Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

the most important players aren't always the best ones. for all nolan's weaknesses, he has a knack of scoring goals, which justifies his selection.  its delicate because nolan is the figurehead of the team spirit that transformed this club and, although its dangerous to let off-pitch popularity affect the teamsheet, nolan is just useful enough to keep around the first team, at least in rotation. the difficulty for hughton is to judge at what point selecting nolan turns into loyalty, rather than quality (because lets face it, ben arfa is much better than him). this is where hughton earns his money.

So who would you drop for Ben Arfa?

for the short term, im not sure. imo ben arfa has to play because he is on another level to the others, but nolan still has an important role to play. routledge consistently plays well, barton makes us tick, jonas and jose are wonderful and tiote destroys. i'm excited to see how hughton does it though. in conclusion, i'd sometimes drop nolan, sometimes jonas.

Easy, as soon as Ben Arfa has played 24 games.

I think the club will be dilighted if they have to sign Ben Arfa, I can't see them dropping him unless he's not good enough.

Sorry, was being flippant.

Ben Arfa paying in more than 25 of the remaining 35 games would mean he's doing the business. He's probably not suited to all of our fixtures but his quality will mean we'll need him to get us a goal in loads of games. We're going to be involved in a lot of close games this season and him turning a draw into a win or a loss into a draw could be vital.

I think he's pretty much nailed on as the first name on the team sheet with Enrique. He's simply on a completely different level to anyone else in our squad and I'm still pinching myself we've signed him.

I've just seen a goal he scored direct from a freekick on youtube. It goes in, hits the back of the net and starts to come back out then hits the inside of the post and goes back in.

bet he deliberatly meant it to do that aswell.

I've just seen a goal he scored direct from a freekick on youtube. It goes in, hits the back of the net and starts to come back out then hits the inside of the post and goes back in.

bet he deliberatly meant it to do that aswell.

Yes.  :rolleyes:

Guest firetotheworks

I'm starting to wonder where he'll play now. As much as I don't like Nolan as anything other than a goal scorer, he's had a good start to the season, and seems like the spear head of the good morale around the team, but then if you keep him in you'd have to take away one of Jonas and Routledge who have both been great, and probably undroppable at the moment. Routledge for being great, and Jonas for being good and having a great relationship with Jose.

It's a tough one if they all continue their form.

I'm starting to wonder where he'll play now. As much as I don't like Nolan as anything other than a goal scorer, he's had a good start to the season, and seems like the spear head of the good morale around the team, but then if you keep him in you'd have to take away one of Jonas and Routledge who have both been great, and probably undroppable at the moment. Routledge for being great, and Jonas for being good and having a great relationship with Jose.

I would say Smith is more likely to be dropped, however Tiote could still be the one to replace him.

I would say Smith is more likely to be dropped, however Tiote could still be the one to replace him.

:lol:

Guest VegasToon

Nolan is a good guy, but we don't need good guys to survive.  We need talent.  Ben Afra will play instead of Nolan.

This international break is a b******.

On this occasion, I disagree. It could not have come at a better time for us. As far as I can see, CH has practically a full squad to pick from apart from long term injuries and the limited number of players away on international duty. If Tiote is not away and with Ben Arfa not being selected for AFrance having not trained for 2 weeks, it will give these lads a chance to bed in with their new teams, arrange all their personal matters as well and allow management a good look at what they can do and how they will benefit the team.

Basically CH has two clear weeks to work with his squad and it also gives the likes of Campbell and Guthrie additional time to get fit. He wouild also be wise to arrange a couple of behind closed doors friendlies for these lads too.

I would hope that if Andy Carroll hasnt trained for a few days before the Wolves game, the club would be sensible enough to ensure he withdraws from the England U21 squad.

Guest firetotheworks

This international break is a b******.

On this occasion, I disagree. It could not have come at a better time for us. As far as I can see, CH has practically a full squad to pick from apart from long term injuries and the limited number of players away on international duty. If Tiote is not away and with Ben Arfa not being selected for AFrance having not trained for 2 weeks, it will give these lads a chance to bed in with their new teams, arrange all their personal matters as well and allow management a good look at what they can do and how they will benefit the team.

Basically CH has two clear weeks to work with his squad and it also gives the likes of Campbell and Guthrie additional time to get fit. He wouild also be wise to arrange a couple of behind closed doors friendlies for these lads too.

I would hope that if Andy Carroll hasnt trained for a few days before the Wolves game, the club would be sensible enough to ensure he withdraws from the England U21 squad.

So long as no one gets injured, I agree.

Taking possible injuries while on international duty out of it, I would think that both of our new players would want to get a game for us ASAP.  Plus being selfish, I want to see them play for us.

My gut feeling is that Hughton will be rotating Nolan with Barton. Tiote will be the anchor, the two wingers will remain and Ben Arfa will play behind Carroll. Of course if one of the wingers is having a shit day, Arfa can replace him on the wing leaving both Barton and Nolan to support Carroll from the centre (probably against team with a more physical approach coz I don't think it gets tougher than Tiote, Barton, Nolan and Carroll through the middle).

The beauty of this is that we can now change our emphasis of attack either through the wings or from the centre. Happy days!  :clap:

From an OM fan on TT, worth a read:

"(To understand his strange personnality you have to know that when he was a teenager he was already a star because he has been taking part in a TV programme following young football players in the Academy of Clairefontaine (the most prestigious academy for young players).

In this TV show all the players were born in the same year, except Ben Arfa, he was the youngest because he was too good for the child in his category.

(One of the other teenager in this program was Abou Diaby of Arsenal FC)

The problem is, being so good, he did not learn to work hard and believed he could become Maradona just playing like he used to play in the street.

