Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Once again I find myself in the alternate universe where I watched a HBA performance that looked very average.

Kept the ball too long, didnt make the easy pass and looked quite sluggish.

Its nice for some to dress this up as carrying out Pardews tactical instructions bla bla bla. Sometimes people should just call a spade a spade. Average performance and possibly revealing how Pardew currently rates him given the subs that were used ahead of him.

Except pardew said he was great and did exactly what he told him to do which makes your argument null

He did generally keep hold of the ball too long. Pardew isn't going to say he did poorly. The lad needs careful man management, he is still a long way from being ready for regular starts and he looks extremely frustrated to me. He was warming up, looking at Pardew, with Pardew seemingly deliberately looking away from him. May just be me but I get the feeling that there is tension between the two.

Did well today. His face when Sammy got brought on though. Unimpressed. :lol:

Yeah,I noticed that as well. I love that he was warming up for so long though,shows he's eager to play. Did well yesterday when he came on,we needed someone up front who the ball would stick to and he's perfect for that role. His acceleration will come in time.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I thought he did really well yesterday when he came on, was exactly what was needed. I didn't think sammy was great, mind

Once again I find myself in the alternate universe where I watched a HBA performance that looked very average.

Its nice for some to dress this up as carrying out Pardews tactical instructions bla bla bla. Sometimes people should just call a spade a spade. Average performance and possibly revealing how Pardew currently rates him given the subs that were used ahead of him.

I think i can remember one occasion when i thought he could have knocked it off to someone else and the rest of the time he retained the ball well. He won us two free kicks (maybe 3 actually?), his touch was better than it has been in previous cameos, and he worked as hard as ive seen him closing people down and chasing the ball.

It was a promising 20 minutes.

This is the worst post I have ever read.

Arfa didn´t kept the ball a second to long. At the same time it would help him if he had some more players at his level. He is just a class above every one else in the team when it comes to playing intelligence and technique, and still he is a long way from his best.

Pardew must start playing him in some way. this is so frustrating to see him on the bench all the time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

At this point, after 18 months of no/little football he needs to eased back into competitive football. He needs to touch the ball. He needs to regain his instincts and confidence. His natural game will return, and we've seen it slightly in the cameo appearances he's had off the bench so far. He wants to beat people and looks like he wants to entertain.

At the moment his movements will be off, as triggers have gone, and his mind is probably lagging a bit. It'd be wrong to throw him him straight into a 90 minute battle. Expectations are huge on this guy right now - from us and probably from himself. For those concerned about his lack of acceleration and pace, I'm not sure he's ever really had outright pace, so a bit concerned if people expect him to carry the ball 40-50 yards on a counter attack leaving people behind. His 5-10 yard burst speed will hopefully return, which is far more useful for a guy that is looking to weave in and out of a compact defence.

Think the way he's been gradually introduced back into the team is the best way. Keeps the team balance going, so doesn't upset those that have got us here so far. Gets Ben Arfa back into a game day environment. Gives him a chance to see the team play, hopefully pick up on different player's traits and abilities, but most importantly he's involved.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Slowly with increased minutes, though saying that, he'll probably get increased time in Jan when BA is gone for the African Cup.

Except pardew said he was great and did exactly what he told him to do which makes your argument null

He did generally keep hold of the ball too long. Pardew isn't going to say he did poorly. The lad needs careful man management, he is still a long way from being ready for regular starts and he looks extremely frustrated to me. He was warming up, looking at Pardew, with Pardew seemingly deliberately looking away from him. May just be me but I get the feeling that there is tension between the two.

I think you could be right about the tension thing and this is only going to intensify the longer this situation goes on as it is.

Interesting yesterday seeing Pardew big Ba up as "the number 10" in the journal.

Those who know Pardews career will have a better idea whether he is a fan of the flair type player like HBA.

Pardew to me seems very much defence first, then attack and I just wonder if a player like HBA who may do something great, but may also concede possession, is his type of player.

Could be that he sees Ba playing the 10 role off the new striker.

I hope HBA does come good because Beardsley type players are a joy to watch. I wouldn't however be shocked if he was gone in the next window or two.

So when do people think he should start league games? Now or keep bringing him through slowly?

Best hasnt scored in 6 now I think? I wasnt particularly impressed with him yesterday. Although im fairly certain it will be the same team for Manchester, I actaully think these three games are the best time to bring him in. We are playing away so teams arent going to be sitting back, should be plently of room on the pitch. I can seeing him getting a start in the next 3, just not Citeh

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bollocks, man.

You can't bend the knee to one player, regardless of talent. If anything the 'cold shoulder' seems to be driving Ben Arfa on, he's showing he wants it. I guess we'll find out one way or another by the end of the season. I'm just thinking about this in the most simple of terms - grassroots.

As a player, if I wanted to get on what I do? I'd keep asking the manager if I could go on, and then keep 'warming up' so he'd notice me. Its classic.

Now as a Coach/Manager if I think someone on the pitch is playing poor, I'll send a sub to go warm up so the player on the pitch notices and hopefully gets spurred on to improve. If I see a player has went and warmed up, I'll see that without having to look at him and recognise what it means.

So when do people think he should start league games? Now or keep bringing him through slowly?

