Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

I wonder if Pardew would consider resting Ba and trying him off Best?

At least that way we would have someone to hole the ball up up top and for HBA and the wide players to work off.

Yeah; theoretically he'd certainly be more suited to playing off Best, rather than Ba. The latter doesn't appear to be a target man in the slightest. I'm sure i remember reading that Ba even used to play left of a front three?

Tbh, i agree with those who say we should try him out on the wing. Would be really tempted to put him down the right.

Didn't Pardew insinuate that HBA doesn't have any interest in playing out wide or something similar to that?

Thought it was more Pardew doesn't have any interest in playing him there?

“My view is that he can’t play out wide. He has not got the relish for it and his best football comes through the middle."

“I won’t play him on the side. I don’t think he wants to play there, I don’t he enjoys playing there and therefore my gut feeling is that footballers won’t play their best if they’re not happy in the position they’re in.

“I remember playing Jermain Defoe on the side when I was at West Ham. Within ten minutes I could tell he didn’t want to play there, it was a waste of time so I stuck him through the middle and Jermain was Jermain.

“Ben Arfa’s motivation is to play through the middle of the pitch - he needs to earn that right. He accepted that in pre-season, he worked very, very hard and that’s what we’ll be looking for him to do when he comes back in and around the team.”

ben arfa is like beardsley, his motivation is to get the ball ,using space and technique, it may mean finding space in the middle or out wide. within our current very standard midfield 4 it cuts down the space for him to look for the ball in.

Not sure what your points have to do with me saying he's apparently got little motivation to play on the wing?

What's changed since last season then, and the rest of his career where he's played wide? Seems an odd change in mood if true (I don't believe it is I think Pardew doesn't fancy him there for one reason or another)

At least that way we would have someone to hole the ball up up top and for HBA and the wide players to work off.

Yeah; theoretically he'd certainly be more suited to playing off Best, rather than Ba. The latter doesn't appear to be a target man in the slightest. I'm sure i remember reading that Ba even used to play left of a front three?

Tbh, i agree with those who say we should try him out on the wing. Would be really tempted to put him down the right.

Didn't Pardew insinuate that HBA doesn't have any interest in playing out wide or something similar to that?

“My view is that he can’t play out wide. He has not got the relish for it and his best football comes through the middle."

“I won’t play him on the side. I don’t think he wants to play there, I don’t he enjoys playing there and therefore my gut feeling is that footballers won’t play their best if they’re not happy in the position they’re in.

“I remember playing Jermain Defoe on the side when I was at West Ham. Within ten minutes I could tell he didn’t want to play there, it was a waste of time so I stuck him through the middle and Jermain was Jermain.

“Ben Arfa’s motivation is to play through the middle of the pitch - he needs to earn that right. He accepted that in pre-season, he worked very, very hard and that’s what we’ll be looking for him to do when he comes back in and around the team.”

ben arfa is like beardsley, his motivation is to get the ball ,using space and technique, it may mean finding space in the middle or out wide. within our current very standard midfield 4 it cuts down the space for him to look for the ball in.

Not sure what your points have to do with me saying he's apparently got little motivation to play on the wing?

i doubt he'll have much motivation if told "play through the middle"

Or is it that Pardew knows he hasn't got any interest in playing out wide so is either playing him in the number 10 role or benching him?

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the offer of a role off a striker was what was offered to him to get him to sign.

i doubt he'll have much motivation if told "play through the middle"

Or is it that Pardew knows he hasn't got any interest in playing out wide so is either playing him in the number 10 role or benching him?

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the offer of a role off a striker was what was offered to him to get him to sign.

more likely he was told he'd have a free role, like cabaye was told he'd have a "quarterback" role. the problem is we don't have the personnel to play him behind a front 2 or him in front of a 4.

The fundamental of all of this, is that if he was back on top form by Christmas, it would be fucking good going. It could even take him the season. We're forgetting that he's actually got to adapt to the league, never mind recover from an horrendous injury lay-off. It's easy to forget a couple of things purely due to the 12 months of hype and anticipation. Can't really blame people, but i hope nobody turns on him when he doesn't improve instantly.

I think he'll be better replacing Obertan on the wing, but it's f***ing idiotic to suggest he cannot play off a striker. It's also idiotic to compare him to Peter Beardsley.

Exactly, Ben Arfa had already won a few league titles whilst Beardsley was knocking about in Canada at the same age.

I think he'll be better replacing Obertan on the wing, but it's f***ing idiotic to suggest he cannot play off a striker. It's also idiotic to compare him to Peter Beardsley.

it's not idiotic, it's a general description. instead of using a full page description of the role i'd say "like beardsley" to describe a similar role i would give him.

Really disappointed in Hatem tonight, he just didn't get into the game at all and barely touched the ball. I'd like to say it was due to the midfield not giving him the ball but he barely offered himself all night. We looked a lot better when he went off as we ended up carrying him in the end.

Not too concerned at this stage but tonight was a big opportunity for him to show his worth and he didn't take it. Back to the bench on Monday night, unfortunately.

Really disappointed in Hatem tonight, he just didn't get into the game at all and barely touched the ball. I'd like to say it was due to the midfield not giving him the ball but he barely offered himself all night. We looked a lot better when he went off as we ended up carrying him in the end.

Not too concerned at this stage but tonight was a big opportunity for him to show his worth and he didn't take it. Back to the bench on Monday night, unfortunately.

Disappointing to hear this like.

Guest Geordiesned

Poor tonight. Didn't work with Ba and too often too far away from him. Didn't read a few flick ons from Ba and ran down a few blind alleys. Massive opportunity wasted.