add ons i suppose. He cost £5m plus £5m extra i think so Spurs may have decided to cash in before they started paying any more. As it stands its not going to bother them too much now

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm trying to think of players that have improved through technique (not motivation), and I can't work out if the ones I think have improved have improved through his training or through game time (natural development).

Certainly can't think of any older players (22+) that have improved while playing under Redknapp, though I suppose you could say that about a few managers.

It was Forest.  I don't think there were many fans who thought he had no future at all but there were many, me included, who thought defensively he was weaker than BAE.  Also, the run of defeats before being involved in his first Spurs win badly dented his confidence and it showed.  I don't think there was any talk of Bale being sold but it was highly likely that he would have been loaned out if BAE hadn't picked up his injury.

It's easy to see why Redknapp always has this wheeler dealer tag but I don't think he spends huge amounts of money because of the returns when players are sold on.  The latest rumour is that is that Liverpool and Spurs are working on a deal to see Kranjcar go to Anfield and Glen Johnson go to WHL which would allow Hutton to be moved on in the summer.  Liverpool apparently are wanting £5/6m plus Kranjcar whilst Spurs are trying to do a straight swap.  Irrespective of whether you think Johnson is any better defensively than Hutton, the fact is that Kranjcar cost £2m and we're now trying to do a deal for Johnson who cost Liverpool £17.5m. 

I'm trying to think of players that have improved through technique (not motivation), and I can't work out if the ones I think have improved have improved through his training or through game time (natural development).

Certainly can't think of any older players (22+) that have improved while playing under Redknapp, though I suppose you could say that about a few managers.

Not sure about the age point either but under Redknapp players who have a record of under-performing have started to make a meaningful contribution. I'm thinking of players like Kaboul, Lennon, Bale and Huddlestone. Even Gomes (who in the past was nothing short of disastrous) has had some good games although he still looks like a rick waiting to happen. Also I can only think of Darren Bent who went nowhere or backwards under Arry. I don't like  :harry:  but he's a good manager imo.

It was Forest.  I don't think there were many fans who thought he had no future at all but there were many, me included, who thought defensively he was weaker than BAE.  Also, the run of defeats before being involved in his first Spurs win badly dented his confidence and it showed.   I don't think there was any talk of Bale being sold but it was highly likely that he would have been loaned out if BAE hadn't picked up his injury.

It's easy to see why Redknapp always has this wheeler dealer tag but I don't think he spends huge amounts of money because of the returns when players are sold on.  The latest rumour is that is that Liverpool and Spurs are working on a deal to see Kranjcar go to Anfield and Glen Johnson go to WHL which would allow Hutton to be moved on in the summer.   Liverpool apparently are wanting £5/6m plus Kranjcar whilst Spurs are trying to do a straight swap.  Irrespective of whether you think Johnson is any better defensively than Hutton, the fact is that Kranjcar cost £2m and we're now trying to do a deal for Johnson who cost Liverpool £17.5m. 

Does that mean Harry really is a wheeler dealer?  :kasper:

I guess so, depends where they stood with all the add ons i suppose. He cost £5m plus £5m extra i think so Spurs may have decided to cash in before they started paying any more. As it stands its not going to bother them too much now

The original deal was £5m rising to £10m as you said.  However, when Southampton hit financial problems Rupert Lowe, the chairman at the time, asked to renegotiate the potential extras for a sum up front and £1m was paid.  So Bale cost a total of £6m with nothing more to be paid.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Not sure about the age point either but under Redknapp players who have a record of under-performing have started to make a meaningful contribution. I'm thinking of players like Kaboul, Lennon, Bale and Huddlestone. Even Gomes (who in the past was nothing short of disastrous) has had some good games although he still looks like a rick waiting to happen. Also I can only think of Darren Bent who went nowhere or backwards under Arry. I don't like  :harry:  but he's a good manager imo.

I'd class that as motivation, so yeah, can't deny he could potentially be a good motivator/man manager (if you're in his good books). Though, is that an issue in itself, if you don't perform you're instantly in his bad books until you perform again? Don't know, he seems a total nightmare of a manager to define (if you had to try and define his management style).

