Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think we're the right club for him at this stage of his career, and he recognises that. I can see him staying at least a couple of seasons here.

Before too long, he'll be a marked man, and the test will be how he deals with that. I think he has the talent to deal with being closed down, but obviously it'll be more of a struggle for him. It'll be a test of his temperament as much as his skill.`

But from what I saw of the Everton game, he's even better than I thought he might be. There can't be many players who are better than their youtube clips.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

http://www.foot01.com/equipe/marseille/ben-arfa-newcastle-c-est-comme-l-om,angleterre,59745

The French international has returned to his first tenure with Newcastle, marked by the only goal of the game and gorgeous face Everton this Saturday (0-1). For the player on loan from Olympique Marseille, it was hard to do better.

"For me, these are the beginnings of a dream. I looked before me and I shot, simply. We had to catch the most points lost at home to Blackpool last week, and we knew it would be difficult to Everton, but I never thought that would happen as well, Hatem Ben Arfa has admitted that n ' has not hesitated to make the comparison between his new and his old club.

"Arriving in Newcastle, a new championship is always a risk. But I soon realized that I found a club like OM finally. The passion of fans is the same, everyone in town talks of nothing but football, and there are great players here. All this can take us very far this season, even if not for the moment that the championship ", said the former Lyon, who also admitted having had contacts developed while he was with Everton looking for a new club. The Toffees have them bite the fingers. @hatem ben arfa

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=825107&sec=england&cc=5739

Hughton hints at permanent move for Ben Arfa

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton says Hatem Ben Arfa took a step towards a permanent deal with the club after scoring a stunning goal against Everton on Saturday.

Ben Arfa, who has joined the club on loan from Marseille for the season, marked his first start for the Magpies with the only goal of the game at Goodison Park and looked to be a positive addition to the club's midfield.

Hughton was suitably impressed and suggested Newcastle will look to take up their option to sign the France international on a permanent deal.

"He has that quality, that something that's a little bit different that could make the Newcastle fans really take to him," Hughton said. "It was a very encouraging performance from a player who gives us new options on the left.

"It was a great debut, but the key is whether he can produce that kind of thing on a consistent basis. If he can, then I'm sure we'll be looking at making his move permanent. There's a long way to go before that though."

Everton were one of the clubs that Ben Arfa rejected in order to pursue a move to Newcastle, and the former Lyon star says that while joining the promoted side was something of a risk, he is happy with the choice he made.

When asked whether he could have joined Everton, Ben Arfa said: "No, not really. There was a lot of talk but Newcastle were the ones who wanted me and they are the club I have agreed to join, and if other clubs did want me then I hope I can show at Newcastle why they wanted me.

"Sometimes in football you have to take a risk. I knew about Newcastle and when I came there for the first time, you could see how big it was. It may have been newly-promoted but it didn't feel like it because there are so many good players at the club - and you could see that on Saturday.

"We should be ambitious but we also have to be calm and remember it's pretty early in the season. There is plenty of character in this team so we'll see how far we can take it.

"Newcastle are a big, big club with some really astonishing supporters. When I came here, I wondered what I would find but I am surrounded by some really good players, who will take us far. It is exactly the sort of club that I left behind in Marseille.

"They have the same passion among the supporters, the same sense that the club dominates everything in the city. It is a great thing when you play in front of passionate fans. You want to give them something back, you want to play for them, do your best for them. I am very, very happy that they saw us win and that I scored for them."

Guest firetotheworks

Jonas can do the same thing, just in a style that we're a bit bored of now that we've seen it every game for the last 2 years.

Jonas can do the same thing, just in a style that we're a bit bored of now that we've seen it every game for the last 2 years.

It's not quite the same though. Jonas is an excellent dribbler but he doesn't really go anywhere with it and it rarely opens up an opportunity. The run MOTD highlighted, should have led to a Carroll goal is a direct threat to the opposition where as Jonas' are more of an 'indirect' threat.

I worry about us losing him tbh. I guess it was a sensible move to bring him in on loan but the danger is if he's a big success, other more successful clubs will be sniffing around. Even though apparently we have an agreed fee, it'll only take a Manure, Arsenal or Chelsea to have a word in his agent's ear and we won't be able to agree personal terms.

So what? I'd much rather we get to see a good player and the relative success that comes with it than he be shit in the first place.

Honestly can't understand people worrying. He's here for the season, just enjoy it.

Breath of fresh air ,fantastic starting debut and imho this guy will give us so much pleasure if we can keep our momentum going ,he will rip opposing midfielders and defenders apart and this sort of player we have been craving for many a year  :clap:

Thought id bump my own quote  :snod:

Guest firetotheworks

Lets get a french speaking Goalkeeper in for back-up for Krul. Just so HBA is more at home. Fabien Barthez available?

Aye, for kids parties.

I Love how the powers that be, ie Hughton are playing down just how good he is saying stuff like "lets see if he can do that on a consistent basis before we think of signing him permanently" FFS man he is fucking class you numpty; just sign the fucker up sharpish ffs.

I Love how the powers that be, ie Hughton are playing down just how good he is saying stuff like "lets see if he can do that on a consistent basis before we think of signing him permanently" FFS man he is fucking class you numpty; just sign the fucker up sharpish ffs.

That's why Hughton gets paid the big bucks.  He doesn't overract like all of us on the forum. :nope:

One swallow doesnt make a summer. Can't really comment on Sat as I saw the highlights and from all accounts he played pretty well. Excellent. Needs to be consistent though and I hope he can keep it up.

:lol:

The thing that impressed me most about him was his attitude tbh in both defensive and attacking play. He doesn't have a reputation for any of his defensive attributes but he wasn't afraid to get his foot in at times and his tracking back was really good to see when we were under pressure.

In terms of attacking you can tell he has a great football brain. You get plenty of players who are technically gifted but are 'headless chickens', receiving the ball and just trying to dribble past everyone without thinking but he is nothing like that. Granted, he went on some impressive runs but more often than not he'd get the ball, look up and make a pass. He doesn't speak a word of English apparently but he was orchestrating our possession play, even when he wasn't on the ball he was constantly pointing out to other players the options around them and it's been a long time since i've seen someone do that.

One swallow doesnt make a summer. Can't really comment on Sat as I saw the highlights and from all accounts he played pretty well. Excellent. Needs to be consistent though and I hope he can keep it up.