Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest neesy111

No. But we'd possibly have finished 1st in 2002 if it had been.

fuck off man :lol:

if bellamy hadn't got injured as well, they this would defo be the case

Define balance, in this case.

workrate and style of play; solano was much more responsible and worked harder without the ball...he was also much more "south american" in terms of keeping possession - he didn't lose it a lot in stupid places

robert was very direct but didn't give a fuck about the team (in the way he played)...he got the ball and attacked, the rest of the midfield and defence covered for him a lot due to that...he was also prone to try and take people on in the wrong areas so to speak and got caught a lot, made up for it by scoring and providing plenty though, his end product was superb

i'm not saying i'd rather have 2 solano's, i'm saying the balance of them was right given the type of player they were

2 wingers like robert in the same team wouldn't have worked

anyways, tell me (and the others who disagree) why i'm wrong

Don't see how. Robert was better, way better. Bobby certainly knew it.

he also knew the importance of balance in a team, you clearly don't

is that why bobby sold solano then

Robson:

"We've bought young Ambrose, one of the finest young players in the country at the time, and he's ready. I see him in training every day and he is for the future.

"We bought Bowyer at the same time. We can also play Kieron Dyer in that position. It's a good deal for both clubs."

workrate and style of play; solano was much more responsible and worked harder without the ball...he was also much more "south american" in terms of keeping possession - he didn't lose it a lot in stupid places

robert was very direct but didn't give a f*** about the team (in the way he played)...he got the ball and attacked, the rest of the midfield and defence covered for him a lot due to that...he was also prone to try and take people on in the wrong areas so to speak and got caught a lot, made up for it by scoring and providing plenty though, his end product was superb

i'm not saying i'd rather have 2 solano's, i'm saying the balance of them was right given the type of player they were

Solano was never a workhorse. He was ineffective away from home and that's one of the reasons our away from didn't quite stand up to that fantastic record at S James'. 2002-03 is an excellent example of away form spoiling the party, so to speak. Let's not forget that we accumulated 71 points the season beforehand, teams have won it with around 75.

You put an identical player to Robert on the RW and you have a counter-attacking colossus, teams wouldn't have been able to deal with the pace and directness. Shearer would have scored 40.

If Bobby had the chance, he'd have two Roberts on the wings, every single day of the week.

Solano was never a workhorse. He was ineffective away from home and that's one of the reasons our away from didn't quite stand up to that fantastic record at S James'. 2002-03 is an excellent example of away form spoiling the party, so to speak. Let's not forget that we accumulated 71 points the season beforehand, teams have won it with around 75.

You put an identical player to Robert on the RW and you have a counter-attacking colossus, teams wouldn't have been able to deal with the pace and directness. Shearer would have scored 40.

If Bobby had the chance, he'd have two Roberts on the wings, every single day of the week.

i never said he was, i said he worked harder and was more responsible than robert, which is true

hypothetical nonsense man, 2 roberts (which is what we're talking about) would have meant far too much strain on the CM's & DF's changing the balance of every game that was played

i like that you like robert, i did too, but there isn't a team since the PL began that won the league without at least one responsible/hard working winger that i know of

Guest neesy111

robert was very direct but didn't give a f*** about the team (in the way he played)...he got the ball and attacked, the rest of the midfield and defence covered for him a lot due to that...he was also prone to try and take people on in the wrong areas so to speak and got caught a lot, made up for it by scoring and providing plenty though, his end product was superb

This bobby always defended and protected his key players, these we're bellamy, dyer, robert and shearer.  when these we're playing and we're on form, we could of beaten any team on our day

This bobby always defended and protected his key players, these we're bellamy, dyer, robert and shearer.  when these we're playing and we're on form, we could of beaten any team on our day

what are you on about? 

having solano in the team did exactly that man...he was a winger willing to defend more than robert (a lot more) and thus having 3 men in midfield being protective allowed robert the freedom to get forward as he did

selling solano to replace with ambrose / bowyer / dyer suggests he didn't think a team of 2 roberts on the wing was the way to go, or he'd have done it instead of using more responsible players there...no?

Solano was a completely different type of player to Robert.  Yes, Robert was more direct and quicker and 'could' have allowed us to play an even more counter attacking game away from home, but Solano, as has been pointed, worked harder and was a superior player to Robert in terms of his tactical awareness and passing ability and the way he linked up with the central midfielders.  Solano was at the hub of a hell of a lot of our good work - he pretty much matched Robert for end product (Solano scored 7 goals to Robert's 8 and made 11 assists to Robert's 16) and I would say contributed a whole lot more to the general effectiveness of our team.

To be honest, they were both great players and I miss them.

Solano was a completely different type of player to Robert.  Yes, Robert was more direct and quicker and 'could' have allowed us to play an even more counter attacking game away from home, but Solano, as has been pointed, worked harder and was a superior player to Robert in terms of his tactical awareness and passing ability and the way he linked up with the central midfielders.  Solano was at the hub of a hell of a lot of our good work - he pretty much matched Robert for end product (Solano scored 7 goals to Robert's 8 and made 11 assists to Robert's 16) and I would say contributed a whole lot more to the general effectiveness of our team.

To be honest, they were both great players and I miss them.

just what i've been saying, not sure what Ronaldo and neesy are on about tbh...no one's saying Robert was a bad player or anything but you simply couldn't carry 2 x roberts in your team, it'd have been a bloodbath against anyone half decent

From May:

"I have demonstrated this season what I can offer at the top level.

"To have a chance to play in England would be wonderful but the sporting project is more interesting to me than any sums of money."

From May:

"I have demonstrated this season what I can offer at the top level.

"To have a chance to play in England would be wonderful but the sporting project is more interesting to me than any sums of money."

Clearly we're gonna be taken over by some rich Arabs soon. :frantic:

In Robert and Solano, I think we had the best and most potent pair of wingers during that time (from 2001-2004) in Europe. They are both massive misses in terms of the quality they brought to the side. Robert took a lot of stick during his time here, but the lad was a genuis. Never seen a better crosser of a football and that includes Beckham.

when these we're playing and we're on form, we could of beaten any team on our day

wow :lol: that's a hell of sentence!

Neesy actually types in Swahili and then pops into a translator before he throws it up on here.

I'm skipping from page 44...anything happened?

Just what's been in the papers since really.  President of Marseille says they've accepted a 800k Euro loan deal from us and we're supposed to be meeting them today, he said the deal should be done by Tuesday or Wednesday.