Manchester United v Newcastle United 16/8/2010 Live on Sky Sports 1 8PM

Guest neesy111

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Just watched the highlights of that match we lost 5-3 at Old Trafford in 2002/2003. The goals of Shearer and Bernard were absolutely brilliant.  :smitten:

Might go watch the season review now you mentioned those goals!

Hardly before Owen in the pecking order, I'd say.

I'd go as far to say that Owen isn't cut out to be a striker in this division anymore. Certainly not in a 4-4-2. He has to play for a team like Man Utd to make use of what little ability he has left. But even then... as we've seen... even for a team who create as many chances as Man Utd - his erratic finishing still leaves him pretty surplus. Keegan was the only one who could mould a position for him - because he's obviously still got the intelligence and movement; but as an out-and-out striker he's done. I'd have the likes of Macheda ahead of him every day of the week.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nailed on for an Owen Hat-trick and weeks of paper love  'Did you miss me, England?!' 'if Owenly we had him at the World Cup' etc :harry:

I'll be happy to get through this match without Andy Grey  sexually assaulting me verbally through the telly as he fornicates over Man U.

got a thumping written all over it 4-0 im plumping for and lets see how these turnips react from an opening day hiding...in all fairness i cant see us getting out of the bottom 3 all season

thanks, you just brightened up my day!  :crazy2:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6310654,00.html

Fergie impressed by Magpies

United boss did not expect Newcastle return

Last updated: 13th August 2010

Sir Alex Ferguson has expressed his surprise at how quickly Newcastle United secured their Premier League return.

The Magpies were relegated at the end of the 2008/09 campaign, but bounced back at the first time of asking last season.

Newcastle lost a host of talent in the summer of 2009 and Ferguson did not feel as though they would be able to respond on the pitch.

However, they romped to the Championship title and the Scottish tactician knows it is not easy to make an immediate return.

United tackle Newcastle on Monday night and Ferguson insists manager Chris Hughton should be praised for his efforts at St James' Park.

Quick return

"I didn't expect Newcastle to come back so quickly," said Ferguson.

"You could sense there was going to be an upheaval in terms of players leaving and they did sell quite a few.

"It is not easy to go down and come back at the first go. Very few teams have done that over the years.

"But you have to give Chris Hughton credit. He wasn't everyone's choice as manager but he dealt with all the financial constraints Newcastle had last season and still got all his players playing for him.

"And with their fanatical support, they had a big advantage."

Classic buttering up from Fergie prior to our usual bumming.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

f*** knows who this clown is: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/13/squad-sheets-manchester-united-newcastle-united

Lovenkrands on the left? Yeah alright.

I think there is alot wrong with that team tbf.  It'll probably be what we saw against Rangers tbf with Nolan playing deeper.

Yep.

I'd rather see Ryan Taylor than Perch though- They're both pretty similar defensively but at least Taylor more from set plays-

Is that right we only took an 1800 allocation? I know its a monday night and all but I would have thought we'd take the full allocation.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that we'd taken the lowest available allocation for the first three away games.