Winners and Losers of Pre-season

Ashley17

Well that's it, the pre-season programme is done., the players have had their last chance in a match environment to force their way into Hughton's starting 11 in 9 days time. Who do you think has come out of the friendlies with an enhanced reputation? Who has made their lives difficult?

Positives

Leon Best - The man who couldn't score has positively filled his boots, with a might haul of 2 goals. Good header at PSV and a decent finish at Carlisle. By no means should he be in the first 11, but maybe he will be seen as slightly less of a donkey - a goat perhaps? Either way, well done Leon on being slightly less ridiculous.

Wayne Routledge - Many see him as our best attacking outlet and he has a lot to prove this season. Good performances, particularly at Carlisle, have enhanced that view, and maybe with a lethal striker he'd do even better. Was quite quiet today though.

Joey Barton - With a run of games, and no misdemeanours, Barton could be brilliant this season. He's got through all the pre-season games without being a cunt, which in itself is an achievement. Awful penalty against Depor though (first time)

Nile Ranger - Scored a few across first team and reserve games, encouraging at least but should go out on loan.

Tim Krul - A sort of error against Norwich aside, Krul has made good saves in most of the games he's played in.

Xisco - Has turned up again and seems to have at least made his way into the plans, as opposed to being farmed out again

Negatives

James Perch - Haven't been impressed with Perch, in any position. I worry how he'd do against better players.

Andy Carroll - No goals is worrying for the new number 9, not that he's missed a truck load but maybe that's telling in itself.

Danny Guthrie - I've always liked Guthrie but the amount of times I've heard "Guthrie gives the ball away" is worrying. We'll see.

Alan Smith - Doesn't seem to be a regular anymore, and is set to lose the captaincy. Good.

Pretty much agree with all that.

Would also add first team experience for Vuckic as a positive.

However, the biggest positive, which you have overlooked is first team football for James Tavernier. Invaluable experience, and maybe we'll see the benefit one day.

Perch frightens me. We've got three options at right back and none of them are good enough for this league. Teams will target that position.

I think we have six or seven options, but Hughton won't use the best three or four.

I would say another positive would be Xisco getting involved, it will almost be like a new signing if he gets a run and hits form as I believe he could be a half decent player.

A negative however is unfortunately Steve Harper. I have been a fan of him for a while, but this preseason he has not looked confident at all, and has rarely shown any agility or positioning sense.  Would have liked Tim Krul to get more of a run out.

I would say another positive would be Xisco getting involved, it will almost be like a new signing if he gets a run and hits form as I believe he could be a half decent player.

A negative however is unfortunately Steve Harper. I have been a fan of him for a while, but this preseason he has not looked confident at all, and has rarely shown any agility or positioning sense.  Would have liked Tim Krul to get more of a run out.

Are you the PR man for the club? ;)

Guest BooBoo

Xisco a like new signing. Jesus wept.

As soon as the season starts and we're not using 5 or 6 subs a game, he won't be involved.

Guest BooBoo

The thing with Xisco is that folk are surprised when he's anything more than absolute shite and go very OTT in their praise of him.

Harper has seemed sluggish in pre-season, he's not getting any younger and I can certainly see him being replaced before the season's out unless he bucks his ideas up.

Mike Williamson is another positive for me. He's looking very calm and hasn't made any mistakes, I think.

To be fair he showed this in abundance last season. And I know it was a league down but Portsmouth must have seen something to interest them so quite a prospect in my eyes. Wins most headers and is very decent with his distribution.

Mike Williamson is another positive for me. He's looking very calm and hasn't made any mistakes, I think.

To be fair he showed this in abundance last season. And I know it was a league down but Portsmouth must have seen something to interest them so quite a prospect in my eyes. Wins most headers and is very decent with his distribution.

I still think he's too slow, and that will get found out in the big league.

Guest firetotheworks

The fluidity of the team vs Rangers impressed me the most. Barton and Routledge have been the good points.

Perch has been extremely poor.

Harper has seemed sluggish in pre-season, he's not getting any younger and I can certainly see him being replaced before the season's out unless he bucks his ideas up.

It makes me laugh when people mention Harper's age. Keepers are usually older than the outfield players. David James is 40 and still playing. Young keepers are the exception rather than the rule.

Van Der Sar, James, Friedel etc. are all old keepers but they're also international keepers who have played probably 5 times as many games as Harper in their careers. At the top of their careers, they all had claims to be the best in their country, therefore any decline in age still meant they were pretty damn good. Harper has always been a canny keeper, but the natural decline in age will be more noticeable when he wasn't all that to begin with.

Sluggish :lol: I've seen one goal that he probably should have saved (the 2nd against PSV which he got a weak hand to). Other than that, nowt.

Maybe sluggish was a bit harsh, basically he didn't impress me against PSV - with either goal. Add that to the fact that, in my opinion, he got steadily worse as last season progressed, it worries me a little. But I'd still rather have him in goal than Krul at this point in time, as Krul isn't the finished article yet.