Best hasnt scored in 6 now I think? I wasnt particularly impressed with him yesterday. Although im fairly certain it will be the same team for Manchester, I actaully think these three games are the best time to bring him in. We are playing away so teams arent going to be sitting back, should be plently of room on the pitch. I can seeing him getting a start in the next 3, just not Citeh

I think Best's contribution is more about goals to be fair and it doesn't bother me as long as others in the team are scoring, that goes for Ben Arfa too if he plays up top, it only becomes a problem if we start struggling in front of goal.

If we're going to get anything out of the next 3 fixtures then I'd stick with the same team, just because I think it will come down to hard work (like Stoke) with the lads running themselves into the ground, but the lad does need to be fully up to speed when Ba goes to the ANC in January.

i'd not play him away just yet but having seen the last 2 home games i think there's clearly an argument building that although we've beat everton and wigan they played the better football imo and could have easily taken more than a point, both of them (wigan perhaps less so)

people don't like it on here but sometimes you have to look past results, we're playing a lot of long/direct stuff at home and relying on our defence to stand firm when we're under the cosh, which was for quite a period of time yesterday

it's all well and good blaming the missing players for that but that's part and parcel of a squad game, i'd prefer pardew to be a little proactive in home games now and start with HBA, away games no issue with him being on the bench

“They did absolutely brilliantly, and then at the end, I had a bit of a tough call with that one, Peter Lovenkrands or Hatem Ben Arfa,” he said.

“In hindsight, I’m glad I chose Hatem because he was superb in that last period of the game to just keep possession and take the ball in, keep it, win a few free-kicks.”

I think you could be right about the tension thing and this is only going to intensify the longer this situation goes on as it is.

Interesting yesterday seeing Pardew big Ba up as "the number 10" in the journal.

Those who know Pardews career will have a better idea whether he is a fan of the flair type player like HBA.

Pardew to me seems very much defence first, then attack and I just wonder if a player like HBA who may do something great, but may also concede possession, is his type of player.

I hope HBA does come good because Beardsley type players are a joy to watch. I wouldn't however be shocked if he was gone in the next window or two.

you're absolutely desperate for the most talented member of our squad to leave so you can say i told you so, grow up for fucks sake.

Except that we converted the loan into purchase under Pardew's watch. Maybe Pardew mistook him for a defender?  :lol:

Seriously the saying creating a mountain out of a molehill does not adequately describe your postings, you're creating a mountain out of nothing! It's good that HBA is desperate to play and it's also good that Pardew is easing him in (although now with Obertan and Marveux injured, I expect him to get more minutes if not starting games). 

you're absolutely desperate for the most talented member of our squad to leave so you can say i told you so, grow up for fucks sake.

Grow up says the internet warrior. Give over man  :lol:

Except that we converted the loan into purchase under Pardew's watch. Maybe Pardew mistook him for a defender?  :lol:

Seriously the saying creating a mountain out of a molehill does not adequately describe your postings, you're creating a mountain out of nothing! It's good that HBA is desperate to play and it's also good that Pardew is easing him in (although now with Obertan and Marveux injured, I expect him to get more minutes if not starting games).

I'd be very surprised if Pardew had anything whatsoever to do with that decision.

I'd be very surprised if Pardew had anything whatsoever to do with that decision.

Unfortunately you being surprise has no value whatsoever given the track record of your postings.

Although none of us will know for sure how much he was actually involved, it has been well argued on this board that although Derek and Mike makes the final call based on financial criteria, Pardew does recommend the player he wants (just like most other managers)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/05/newcastle-hatem-ben-arfa-contract

Pardew said: "He's obviously a top player and he's shown that in France, at international level and in his short time here at Newcastle. I'm delighted to secure Hatem as my first signing and once he's back fit, I have no doubt he'll confirm just what a superb player he is."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/hatem-ben-arfa-signs-permanent-deal-with-newcastle-2176488.html

Pardew, who has moved quickly to tie up a man initially recruited by predecessor Chris Hughton amid reported interest from other parties, was delighted to have made an early breakthrough as he targets offensive reinforcements.

The manager said: "When I came to the club last month, one of my priorities was to secure Hatem on a permanent deal.

"The last thing I wanted was for us to lose him when his loan ended, so we are really pleased to have agreed that deal today.

"He's obviously a top player and he's shown that in France, at international level and in his short time here at Newcastle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8240701/Newcastle-complete-5m-capture-of-Hatem-Ben-Arfa.html

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias said: "Bringing Hatem on loan earlier in the season was quite a coup, but to sign him permanently on a long-term deal is even better.

"Alan Pardew made it clear that he wanted Hatem here beyond his loan spell so we have backed him and made that happen. Hatem is exactly the type of player that we want here; a young international class player with his best years ahead of him and now those years will be spent at St James' Park."

Make of those direct quotes what you will  :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

With injuries to Marv and Obertan I think we will be forced to use him. Don't think Sammy is ready for this level, if we get Maiga I'd consider loaning Sammy out.

Pardew has said HBA hasn't got any enthusiasm to play on the wing or words similar to that.

WHen he brought Sammy off that pretty much confirmed he won't be using him there for me.