Not sure he's a coach though, not that I'm saying you have to be a coach to be a football manager. Think I'm still going to stick to 'Problem? Buy a replacement' mentality. Not sure I can think/ever see him developing/training a player to sort a problem out. Open to suggestions though.

Not sure he's a coach though, not that I'm saying you have to be a coach to be a football manager. Think I'm still going to stick to 'Problem? Buy a replacement' mentality. Not sure I can think/ever see him developing/training a player to sort a problem out. Open to suggestions though.

well, in the results business he's in wouldn't buying a replacement make sense if he had the money?

why would you fuck around with someone when you can buy what you want off the shelf and potentially reap the rewards on the pitch faster?

devil's advocate of course

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

well, in the results business he's in wouldn't buying a replacement make sense if he had the money?

why would you fuck around with someone when you can buy what you want off the shelf and potentially reap the rewards on the pitch faster?

Yeah, I guess, but his track record suggests that, potentially, that's what cripples the clubs he's been to. Could be that each new replacement that comes in wants a higher wage then the last - no idea if that's true.

Yeah, I guess, but his track record suggests that, potentially, that's what cripples the clubs he's been to. Could be that each new replacement that comes in wants a higher wage then the last - no idea if that's true.

no redknapp fan but i don't hold that against him - it's not (or it shouldn't be) his call to make on finances other than maybe "there's the budget work within it twitchy"

if clubs have been stupid enough to allow him free reign or whatever then they get what they deserve, for me HR has only done what a football manager should and that's whatever he thinks will improve results on the pitch

Guest Roger Kint

The original deal was £5m rising to £10m as you said.   However, when Southampton hit financial problems Rupert Lowe, the chairman at the time, asked to renegotiate the potential extras for a sum up front and £1m was paid.  So Bale cost a total of £6m with nothing more to be paid.

Didnt know that, very good business for you then. The Spurs fans i know on another site all really wanted rid so guess i took the majority view as a fair indicator, like you said it was Forest not Burnley though. Agree a lot was to do with that winless run affecting him.

I'd class that as motivation, so yeah, can't deny he could potentially be a good motivator/man manager (if you're in his good books). Though, is that an issue in itself, if you don't perform you're instantly in his bad books until you perform again? Don't know, he seems a total nightmare of a manager to define (if you had to try and define his management style).

I'm not convinced he is a coach either but he's a top man motivator if you listen to some of the players, VDV - we didn't talk much about tactics, he just told me I had a free role, go out and express yourself and Pav - the coach told me put yourself about and enjoy yourself.  But the players perform for him and seem happy so I'm not too bothered.  All the tactical stuff seems to come from Kevin Bond, Joe Jordan and Tim Sherwood.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I guess, hard to do that though if you've contributed in there not being any pitch left when the Repo Men come and tear it up. I'd be interested to see how he did as England manager. Think it'd go someway to either prove or disprove any feelings that he's a cheque book manager, having to basically work with a core group of players regardless of ability.

On one hand I think he could do well, if he's as good a man manager/motivator as he people think he is. On the other, I think he'll get frustrated when he can't sign some obscure African Lad to play for England.

I guess, hard to do that though if you've contributed in there not being any pitch left when the Repo Men come and tear it up. I'd be interested to see how he did as England manager. Think it'd go someway to either prove or disprove any feelings that he's a cheque book manager, having to basically work with a core group of players regardless of ability.

On one hand I think he could do well, if he's as good a man manager/motivator as he people think he is. On the other, I think he'll get frustrated when he can't sign some obscure African Lad to play for England.

i think so too, guess that's why international management is the hardest there is - you can't just pull in someone for a position where you're weak

Probably got an English grandmother!  O0

Disgraceful title this one. If Redknapp agree to be our manager in Jan 2009. We would have been a solid top 6th team. His achevement at Tothenham is nothing short of mircles. I have no doubt he will be the next England manager in 2012.

No we wouldn't, Redknapp would've walked out 6 months earlier then Keegan did.