Harry Redknapp

Tooj

Weren't we heavily linked with Bousouffa a couple of seasons back and it came to nothing. I agree with your general point though, with some clever scouting there is a lot of talent to be got fairly cheap before they hit the big 2 in the Eredivisie. If we're buying clever Belgium, Holland, Scando's, South/Central America is where we need to be.

Guest Heneage

Kezman you seem clued up on Dutch football, I know we were briefly linked to de Guzman and I remember him being good on FM. What's he actually like IRL?

Right now, his next move is vital. He's got potential but injuries have hampered any chances to bed down and build on a bright start to his career. He's not made of glass but his last 2 years should be looked at, he's fit now thankfully. I also think he'd add a lot to our midfield.

Guest Antigalican

A very well written article. Always makes me laugh when he comes on the tele and my missus is in the room. She's got a proper phobia about the bloke!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Harry Redknapp's column

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/3203522/Harry-Redknapp-has-been-bowled-over-by-Rafael-van-der-Vaart.html

My bargain is a work of Vaart

THIS summer I bought a work of Vaart - and I am told Tottenham's investment in the Dutch master was the best foreign buy of the season. Stats anoraks tell me Rafael van der Vaart tops the list in something like 200 different categories, way ahead of all the other players who moved clubs in the summer. But I really don't need anyone to tell me just how good Rafa is. Five goals in eight games, man-of-the-match performances and a fierce determination to be the best tells me all I need to know.

To say Van der Vaart has settled in well at White Hart Lane is a bit of an understatement. But then I'd expect no less from a quality player with 75 caps for his country and played at World Cups. Old Trafford will hold no fears for him today - after all, when you've played in front of 80-odd thousand for Real Madrid at the Bernabeu, there won't be any ground in the world that troubles him. One thing though is that Rafa will relish the chance of showing such a massive audience at Old Trafford how he has become a real force in the Premier League in next to no time.

Sure, there was a large slice of luck involved in getting him and it only happened after missing out on Joe Cole - a player I tried everything to sign when it became clear that he was leaving Chelsea. If Joe had come to White Hart Lane, there would have been little or no chance of signing Van der Vaart as Tottenham would have done their spending and that would have been that.

Van der Vaart has already proved a great buy - but he is not in my top three transfers during my time as a manager. At No 1 I'd put a player only Bournemouth and Port Vale can probably remember, John Williams. I paid just £20,000 for John, the best money I have ever spent as the big centre-half was truly magnificent for me and the Cherries. He stopped goals, scored goals, made goals and I'd say he made my managerial career, too. At No 2 I'd put Paul Merson - and he didn't cost Portsmouth a penny in transfer fees. Aston Villa even paid a big part of his wages because Pompey couldn't afford them. Merse arrived at Fratton when Portsmouth finished fourth the previous season and he gave the entire place a lift with his personality. attitude and ability. I'd say Merson was one of the main reasons Ports-mouth gained promotion to the Premier League for the first time, he scored 12 goals and was the catalyst for an era on the South Coast that few could have dreamed of.

Third, I'd put big John Hartson who joined me at West Ham from Arsenal in a deal worth £3m. Many said I'd paid over the top for a player who was already over the hill - but I sold John two years later for £7m. John battered defenders, he was virtually unplayable because of his aggression and his heart. He kept the Hammers up when relegation was looming. I think it's fair to say they are three honest professionals who changed clubs they played for - and the direction of my own career.

Firstly, I don't think the saggy faced twat could pat himself on his back any louder at the beginning. Secondly, he just won't stop banging on about Joe Cole. And finally, for a manager that detests his 'wheeler-dealer' tag, he doesn't do himself any favours with his top 3 signings ever.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I hope his Grandson's Wii Remote slips out of his hand and twats the old saggy faced tax dodging stain on football right in his old flappy chops.

I hope his Grandson's Wii Remote slips out of his hand and twats the old saggy faced tax dodging stain on football right in his old flappy chops.

;D

I'm not a fan but I think what's he's said is fair enough. There are far too many boring clichéd interviews in football as it is without expecting managers to just come out and say everything's fine even when such a massive bollock has been dropped.