Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Big Mike did tell us through his sterling communique that Newcastle wouldn't be admitting to anything regarding transfers this Summer! So far I like his style, complete opposite of Fat Freddy and his:

"How yee, fat kid, tell everyone we ganna be signing Ronaldo. Go on, young 'un, naff off and tell the world!"

Oh wow, that just reminded me of FS pledge to reveal an earth-shattering signing or sommat... and then our, erm, attempt to get Wayne Rooney. Seems like a distant dream.

Can you remember the 'We can sign any defender in the world' comment a week before we signed Andy O'Brien?

Not a bad lineup even if we don't sign another striker

Harper

Taylor       Sol           Coloccini    Jose

Routledge  Barton    Guthrie     Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Nolan who will be club captain is a certainty to be in the team.....guthrie just doesnt have it to cut it at prem level as we will find out

Harper

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Nolan who will be club captain is a certainty to be in the team.....guthrie just doesnt have it to cut it at prem level as we will find out

so replace nolan for guthrie?

Harper

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Even if you stick fatty Nolan in there instead of Guthrie, it still looks pretty tidy

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I don't like to think of Kevin Nolan playing in central midfield, in the Premier League. Not even worth thinking about!

Harper

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Either does Nolan. Infact I have far more faith in Guthrie doing so than fatboy.

I don't like to think of Kevin Nolan playing in central midfield, in the Premier League. Not even worth thinking about!

Agreed. We we're completely overran that way against Championship teams, not worth thinking about against a decent PL side....

German newspaper "kicker" claims Ben Arfa won't be going to Hoffenheim. They normally are spot on with their news.

which does not mean he will be coming here either

yes i still refuse to believe this is a possibility

German newspaper "kicker" claims Ben Arfa won't be going to Hoffenheim. They normally are spot on with their news.

which does not mean he will be coming here either

yes i still refuse to believe this is a possibility

I haven't said that. I was just saying that he won't be going there.

That is interesting.  If they are relaible it is really good news as all the signs were that Hoffenheim were the most viable option.

Guest neesy111

That is interesting.  If they are relaible it is really good news as all the signs were that Hoffenheim were the most viable option.

hmm, making me feel more comfortable

That's why I posted it.

I thought from what I've heard yesterday that he'll either go to us or Hoffenheim.

Link?

I still buy some newspaper that is actually made of paper, you know.

Will look for some link, though.

Link?

I still buy some newspaper that is actually made of paper, you know.

Will look for some link, though.

blasphemy

We are going to need to buy a much better DM if we are going to be using 2 wingers, neither will offer the necessary cover defensively to help the likes of Smith at this level.

Shame the Arevalo deal isnt real.

Barton will do as DM.

Barton is a box to box midfielder, as is Guthrie as is Gosling. We need someone to just sit in front of the back 4 and break attacks up. The only person who barely resembles that is Smith, and he's not exactly an expert at it.

No we don't. We seemed to do alright when we had Speed and Lee together.

That is ages since mate, football evolve.

Pretty much all the good teams have a good DM to offload the defence.

And it allows the fullbacks to go on offensive runs more often.

It might be the most important role for our team next year....

But not someone who "just sits in front of the back 4" like you suggested.

Schweinsteiger would be a brilliant example for a perfect DM nowadays.

Does he only sit back? No.

Edit: Sorry, you didn't suggest that.  :lol:  :doh:

Hehe, no i dident :)

But i still disagree with you regarding Schweinsteiger.

He is more box-box, and Bayern and Germany benefit most from he`s offencive work.

I acctualy think Sami Khedira on the other hand, is more of a good midfield anchor imo.

*If we are comparing DE WC preformance. O0

At the World Cup, Khedira was attacking more than Schweinsteiger was.

You are right i think, dident check my facts before posting khedira was not a good example.

But my statment stands, as i dont think Schweinsteiger is that kind of protective DM as i was thinking about.

I was thinking more in the tracks of Mascherano, Busquets and to a extend Carrick and mikel...

I might be wrong about Schweinsteiger, but i am under the impression that he roams forward to much to be concidered a good DM.

We are going to need to buy a much better DM if we are going to be using 2 wingers, neither will offer the necessary cover defensively to help the likes of Smith at this level.

Barton will do as DM.

Barton is a box to box midfielder, as is Guthrie as is Gosling. We need someone to just sit in front of the back 4 and break attacks up. The only person who barely resembles that is Smith, and he's not exactly an expert at it.

It might be the most important role for our team next season....

if you are going to play two orthodox wide men in a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) then don't have a DM. 2 clever box to boxers are much better. yes pretty much all the good team have a good DM, pretty much none of them play a standard 4-4-2 like we look to be sizing up for.

Link?

Can't find a link on their website, only link I can find is this:

http://www.fussballtransfers.com/hoffenheim-lauft-die-zeit-davon_article10994.html

Die Verhandlungen wurden aufgenommen, 1899 soll rund fünf Millionen Euro geboten haben.

Laut Informationen des ‚kicker’ hat sich der Transfer allerdings zerschlagen.

Harper

Ben Arfa

Carroll

I don't see how anyone can claim Guthrie is any less or more likely to be successful than Barton in the PL

Barton will do as DM.

It might be the most important role for our team next season....

if you are going to play two orthodox wide men in a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) then don't have a DM. 2 clever box to boxers are much better. yes pretty much all the good team have a good DM, pretty much none of them play a standard 4-4-2 like we look to be sizing up for.

I see your point, but i still disagree.

442 old school style did not have a dedicated DM, but most have it now.

They are not so defensive as in a 433 or 4231, but they are there, and they do a job.

When Manu are playing 442, carrick usually play DM. He holds back and play in support.

He is a deep defensive playmaker when in attack, and a "protector" when in defence.

He is there to interupt a counter attack, and try to break down play.

Two box-box will leave a massive hole infront of the center backs.

Exposing them for a lot of pressure, especially on counter attacks.

Wingbacks will be forced to stay more in defence due to this.