Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

I think there may be some parallel between Redknapp and O'Neill here. Both managers were used to running the show, both managers had been indulged by their chairmen but when Lerner said enough, it looks like MON may have bolted. Levy did likewise and Redknapp may grumble but he gets on with it. Villa's wages/turnover ration ain't great.

Other differences are the standard of football, a couple of cups and Champion's League qualification, all of which always helps with the turnover...

mentioning the wage/turnover ratio, pretty sure Villa have big debts, so the more you look at their situation, the more the board are in the right really.

Absolutely baffled by 80's comments.

The only real advantage Villa had over us was Lerner's cash which over the past 12months has become apparent was just debt lumped on to the club and needs to be clawed back. If Villa are in such a better position cashflow wise, why are they about to sell their best player with another of their best rumoured to follow? In the same week we've rejected big money bids from 2 clubs for Arteta and give him a £75k a week, 5 year deal.

Last season was the first time in 5 years Villa finished above us and I think it's pretty fair to put that down to our crazy injury problems rather than them being a better side.

I could begrudgingly understand if you were saying Moyes should move on to City or even Spurs who do have a lot more financial muscle than us, but Villa? Don't see it at all. 

The only real advantage Villa had over us was Lerner's cash which over the past 12months has become apparent was just debt lumped on to the club and needs to be clawed back. If Villa are in such a better position cashflow wise, why are they about to sell their best player with another of their best rumoured to follow? In the same week we've rejected big money bids from 2 clubs for Arteta and give him a £75k a week, 5 year deal.

Last season was the first time in 5 years Villa finished above us and I think it's pretty fair to put that down to our crazy injury problems rather than them being a better side.

I could begrudgingly understand if you were saying Moyes should move on to City or even Spurs who do have a lot more financial muscle than us, but Villa? Don't see it at all. 

No chance of him leaving Everton.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I agree entirely,maybe they'll go for someone up and coming like Di Matteo for instance.

Interesting shout, I like it.

Not really a comparison between Milner, who's four years younger, English, wants to leave and is being rated at a ludicrous near-£30m and Arteta IMO. I don't think it's fair to judge Villa's financial position based on accepting that deal.

Guest kingdawson

Did Jol really push for that move to Fulham though? He might do for a bigger job at Villa.

Bingo bingo bingooooooo.

Jol is crafty. I noticed this when he was with us and i don't buy into the general spurs fan image of him (big friendly guy that can do no wrong). I'm almost positive he had absolutely no intention of joining Fulham and was just using them to strengthen his position at Ajax.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bob Bradley and Sven the early favourites.

Not sure if I rate Bob Bradley or not yet. He did wonders with USA, but was that more to do with him tapping into Patriotic Pride over ability? I honestly have no idea, know very little of his work. Though he does seem to be one of the most succesful coaches domestically and internationally for the US.

Not really a comparison between Milner, who's four years younger, English, wants to leave and is being rated at a ludicrous near-£30m and Arteta IMO. I don't think it's fair to judge Villa's financial position based on accepting that deal.

I don't think Arteta would have gone for much less, if any less, than Milner.

Anyway, that's besides the point.

The financial picture at Villa that 80 was painting didn't ring true. I don't think it's much different to the one at Everton at all really. We could get into more debt for a few years of signings if we wanted. That's what Lerner has seemingly done (going by the slow drip of info coming out in the papers over the past year).

Not sure if I rate Bob Bradley or not yet. He did wonders with USA, but was that more to do with him tapping into Patriotic Pride over ability? I honestly have no idea, know very little of his work. Though he does seem to be one of the most succesful coaches domestically and internationally for the US.

I think The Sun were the one that linked him, and in the article they called Randy Lerner "Jay" Lerner, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Don't really have an idea how he'd do, I think if he found the right fit he'd do well, but I'm not sure if Villa is it. He's not really a tactical genius, until he recognizes a mistake he's already made.

Yanks are obsessed with tactics, though. Especially on the coahcing side of things. I'm amazed there's been very little American managers coming to try their ability in Europe, and would love to see how Bradley would do at Villa out of sheer curiosity how the tactical approach from the Yanks would work in the big leagues.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yanks are obsessed with tactics, though. Especially on the coahcing side of things. I'm amazed there's been very little American managers coming to try their ability in Europe, and would love to see how Bradley would do at Villa out of sheer curiosity how the tactical approach from the Yanks would work in the big leagues.

Can't say I've ever been inspired by any tactical insight from an American coach yet (MLS or International football).

Not a huge fan of Bradley's team selection, but he's usually putting lipstick on a pig anyway (managing the US anyway).

I doubt there's anything in it. "Lerner's a yank so yank manager" - is the logic teh red tops are following there.

Guest kingdawson

Not a huge fan of Bradley's team selection, but he's usually putting lipstick on a pig anyway (managing the US anyway).

I doubt there's anything in it. "Lerner's a yank so yank manager" - is the logic teh red tops are following there.

What's up with these Yank managers :harry:

I'll admit I'm not too well informed on Everton's situation. Just so used to it being bad for years, I know you have money at times, and can and have spent, but overall the picture always seems to be struggling for stability, with the stadium issue also always hanging over you - but overachieving within that and frequently threatening the higher echelons. In essence, I see the money and success you have had as mainly resulting from Moyes and his making you a very efficient machine.

Re: Villa, they've just sold their best player for stupid money. As for Young and their general approach to finances in the medium to long term future, I'm under the impression it may liberalise as a result of today's events. That there's Martin o'Neill's finances and there are the real finances - the stuff you don't especially want to resort to unless you have to or because there are big opportunities. Furthermore, a new manager will have a less stupid approach to signings, making things more amenable. Slovenian Emile Heskeys don't require £60k a week.

The fact is both you and Villa need to move up at least a gear if you're gonna have a chance of moving beyond where you are. So far as I'm aware, and I've not got anything against you telling me why I'm wrong about you lot, only Aston Villa are likely to. They're the ones with expensive deadwood to shift, they're the ones with room to press down further on the accelerator.

I'll admit I'm not too well informed on Everton's situation. Just so used to it being bad for years, I know you have money at times, and can and have spent, but overall the picture always seems to be struggling for stability, with the stadium issue also always hanging over you - but overachieving within that and frequently threatening the higher echelons. In essence, I see the money and success you have had as mainly resulting from Moyes and his making you a very efficient machine.

Re: Villa, they've just sold their best player for stupid money. As for Young and their general approach to finances in the medium to long term future, I'm under the impression it may liberalise as a result of today's events. That there's Martin o'Neill's finances and there are the real finances - the stuff you don't especially want to resort to unless you have to or because there are big opportunities. Furthermore, a new manager will have a less stupid approach to signings, making things more amenable. Slovenian Emile Heskeys don't require £60k a week.

The fact is both you and Villa need to move up at least a gear if you're gonna have a chance of moving beyond where you are. So far as I'm aware, and I've not got anything against you telling me why I'm wrong about you lot, only Aston Villa are likely to. They're the ones with expensive deadwood to shift, they're the ones with room to press down further on the accelerator.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Our financial position isn't good and I'd agree that where we are is down to Moyes because Kenwright has contributed fuck all to the club. Have a closer look into Villa's financial position though- it's not good either. Moyes would have to do exactly the same thing there unless Villa were willing to get into further debt in the short term for a new manager.

I don't really see what having dead wood to shift has to do with anything either. That's very short term thinking.

Moyes could sell Yobo and Yakubu for a fair whack tomorrow if he wanted to and the squad wouldn't miss them much at all (especially Yobo). I don't think judging a clubs future prospects on how many Nicky Shoreys they can sell is a sound way to look at things though.