Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Nolan's quickly becoming one of my all-time Newcastle favourites. Seems like a captain in every sense of the word.

Not long ago (was it even a week?) where someone said making him captain was a mistake.

I've laid into Nolan as much as any but his leadership skills are absolutely unquestionable.

God i still get waves of anger about this whole thing. Still can't believe it fucking happend. I hate Nigel De Jong.

Ditto. Looking forward to Boxing Day, he's going to get some serious abuse.

Could of Ben Arfa's injury be a blessing in disguise actually with the pairing now of Shola and Carroll upfront now and looking excellent as an partnership.

Don't be daft. :lol:

Tell me of a player you would drop for Ben Arfa currently (if he was fit), because I can't tbh.

lay off the heroin :lol:

Guest rabit71

i can see neesy's point tbh

how many people on the arsenal thread have said "keep it the same"

its got to be shola though

I'm thinking that if Marseilles is willing to sell right now (or in January) that we should take the offer and buy this guy.  I think the risk is outweighed by the possibility that he'll still be as good.

I agree, also for the simple fact that this is a very rare chance to get a player of top quality.

Although I've agreed with our sensible buying policy recently, I think this is a chance to make an exception and really reap the rewards. He's potentially a £10m-£20m player if he fulfils his potential.

Guest Stephen927

We've coped magnificentally without him. Before this thread was bumped I had forgotten he was still on our books. Hopefully our run will continue and we'll still be in a strong position when he gets back to full fitness. Hopefully he'll help to push us on a bit more.

Wonder how different our results would have been before his injury. Ameobi would still be on the bench. Interesting thought, we might even have done better but in a way it was kind of a blessing in disguise, because our formation changed as a result of his injury.

Just imagine him playing instead of Nolan.  Awesome.

Instead of Shola. As much as I don't think Nolan brings much to the table in terms of football ability I'm starting to see just how much he brings in an organisational capacity.

When Nolan doesn't score, he's one of our worst players, and definitely our worst midfielder. I don't think there's any doubt about that. However, he's scored often enough so he merits his place in the team but it should by no means be guaranteed just because he's the captain.

Well if our current system continue to work, he can only play in Jonas' role. So the question is, do we change the system to accomodate the players, or do we squeeze him in? Regardless, we can no longer expect him to be starting when he gets back as our biggest strength is the team, which is built on the common sense philosophy of staying in the side if you play well.

Well if our current system continue to work, he can only play in Jonas' role. So the question is, do we change the system to accomodate the players, or do we squeeze him in? Regardless, we can no longer expect him to be starting when he gets back as our biggest strength is the team, which is built on the common sense philosophy of staying in the side if you play well.

He could play, and do a better job than whoever is currently there, in pretty much all our attacking positions.

He could play, and do a better job than whoever is currently there, in pretty much all our attacking positions.

Can he emulate the goalscoring of Carroll and Nolan? The midfield dominance of Tiote? The early delivery of Barton? The running of Jonas? The physicality and hard work and semi-regular goals of Shola?

The above are all reasons why the current system is working well at the moment, and unless he can better any of the above, I don't see how exactly he can get into the team. Unless Hughton can think of a better system that incorporates 5 of those players plus Ben Arfa.