Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

How can you say that?

Surely, even those who don't think Keegan did anything wrong can agree that in hindsight it was probably best for all concerned that he didn't come back.

Wasnt one of the reasons everyone was furious at Ashley when Keegan went was because he was doing a really good job up till that point? And everyone knew hes a quality manager?

Well that's moot seeing as he didn't want to continue doing any kind of job.

After they blatently lied to him breaking any trust, and tried to change his contract? Surley the point is we can agree that in hindsight it was probably best for all concerned that Mike Ashley & co didnt undermine & attempt to change the contract of whichever manager they hired?

You're talking as if there was an alternate regime to work under. Unfortunately which manager they hired was the only variable.

Yeah thats true, I dont think there would have been too many managers (certainly quality managers) who would have accepted that treatment, so in hindsight the result was a picking from limited amount of managers who'd be ok with that.

How can you say that?

Surely, even those who don't think Keegan did anything wrong can agree that in hindsight it was probably best for all concerned that he didn't come back.

Wasnt one of the reasons everyone was furious at Ashley when Keegan went was because he was doing a really good job up till that point? And everyone knew hes a quality manager?

Everyone?  :coolsmiley:

Guest neesy111

You're talking as if there was an alternate regime to work under. Unfortunately which manager they hired was the only variable.

Yeah thats true, I dont think there would have been too many managers (certainly quality managers) who would have accepted that treatment, so in hindsight the result was a picking from limited amount of managers who'd be ok with that.

Yes, but if it hadn't been Keegan then the fans wouldn't of went on that stupid protest crusade which halted our season for 6 weeks almost.

How can you say that?

Because I always believed that Keegan came back for the money.

And Houllier was gonner work for free cos he loves the club so much?

Keegan was only interested in the money when he came  back, Houllier wanted to manage Newcastle as he wanted to be back in the premiership.

I'm also pretty sure it would have been one of Houller's ambitions to work under and have his players bought and sold for him by someone so highly qualified and respected as Dennis Wise.

Is Kevin MacDonald the most indecisive man in Britain?

But the reserve team coach says he is now considering his options after losing out to Houllier for the manager's job.

"I put myself up for the job and once I did that I knew there might be disappointment," said MacDonald after Villa's 2-1 defeat at Stoke on Monday night.

"It took me long enough to decide and once I didn't get the job I was very disappointed.

"But the decision to go back and work with the reserves when Mr Houllier came in was totally down to me wanting to re-evaluate and see what I can - or want - to do.

"I may need to rethink what I may want to do. I may want to be a manager.

"Some people might think I will make a good manager, some people might not - but I need to know for myself.

"Maybe I've gained a bit of confidence [as a result of his managerial duties] but I can't say it's changed me in any way."

Houllier is keen to appoint former Coventry and Leeds manager Gary McAllister as his assistant after ex-Liverpool stars Phil Thompson and Dietmar Hamann as well as MacDonald turned down the opportunity.

And MacDonald admits there was never any realistic chance of him becoming Houllier's assistant once the manager's job had passed him by.

"I had always thought that when I did not get the [manager's] job that I wasn't going to do it [assistant]," he said on Monday.

"I think Mr Houllier is already in the process of getting some of his backroom staff but if I am asked to do something by the Villa manager that is what I will do because I work for Aston Villa football club, I work for Aston Villa's manager.

"He asked me on Friday if I would do those things (prepare the team for Stoke and Bolton) and I have no problem at all.

"That will still happen when I go back to the reserves. If he asks me to go out scouting I'll do some scouting, if he asks me to go and help with the first team I'll help out - until I decide what I want to do."

He might be or he might not be, I can't decide if he is or he isn't, but I think I may at some point come to a possible conclusion.

Guest neesy111

Is Kevin MacDonald the most indecisive man in Britain?

But the reserve team coach says he is now considering his options after losing out to Houllier for the manager's job.

"I put myself up for the job and once I did that I knew there might be disappointment," said MacDonald after Villa's 2-1 defeat at Stoke on Monday night.

"It took me long enough to decide and once I didn't get the job I was very disappointed.

"But the decision to go back and work with the reserves when Mr Houllier came in was totally down to me wanting to re-evaluate and see what I can - or want - to do.

"I may need to rethink what I may want to do. I may want to be a manager.

"Some people might think I will make a good manager, some people might not - but I need to know for myself.

"Maybe I've gained a bit of confidence [as a result of his managerial duties] but I can't say it's changed me in any way."

Houllier is keen to appoint former Coventry and Leeds manager Gary McAllister as his assistant after ex-Liverpool stars Phil Thompson and Dietmar Hamann as well as MacDonald turned down the opportunity.

And MacDonald admits there was never any realistic chance of him becoming Houllier's assistant once the manager's job had passed him by.

"I had always thought that when I did not get the [manager's] job that I wasn't going to do it [assistant]," he said on Monday.

"I think Mr Houllier is already in the process of getting some of his backroom staff but if I am asked to do something by the Villa manager that is what I will do because I work for Aston Villa football club, I work for Aston Villa's manager.

"He asked me on Friday if I would do those things (prepare the team for Stoke and Bolton) and I have no problem at all.

"That will still happen when I go back to the reserves. If he asks me to go out scouting I'll do some scouting, if he asks me to go and help with the first team I'll help out - until I decide what I want to do."

He might be or he might not be, I can't decide if he is or he isn't, but I think I may at some point come to a possible conclusion.

I think he could make one the worst manager's possible tbh.  He just doesn't seem to have any urgency about him.

Gabby - Jury out on Houllier

Villa striker unimpressed by Houllier's CV

Gabriel Agbonlahor admits that he will miss Kevin MacDonald when new Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier takes over the reins on Monday. The striker was reluctant to offer any kind of endorsement of Houllier following Villa's 1-1 draw at home to Bolton on Saturday.

Houllier watched the game from the directors' box alongside new assistant Gary McAllister. But Agbonlahor appeared unimpressed by Houllier's CV when asked if he was looking forward to working with him, he replied: "Next question."

The former Liverpool manager had an enviable record that includes winning French league titles with Paris St Germain and twice with Lyon, as well as the Uefa Cup, FA Cup and League Cup (again twice) with the Anfield giants.

However, Agbonlahor eventually did admit that he is looking forward to working with the Frenchman saying: "If you look at his record at Liverpool, what he has done, what he has won, obviously we're looking forward. It's hard to say anything because Kev (MacDonald) has done so well, but times change and we'll be looking forward to training with the new manager."

Agbonlahor did not want to be pressed into answering whether there was any sadness over MacDonald's departure back to the reserves and why he had not been offered the management role on a permanent basis.

"It's hard to say that," added the England international. "We don't want to discuss that now because there is a new manager in charge, so we have to look forward to that and be happy with what Kev did for us. He'll still be around so we'll still be able to see him and thank him. But I think you could see by the goal, how everyone celebrated, that it shows how well we've enjoyed working with him. He's been a good manager."

Agbonlahor admits being left frustrated after six weeks in limbo, but is now looking forward to the future. "It has been frustrating not knowing what was going on, but at least now we know and we can look forward to the future," added the 23-year-old. "We're just going to get our heads down as a team because we want to try and impress the new manager.

"We don't know what he knows about us, so hopefully it will be a fresh start for everyone in the squad. We'll see what ideas he has and what training will be like, and we'll take it from there."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6386896,00.html

Thats probably not the way to create first impressions....

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_04/117Agbonlahor_468x312.jpg

http://img.skysports.com/08/01/218x298/Ryan_Taylor_630137.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_01/rooneyPA0904_468x514.jpg