Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Don't see what NUFC have done wrong over this at all.

We haven't shot our mouths off, we haven't done anything except go after a player who would be good for us. If we can't afford him that's a bad outcome... but we all know our spending power is limited.

We haven't done anything wrong other than not be flush with cash, there's just a bit of an all or nothing attitude on here. We're either fantastic or s***.

"At least we tried" cuts it nowadays, does it..? How the mighty have fallen..

Well yeh! If it's a genuine attempt. What else can you do other than try?

You think we will move onto another target now? Or just not bother which is the general theme regarding our transfer policy since Ashley took over.

I for one would never defend our pathetic transfer success over the past seasons and it's one of the many reasons I hate the current board. But a genuine attempt at buying someone can't be bettered. It's just not possible.

This tbh. I've spent the vast majority of my time on this board slagging off Ashley something rotten and getting stick for unknowingly holding up banners calling him a rapist but this deal is towards the back of The Big Book of Mike Ashley f*** Ups. We negotiated a (very, very good) deal which was satisfactory to all parties until Dassier changed his mind and went mental. I'd love us to swoop in with a bid and rescue the situation but if the money isn't there then it isn't there.

We don’t know a deal was agreed. All we have to go on are some vague comments from the OM president and a denial that anything is happening at all from Hughton. What can’t be denied though is that the club have been shopping in the bargain basement for some time now and players like Arfa generally can’t be picked up on the cheap.

The odds have always been against us securing Arfa’s services. We might yet get lucky or we might end up getting Marlon King instead.

He more or less said a deal was agreed, the press said a deal was agreed. Vague comments or not it's the firmest indication we have of what was going on and considering the sheer amount of guesswork in this thread I think it's the safest avenue to go down.

You think the safest avenue to go down is to presume a deal was agreed, when it's become evident since then that no such thing was the case? Aye, makes sense..  :crazy2:

Don't know why we even bothered our arses getting promoted tbh. Some people will wank themselves silly about spending fuck all, those for who 'not doing a Portsmouth' is the number one priority. Those of us who would like a successful football club however are left to wonder when this nightmare will end. Sir Bobby will be spinning in his grave.

Don't know why we even bothered our arses getting promoted tbh. Some people will w*** themselves silly about spending f*** all, those for who 'not doing a Portsmouth' is the number one priority. Those of us who would like a successful football club however are left to wonder when this nightmare will end. Sir Bobby will be spinning in his grave.

I don't see why people are so keen to sign him.

He walked out of training - and this is the sort of player we want at our club?

The main reason we did so well last season was because of the team harmony - seems to me like he's going to come in and disrupt it straight away,

The main reason we did so well last season was because of the poor quality of the other teams tbh. Team harmony had very little to do with it.

Guest BooBoo

Of course it did. In 08/09 we had a team good enough to comfortably stay up but went down because we had a bunch of shits playing for us who couldn't give a toss.

I don't see why people are so keen to sign him.

He walked out of training - and this is the sort of player we want at our club?

The main reason we did so well last season was because of the team harmony - seems to me like he's going to come in and disrupt it straight away,

The main reason we did so well last season was because of the poor quality of the other teams tbh. Team harmony had very little to do with it.

Very true i was amazed at the sub standard of the championship....as our team stands now i can just see us being over ran in midfield constantly putting more pressure on our defence...can see us taking some spankings this coming season

Of course it did. In 08/09 we had a team good enough to comfortably stay up but went down because we had a bunch of shits playing for us who couldn't give a toss.

That doesn't necessarily make the reverse statement through for last season though, does it. I'd agree with Shearergoal that the MAIN reason we did well last season was because of the poor opposition, unless you wish to believe we would have comfortably reached European qualification last season despite what happened the season before had we managed to take a point from AV..?

That doesn't necessarily make the reverse statement through for last season though, does it. I'd agree with Shearergoal that the MAIN reason we did well last season was because of the poor opposition, unless you wish to believe we would have comfortably reached European qualification last season despite what happened the season before had we managed to take a point from AV..?

I still think what he's trying to say is correct though.

If we had the same team from last season, with the same spirit and harmony, playing in 08-09, we would not have went down.

It was a combination of piss-poor management, bad timing and overpaid underperforming pre-madonas as to why we went down.

Owen -> Best

Martins -> n/a

Duff -> Routledge

Bassong -> Williamson/Campbell

Beye -> Simpson

Geremi -> Perch

Butt -> n/a

Given -> n/a

N'Zogbia -> n/a

Yes, I can see why replacing (or not) those "shits who couldn't give a toss" for the players with great morale we've taken on will see us do far better this season.  :crazy2:

Guest secteur2010

Torn about this now. Was looking forward to the prospect of a very, very good player coming to NUFC and hopefully doing well over this season. Now though, with him allegedly 'going on strike/putting his career on hold' at OM to get his move, I just wonder if it's not all sunshine and light at NE1, what his attitude would be?

Cannot get away from the fact he is a good player though.

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2010/20100813_093230_ben-arfa-pourrait-arreter-le-football.html

Apparently Ben Arfa (according to L'Equipe), is going to "put his career on hold" in an effort to push this deal through. He's willing to give up wages and not play etc.

Crazy stuff :)

wtf man, how can that be true?  what on earth has he been promised to come to us? :lol:

I'll say it again, he's Marseilles player and if they don't think they are getting a good deal they won't let him go. If it was my club in their position I wouldn't expect them to act any different. We might still get him and save a few bob, but more than likely we'll go out and sign another Leon Best when this one falls through. That one will go through like a shot I can guarantee.

This website should be renamed doom-mongers&bipolar-online.

Lighten up people, the seasons just about to start. No matter how self-opinionated you are, in reality you have no idea how this next 9months is gonna pan out.

And a word on HBA, this president sounds like an absolute waster.

To be fair to HBA, the club, president and manager didn't want him this time last week and he looked to be on his way.  Then for them to do a complete u-turn, due to another player trying to be offloaded, I think he's fine in refusing to play/wages/etc.

Fingers crossed player power in this casew wins through. Still not sure why he'd want to come here.  Must be the weather. 

:rolleyes:

Owen -> Best

Martins -> n/a

Duff -> Routledge

Bassong -> Williamson/Campbell

Beye -> Simpson

Geremi -> Perch

Butt -> n/a

Given -> n/a

N'Zogbia -> n/a

Yes, I can see why replacing (or not) those "shits who couldn't give a toss" for the players with great morale we've taken on will see us do far better this season.  :crazy2:

You obviously never watched Duff play for us did you? WInger my fucking arse! Ive never seen someone so terrified to take a man on, and so ready to blame anyone but himself when he lost the ball. All that arm waving carry on.

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2010/20100813_093230_ben-arfa-pourrait-arreter-le-football.html

Apparently Ben Arfa (according to L'Equipe), is going to "put his career on hold" in an effort to push this deal through. He's willing to give up wages and not play etc.

Crazy stuff :)

Does this guy think we're someone else ?? Not used to players doing this to join us, leave us yes but not join us lol

Ashley's probably sold him his plan to break even in five years and he wants to be a part of that.

Even better, Dekka's convinced him "We'll be challenging for the lot in five years"

Ashley's probably sold him his plan to break even in five years and he wants to be a part of that.

Even better, Dekka's convinced him "We'll be challenging for the lot in five years"

Mine was a joke.