Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest palnese

During a 3 March 2010 friendly, de Jong broke the leg of American international Stuart Holden  in a reckless challenge, for which de Jong received a yellow card. De Jong showed no remorse, stating that "Such offenses are part of football. I went for the ball and got the opponent at the end. I had no evil intent."[5]

Would love to see his legs snapped in half.

As much as you can call him a cunt etc, it wasn't a malicious tackle.

Gutted, like.

Aye, didn't think it was too bad a challenge, just really hard. Absolutely nothing compared to what Nolan did to Anichebe for example.

Just really unfortunate what happened.

Agreed. But it's just one of those things in football, injuries happen.

No it isn't - or at least shouldn't be.

Leg breaks, shoulder dislocates etc may happen, but in the majority of cases they are accidental and due to mistimed challenges.

The intent from this foul was to put Ben Arfa out of the game. De Jong knew exactly what he was doing - going in hard to hit the man as well as the ball.

Not saying he meant to break a leg, but defiinitely went in with intent to 'get the man'. The last time I checked that isn't part of the rules of football

Today for me is the worse day supporting the club since relegation. Was angry this afternoon, just gutted now.

I'm still angry for so many reasons and I think they were all out of our control.

Guest BooBoo

Today for me is the worse day supporting the club since relegation. Was angry this afternoon, just gutted now.

Agree, it's not just that we were shafted out of a point but we've been robbed long term of a tremendous player who could have really been our talisman this season.

Sick as a chip.

Agree, it's not just that we were shafted out of a point but we've been robbed long term of a tremendous player who could have really been our talisman this season.

Sick as a chip.

Same here. :undecided:

I am very sad about this get well soon Ben Arfa our season would have been a lot better if it was on nolan instead... I hope Ben will be the same player when he recovers...

What a prick! A broken leg for any of our players is a disaster.

I tried to stay away, but here it goes. What happened today was a tragedy. All that hype, happiness and potential is now for nothing. For the team, this is a monumental blow and we're now in trouble, but HBA himself must be in tears. Did anybody catch the little thumbs up he gave as he was stretchered off?

To me it feels like the end of the world (although obviously it isnt) and one of the very worst things that could've happened to the club. After a month of following him at the airport, going on strike and the eventual delivery a world class player, to see him break his leg after 3 games and 3 minutes is heartbreaking and i was completely numb for the rest of the match. We got a glimpse of a Geordie hero and had him cruelly snatched away. Its going to be a sad few days. What might have been.....

Guest Toon1981

Totally gutted about this, obviously. 

However, is it all possible that

a) De Jong, even if he is a hacking get, didn't mean to break Ben Arfa's leg, and

b) Atkinson, at full speed, and from the angle he had at the time can be forgiven for thinking the tackle wasn't that bad?  Is it even more possible that the difference between this tackle and many others that eg Smith and Barton have dished out over the last few years was just bad luck, in particular relating to the position of Ben Arfa's standing leg?

No?  Fair enough.  Sack Atkinson and lynch De Jong etc...

WUM-tastic.

No, not really.  Been wanting us to sign any kind of playmaker to brighten up our games for about the last 5 years, and by some miracle we got an amazing player on an amazing deal etc etc and now he's knacked.

Saying that, some of our players are prone to put in horrible tackles from time to time.  Guthrie on Fagan had 10 times more intent in it than today, but the outcome today was 100 times worse.  De Jong is rank, but we're not Arsenal, that's all, and just because our best player is crocked, we're in no position to over-react about dirty midfielders.  Not while Smith, Barton, Guthrie and Nolan are all prone to a bit of the same.

Guest Heneage

I couldn't care less if De Jong's done this before, it was a really bad tackle. And come next week it will all be forgotten about.

I think the next question is, come the summer do you buy him?