Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

sounds like he could be the sort of nut that would say "i'm happy here so you're offer of £150,000 per week to play at eastlands doesn't intrest me"

He's passed over the chance of another possible Champions medal back in France to come here so you never know what he'll do.  I can't wait for the match and I don't know when the last time was that I felt like that in the Premiership.

i've gone past the excited stage and am now nervous about it being as let down........hell man listen to this, our combined age is about 412.

God help the lad when his inevitable few average games turn up, the praise is way beyond what he has done for the most part, great first game but needs consistency. Just hope we back him regardless as he still is far better than the likes of Jonas

He's bound to have a below par game or two and like you I hope people keep off his back when it happens as it happens to every player.

I think the fact we have needed a player we can get excited about fr so long will get him that extra bit time, a few tricks and a bit of direct play in each game and he will be a hero.

Its sad but its what we have became.

i've gone past the excited stage and am now nervous about it being as let down........hell man listen to this, our combined age is about 412.

I'm still at the excited stage, I love watching good footballers and we haven't really had one for years who could do the unexpected.  The good thing about Ben Arfa is that unlike people like Jenas, he seems to want to live in a goldfish bowl instead of trying to keep out of the limelight.  He’s nothing like Malcolm Macdonald as a player but he reminds me of him the way he goes on as Macdonald liked to be the centre of attraction.

Last weekend was the most excited I've been about a new player since Laurent Robert shredded Boro at the Riverside.

Since Tino killed Boro

Kna ya right Robert was our last real exciting player and I am very much still over the fkn moon we have got HBA and tomorrows game cannot get here soon enough.

Last weekend was the most excited I've been about a new player since Laurent Robert shredded Boro at the Riverside.

The transfer saga was a classic setup for a massive anti-climax but it didn't go that way, he lived up to the hype on here.  When was the last time any player tried as hard to come to our club?  I can't think of any in all of my time watching us, which is quite a while.

I'm still at the excited stage, I love watching good footballers and we haven't really had one for years who could do the unexpected.  The good thing about Ben Arfa is that unlike people like Jenas, he seems to want to live in a goldfish bowl instead of trying to keep out of the limelight.  He’s nothing like Malcolm Macdonald as a player but he reminds me of him the way he goes on as Macdonald liked to be the centre of attraction.

macdonald reminds me of mcenroe in that he had to whip himself up to get the adrenalin going to get the best out of himself, ben arfa isn't like that, he knows he can say "fuck off " and get away with it because he has the talent. so long as the talent is working it'll be fine, i wonder if he knows how big a chance this is for him ?

I'm still at the excited stage too, in fact he has rejuvenated my interest to near teenage levels. I'd become a bit apathetic not long after Ashley took over tbh, a change that was much needed went pear-shaped so quickly. The Keegan fiasco and ridiculous club statements had me quite despondent. This lad, and to a lesser degree Tiote, have resparked interest.

I still watch Pedro's Robert clip from time to time. By the end of this season I hope we have one for Ben Arfa that is twice as long.

Ben Arfa is better than Robert. Ben Arfa can take players on with ease, he glides past them and his final product is good.

Robert was excellent, but lets not forget he was playing in a very good midfield. We weren't reliant on Robert, I feel we willl be with Ben Arfa.

The transfer saga was a classis setup for a massive anti-climax but it didn't go that way, he lived up to the hype on here.  When was the last time any player tried as hard to come to our club?  I can't think of any in all of my time watching us, which is quite a while.

God help the lad when his inevitable few average games turn up, the praise is way beyond what he has done for the most part, great first game but needs consistency. Just hope we back him regardless as he still is far better than the likes of Jonas

He's bound to have a below par game or two and like you I hope people keep off his back when it happens as it happens to every player.

I have the same worry before every game. He seems to be the type that needs to feel fans' appreciation (which would explain why he wants to be the superstar in an average team). When he has a below average game and if we get on his back, I worry if it will lead to a downward spiral which will bring out his indiscipline and and off pitch trouble making.

After the big build up on here I was expecting a little bit of a let down, but he was excellent when he came on against Blackpool and awesome v Everton. He won't be able to play to that standard every game and I am sure most on here will understand that.

I can't wait to see him this afternoon even if it is on TV, so far all I have seen are crappy MOTD highlights and I am sure they would not have done him justice.

Guest firetotheworks

Reading that interview in the NOTW, his outlook on football is very similar to Cantona's. That's the type of player I love, but god help him if it consistently lands us in the shit. It's risky having having him, Enrique, Colo and Jonas in the team, to an extent because that's the nature of their game. Obviously it's completely worth the risk, though.

It's risky having having him, Enrique, Colo and Jonas in the team, to an extent because that's the nature of their game. Obviously it's completely worth the risk, though.

I don't understand this comment...

Ginola is the guest on Goals on Sunday. I would imagine Ben Arfa must come up at some point.

Not so far.. fkn Ginola you can see how much it means to him the time he spent here.. and the hurt we nevber won the league.

:smitten: :smitten:

It's risky having having him, Enrique, Colo and Jonas in the team, to an extent because that's the nature of their game. Obviously it's completely worth the risk, though.

I think he means they all like too much time on the ball and take risks because of it so that many players in the team with the potential to overplay and lose the ball could cost us.

I could be wrong though, that happens quite a bit.

David Ginola on Goals on Sunday was talking about wor Hatem.

- In France they believe he's the most skillful player since Zidane

- One of the best players of his generation

- Needs to be more focused on his professional career and he will be fantastic.

- We need to remember there's only one David Ginola though :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Basically, in showing how good they are, they put themselves at risk. Jose with his holding players off, and going around their outside is done time and time again, but never exposed, but until he finishes it I always worry that he'll get caught out in a very bad position, same with Colo, who is often cute with the way he plays, and Jonas who holds onto it, banking on the fact that he'll probably win a free kick. It hasn't stung us yet, but because I'm a fan, naturally a worry about every possible way that we'll concede a goal. If it's in their half I don't care, but all of them take risks in our half, and even though it worries me, I realise that to an extent I have to accept it as part of their game, especially Jose and Colo.