Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Guest Tall Striker

No reason why we can't be finishing higher  than this lot 2 years down the line.

I can think of two: Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias.

Fair play.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

I respect Houllier he was my first choice before big Sam. I am sure he will do well for Villa.

Gerard Houllier said that HBA who was his coach at Lyon

that matures in 23 years

and HBA to 23 years

Wont last two seasons there. Will be gone when the likes of Young and Agbonlahor are replaced by 'work-horses'.

Can you even begin to offer some rationale for this logic?

It is a good appointment, as good as we could have made given the circumstances MON left us in.

Just watching Merse on SSN. What a fucking idiot he is. Great player, and did very well for us, but fuck me, what a moron.

Guest Heneage

Good appointment I reckon. I appreciate what O'neil was trying to craft, but sometimes the English blueprint went too far to the point where he's paying over the odds for English talent.

In that sense he'll improve them as while he does on occasion buy some absolute dross; Le Tallec and Cheyrou, he does also have a decent eye for foreign talent, as shown by the fact 2005's CL side were predominately Houllier signings.

His signings maybe, but he would not have taken a team of Biscan's, Smicer's, Traore's and Pongolle's who were all average, to a Champions League Final.

Plus, you can't underestimate the value of Xabi Alonso to that side...

Guest Heneage

His signings maybe, but he would not have taken a team of Biscan's, Smicer's, Traore's and Pongolle's who were all average, to a Champions League Final.

In all honesty, good. I don't see him at Villa in a managing capacity for long, but if he gets in steadies them and brings in some young exciting talent, then moves up, it will be a good move.

Excellent appoinment for villa, IMO.

He's experienced, knowledgable. He's managed in the premiership and did all right, he has an abundance of knowledge regarding young players, he's not afraid to venture outside the English market and his Lyon team played good football and played well in Europe.

He's a cut above o'neill and the likes of redknapp and moyes so if Lerner is patient, houllier, age and health related issues permitting, will be very good for them.

Excellent appoinment for villa, IMO.

He's experienced, knowledgable. He's managed in the premiership and did all right, he has an abundance of knowledge regarding young players, he's not afraid to venture outside the English market and his Lyon team played good football and played well in Europe.

He's a cut above o'neill and the likes of redknapp and moyes so if Lerner is patient, houllier, age and health related issues permitting, will be very good for them.

Good appointment imo and a wealth of knowledge of the European game. Villa are lucky to have him. Personally I find him a bit too boring and over reliant on the fundamentals as a coach and he tends to stifle his teams (not as bad as Benny with full back not allowed to cross the half way line etc). Fully expect Villa to pick up a few French bargains in the next year from obscure places.