Newcastle United v Aston Villa (the season starts here, maybe)

Ishmael

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I had no idea Aston Villa fans (or at least that forum) held us in such poor regards. I've never really thought anything towards Aston Villa, they're like those extras in the background of Coronation Street. You don't really notice them, but you're aware they're there.

I had no idea Aston Villa fans (or at least that forum) held us in such poor regards. I've never really thought anything towards Aston Villa, they're like those extras in the background of Coronation Street. You don't really notice them, but you're aware they're there.

Probably felt out of joint mid 90s-early 00s when we put in genuine title challenges, clinging on to their European Cup win 15 years earlier.

What we absolutely cannot afford to do, is to give preference to senior players like Shola, Lovenkrands and Nolan who we all know are not cut out for this level.

Lovenkrands did well for us in his previous PL spell, especially at home and considering how poor the team was (8 games, 3 goals).

I was all for giving Xisco games after he arrived but this is two years later and all he's got to show for it is a handful of unimpressive reserve outings and a very poor loan spell in La Liga. Struggle to comprehend why you'd choose him ahead of a player like Lovenkrands who imo has a lot going for him. 21 starts, 16 goals last season speaks for itself even in the CCC.

Saw this on 606 Sport:

Aston Villa have been known in the past year or so as the team that sent us down, and the team whos fans are an absolute disgrace.

That day at Villa Park, our fans were sensational, singing long before kick off, all the way through the match, half time included and about 20 mins after the game as well. Those sad Villa fans put out banners against us, one of them actually being made by a proper company.

Don't use the excuse of 'you booed Martin Laursen', sorry but the banners were out at that point, do you expect us to cheer?

Walking out of the ground past the coach park towards the supermarket round the corner, walking back from there I got called scum by a group of lads, standing in line at the burger van, got nothing but abuse standing in that line by Villa fans infront and behind me. One wishing I would choke on my burger.

Now when we sent Plymouth down last season, we also won the league, they played NUFC songs over the PA system for us, let us on their pitch, their fans joined us, we both wished eachother well, no trouble whatsoever, the way it should be.

I admit, I am still slightly bitter about that day, and many Villa fans on this forum, I hope go into the pubs on Sunday with the exact same attitude, to quote:

"comment by The famouszukeeper I hatem Arfa Scargill (U14191491)

posted 19 Minutes Ago

World class

Please say you are a travelling Villa fan? Please show that arrogance in the bars before hand, and please note that the emergency services can be contacted on 999 when you are choking on your own teeth..."

As you can see, I am still annoyed about the way I was treated that day, I and many other Toon fans. I know there are some people who feel the same as me but what is the general opinion of people on Aston Villa and their fans?

Horrible club, horrible strip, terrible fans who one claimed they hadn't sold out their 2300 allocation because it was a long way to go on a Sunday(we took 2500 to Plymouth on a Monday night, the longest trip in the football league)

Any Villa fans out there coming up here with the same attitude you had on the last day? Please say you will be going into pubs shouting your opinion as well :) As commented above, 999, surely not too hard to remember.

Rant over, and breaaattthhhhh

So cos he didn't try two years ago, we should let him rot whilst picking up a gazillion a week, for doing nowt? Bollocks. If he's gonna give the same application as the rest of the squad, he's worth a chance now as much as anyone. We're hardly spoilt for choice in the 'quality strikers' department. I'd rather us take a punt and see if he's going to be actually worth something to us this season, rather than let another squad number waste a way.

If he gets a fair crack of the whip and is absolute s***, fair enough.

Trouble is we might not be able to afford to give him a "fair crack of the whip". We're going to need every point and every goal we can get.

Exactly. It's almost as stupid as throwing the youngsters in. Yes, we don't know whether they'll be good or not, but we can't possibly take the risk - at this point, the likes of Xisco, Ranger, Vuckic etc. are just as likely to flop as they are to succeed. From our current crop, it's Carroll and Loven all the way for me.

I don't have any feelings about Villa really, they're bound to decline now the O'Neill project is over and Milner has been sold.

Hoping for a decent performance and would be happy with a point.

Pleased to be going, haven't been to the first home game of the season for years.

:jonas:

Villa is a nothing club, end off.

Feel no hate, no love, nothing..

Win 2-1.

Howay!

i think to most fans Villa were a nothing club with no real effect on NUFC fans thinking but that all changed at Villa park when we went down.  Its probably hard to describe but for those like me who were there our view of Villa changed that day.

Win 2-1.

Howay!

Nothing club :lol: then what are we? I think we all dislike them, but don't be daft.

Yes, i think that. I dont dislike them, just feel nothing.

NUFC is the club i love, so of course i feel more about them.

Daft, no...

Also, its my view, how i feel about them.

I don't have any feelings about Villa really, they're bound to decline now the O'Neill project is over and Milner has been sold.

Hoping for a decent performance and would be happy with a point.

Pleased to be going, haven't been to the first home game of the season for years.

:jonas:

Do you have a good record on 1st home games ;)

Win 2-1.

Howay!

i think to most fans Villa were a nothing club with no real effect on NUFC fans thinking but that all changed at Villa park when we went down.   Its probably hard to describe but for those like me who were there our view of Villa changed that day.

Agree.  I never minded Villa before but my opinion of them also changed that day.  I am so desperate for us to beat them on Sunday.

Win 2-1.

Howay!

i think to most fans Villa were a nothing club with no real effect on NUFC fans thinking but that all changed at Villa park when we went down.   Its probably hard to describe but for those like me who were there our view of Villa changed that day.

I can understand that, i was not there, so it did not come so close to me.

So i understand that its different for the people who was there.

But for me, meh...

Guest BooBoo

I don't think it would advisable for Villa fans to wear colours in the bars before the game. They will not be welcomed.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/08/20/peter-lovenkrands-in-frame-for-nufc-return-72703-27102567/?

Peter Lovenkrands in frame for NUFC return

Aug 20 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CHRIS HUGHTON is expected to go with a more attacking strategy in Sunday’s clash with Aston Villa.

The United boss is hoping to have Peter Lovenkrands back available and could well start with the Dane alongside Andy Carroll after he missed the loss to Man United with a groin strain.

Danny Guthrie has also been back in training after a knee problem which would leave Hughton to perm two from four in central midfield, with Guthrie, Alan Smith, Joey Barton and skipper Kevin Nolan all in the running.

Sol Campbell has been in full training but Hughton continues to assess his fitness on a day-to-day basis with Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson favourites to start the game in the heart of defence.

:thup:

Villa fan in peace. Our squad has been announced as:

Friedel, Guzan, Warnock, Dunne, Davies, Beye, L Young, Albrighton, Reo-Coker, Petrov, Ireland, Downing, A Young, Carew, Bannan, Delfouneso, Hogg, Heskey, Osbourne, Clark, Lowry, Baker.

Pity Gabby's not fit. The team will will probably pan out as

Friedel

L Young Dunne Clark Warnock

Albrighton Petrov Ireland Downing

A Young

Carew

Always liked Newcastle - my step daughter is at Uni there - so I find all this childish "we'll put your teeth down your throat" stuff a bit  :nope:. It's only a fooking game.

Here's to a good game, and here's hoping for a Villa win.  :smitten:

Guest Stephen927

I think most fans would have acted the same if they'd sent us down so I don't hold that against them at all.

Hopefully we manage to just squeeze it. They're in their honeymoon period with MacDonald, and it's our first home game back in the Premiership. Should be a good game.