Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's still an unknown quantity regardless. Unless it's for peanuts, it'd be pretty naive.

I disagree btw.

I don't get this thing of him being an unknown quantity. Does the club not have access to video or the ability to send scouts to a country that is twenty miles away? :lol: I would more likely trust the ability of someone in a side winning Ligue 1 and competing in the Champions/Europa League than some carthorse from Wolves.

I think the ideal situation for Ben Arfa is one like Van der Vaart, Arteta, etc. The talisman for a side that competes for honours, but is not a top, top team. He's not good enough for a team on this level to build around and as VI has said, he's far too volatile to be on the bench (as l'OM and OL both found out).

What's the point in mentioning his consistency? He's never been given a full season to perform tbh.

If you mean Ben Arfa, he's played in more than 30 games in the league last two seasons for Marseille and saw a lot of time for Lyon the year before. Definitely enough to analyse him.

He's still an unknown quantity regardless. Unless it's for peanuts, it'd be pretty naive.

I disagree btw.

He isn't an unknown quantity :lol:

With this injury he is. It would be a ludicrous risk to sign him right now, as Yorkie said.

Guest Heneage

I'd not rule out buying him, and I'd also reassure him that we still very much want him, and intend to purchase him even if that turns out to be a massive lie.

I disagree btw.

With this injury he is. It would be a ludicrous risk to sign him right now, as Yorkie said.

At what price? I'd sign him straight away on the premise we aren't signing anyone half as good for whatever price we pay for him. If we could potentially buy his contract for 3m or whatever then it's a no brainer.

I disagree btw.

This is completely dependent on the fee that OM are asking for. If we can acquire with relatively little effect on our accounts, then I believe it would be a risk worth taking. You also have to consider the risk of us losing the player to other teams if he does recover well from the injury.

I disagree btw.

Agree - this kind of injury affects players differently. Much of the subsequent problem can be in their head.

Some get over it but look at Shearer ; mentally very strong and played for a futher 9 years but was never as dangerous as before because he lost some speed. With Shearer we knew what we had whereas with HBA we really don't ; is it the player who scored a cracking goal at Everton or is it the one who was ineffective against Stoke ? Then there are the off-field issues he had with previous clubs.....

NUFC hasn't the money to risk so unless the trial can be extended, I wouldn't take the risk.

I disagree btw.

Agree - this kind of injury affects players differently. Much of the subsequent problem can be in their head.

Some get over it but look at Shearer ; mentally very strong and played for a futher 9 years but was never as dangerous as before because he lost some speed. With Shearer we knew what we had whereas with HBA we really don't ; is it the player who scored a cracking goal at Everton or is it the one who was ineffective against Stoke ? Then there are the off-field issues he had with previous clubs.....

NUFC hasn't the money to risk so unless the trial can be extended, I wouldn't take the risk.

Ineffective against Stoke? care to elaborate?

Was Shearer's injury not muscle/ligament based though?

Recovery from broken bones is almost purely psychological - the actual bones themselves are just as strong as before. There'll be a bit of muscle wastage from lack of activity, but that should soon return when he starts proper training.

We're right to be cautious about his return, but if it was a choice between signing him while injured and letting him go, I would personally take a risk.

He was horseshite v stoke tbf, If he's still here next season i reckon he'll be even more infuriating than robert and not half as good,

I was just reminded of Alan Pardew and his assessment of Tevez and Mascherano in the Hughton thread. This one is up there with it and it's always good for a laugh to see our fans pronounce such judgements on p[layers like HBA....because our side's just loaded with quality of course.

I disagree btw.

Would you care to outline any incidents in which he created problems for them..??

I disagree btw.

Would you care to outline any incidents in which he created problems for them..??

What's the point you're even making?  Yes it was the same player who scored against Everton.  No matter how good a player you are you won't play well every game.

It was his second start in English football for god's sake.  If we do buy him he will have more good games than bad.

Every player is a risk to an extent.  If you can find a player for less than £6m who is guaranteed to be good for us on a consistent basis then give Chris a call.

I disagree btw.

What's the point you're even making?  Yes it was the same player who scored against Everton.  No matter how good a player you are you won't play well every game.

It was his second start in English football for god's sake.  If we do buy him he will have more good games than bad.

Every player is a risk to an extent.  If you can find a player for less than £6m who is guaranteed to be good for us on a consistent basis then give Chris a call.

You have no proof that he would be as good as you say - you are basing your evidence on a good goal at Everton ' if ypu look at my post I clearly say that we don't know if we are getting a player who represents the goal at Everton or the nondescript performance v Stoke...in other words, we have no proof if he is worth a large fee ; 2 previous managers of major French clubs clearly didn't believe he was necessary to their sides.

You state he  will have more good games than bad yet you haven't an OUNCE of evidence to back up that statement.

Every player is NOT as big a risk as one we know little about and has a somewhat chequered history with his previous clubs - we need the trial extending because as you may remember, NUFC has wasted millions on players who turned out to be less than great...Martins and Luque for 2, only we were lucky enough to get most of the money back from Martins...look where HE is now....

If you can't see the point I am making you are deliberately avoiding it.

Ben Arfa is proven on a bigger scene than NUFC. Just because you don't watch much French football and/or CL matches for non-English teams does not change the fact we already know what Ben Arfa is capable of. Only risk in signing him would be what effect the injury would have on him mentally as by all accounts he'll physically be back the way he were. Then again I'm not worried about his mental state either given just how big his ego is.

For the record I think it'd be worth the gamble signing him up permanently as we'll probably not be close to a player of Ben Arfa's qualities for that price in ages. Not to mention that due to the "small" transfer fee we'd probably recoup most of, if not all/make a profit, if we had to sell him on for whatever reason.

I disagree btw.

If you didn't see them then what's the point? He was our best player in the first half, his dribbling alone opened up plenty of space, but then you need movement from other players to benefit from it. Tbh even if he had a shit game it's beside the point. If you can't see a good player there then you aren't much different to the West Ham fans who whinged about Mascherano and Tevez.