And the TV programme did not help him because when TV viewers saw his magic skills he became instantly a star and the most promising french player . He was only 12 years old in the first season of the TV programme.

In the programme, we also saw Jean-Michel Aulas (awful chairman of Olympique de Lyon) coming in Clairefontaine to sign him a great contract to incorporate the Academy of Lyon. He was sure to be rich before the beginning of his career ! He was only 15 years old !!!

He was european champion with France U17 in 2004. This same year he played 9 matches with professional team of Lyon. he had his first selection for french national team (don't laugh, we were all victims of Domenech) when he was only 20 years old. First selection and first goal, in 2007. Elected best young player in 2008.

With Lyon he won the french championship 4 times ! And in 2010 with OM off course.

All was easy for him and he did not need to work. This is why he's different of other players and why he fails to become like a Cristiano Ronaldo or a Lionel Messi : he did'nt learn to work hard.

Now he has understood that he had to make efforts but he lacks of tactical knowledge : he did not learn during his formation because he just had to play as he played in the street to win, to score, to be a star and to win money.

Now he has grown up and he knows that he needs training and learning but he will always have lacks in tactic).

The other problem for him in France is that he was so expected, when he fails to dribble someone or when he plays bad in a match everybody criticize immoderatly. it's excessive, he does not have right to fail, when he fails a pass it's "the end of the world" for the journalists. They want him to be the best and don't understand that he's just a football player, not a God. I think playing in an other country will be good for him because he will be like a normal player, with the same judgements than other players.)"

"(To understand his strange personnality you have to know that when he was a teenager he was already a star because he has been taking part in a TV programme following young football players in the Academy of Clairefontaine (the most prestigious academy for young players).

In this TV show all the players were born in the same year, except Ben Arfa, he was the youngest because he was too good for the child in his category.

(One of the other teenager in this program was Abou Diaby of Arsenal FC)

The problem is, being so good, he did not learn to work hard and believed he could become Maradona just playing like he used to play in the street.

And the TV programme did not help him because when TV viewers saw his magic skills he became instantly a star and the most promising french player . He was only 12 years old in the first season of the TV programme.

In the programme, we also saw Jean-Michel Aulas (awful chairman of Olympique de Lyon) coming in Clairefontaine to sign him a great contract to incorporate the Academy of Lyon. He was sure to be rich before the beginning of his career ! He was only 15 years old !!!

He was european champion with France U17 in 2004. This same year he played 9 matches with professional team of Lyon. he had his first selection for french national team (don't laugh, we were all victims of Domenech) when he was only 20 years old. First selection and first goal, in 2007. Elected best young player in 2008.

With Lyon he won the french championship 4 times ! And in 2010 with OM off course.

All was easy for him and he did not need to work. This is why he's different of other players and why he fails to become like a Cristiano Ronaldo or a Lionel Messi : he did'nt learn to work hard.

Now he has understood that he had to make efforts but he lacks of tactical knowledge : he did not learn during his formation because he just had to play as he played in the street to win, to score, to be a star and to win money.

Now he has grown up and he knows that he needs training and learning but he will always have lacks in tactic).

The other problem for him in France is that he was so expected, when he fails to dribble someone or when he plays bad in a match everybody criticize immoderatly. it's excessive, he does not have right to fail, when he fails a pass it's "the end of the world" for the journalists. They want him to be the best and don't understand that he's just a football player, not a God. I think playing in an other country will be good for him because he will be like a normal player, with the same judgements than other players.)"

Thanks for that, Parky, that's a good read, and makes a lot of sense in explaining why his career has failed to take off, and why he's had problems with team mates and managers.

We might just be offering the right opportunity for him, so despite the risk, I'm optimistic that he'll adjust. I also think that Hughton is the right kind of authority figure for him. It was interesting during the transfer saga, we had his manager and his club president coming out with all sorts of sarcastic remarks, that didn't create a good impression. Somehow Ben Arfa's Dad was part of the drama as well and I wonder how helpful he was.

Hughton I'd see as like one of those teachers at school who didn't shout or have a go, but who you didn't play up because you actually wanted to earn his respect.

Good read that. The last paragraph sounds like our fans though.

dont know about that, it seems the fans have already made their decision to like him so he'll get longer than most. they decided to like and back barton regardless and he's had very little stick inside the ground for 3 years of poor performances.

As good as Ben Arfa and Tiote are/may be no-one should be dropped until they actually under-perform. It wouldn't send the right message to anyone wanting a first team spot, to simply put them straight in.

The lads are doing well as they are, and the lads who are pushing for a place beat Accrington and confidence and morale is high throughout. This is through the belief that if you play well in the 2nd string you will be put in the 1st team as soon as an opportunity arises.

Hughton has done excellent to obtain this belief, and I can't see him being stupid enough t wreck it.

Ideally, I'd like to see Tiote and Ben Arfa get their first starts first Chelsea in the cup. It's a perfect opportunity.

Nolan is probably my 2nd favourite player at the club, after José, so I am likely to defend him, but I think he is far more integral than people make out.

<snipped>

<snipped>

Hughton I'd see as like one of those teachers at school who didn't shout or have a go, but who you didn't play up because you actually wanted to earn his respect.

You are so right with this comment.

Let's hope Hughton has this kind of influence on Hatem Ben Arfa.

And thanks Parky for posting that comment from the OM fan, excellent read.

And he's coming to a team with a supporter base that bashes players after a couple of games, this worry me a bit.

Seems like people expect this guy to come in and create hell going forward.

I'm more worried about his relationship with his team-mates. He seems very immature. Hopefully the language barrier will mean he won't get into verbal confrontations sooner than he can suss out where he fits in.

His statement 'I can't wait to show the fans what I can do' was a bit naive. He needs to show his team mates what he can contribute to them, if this is going to work.