Newcastle United v Aston Villa (the season starts here, maybe)

Ishmael

These are the kinds of games we have to win.

And yet we beat them in the relegation season, but only beat them once in the six home games before that. ;)

Slightly over-dramatised but a draw at the very minimum is needed.

They've got players out and the managers left. Aiming for wins just against the bottom 6 won't be enough, we have to get them against mid/high table sides whenever the opp arises and this is as good an opp as any.

Embarrassing how SSN just ignore games that aren't on Sky. 'Coming up, more build up to the big game today! Sheff Utd vs Boro!' :jesuswept:

They did it yesterday with the Leeds match.

Very much so. Were doing on the BBC weather last night n all, only showing the weather at the Cottage because it was on 5live

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Embarrassing how SSN just ignore games that aren't on Sky. 'Coming up, more build up to the big game today! Sheff Utd vs Boro!' :jesuswept:

They did it yesterday with the Leeds match.

Why would they want offer free build up for ESPN? I know they help each other and piggyback for coverage, but can hardly call it embarrassing.

BBC 5Live are having the boro game on instead of the newcastle one.....bastards

It's not their choice, Talksport have exclusive rights to many Premier League games these days

really? never knew....every day's a school day...

What worries me about this game and all the others to follow, is that lack of pace (with one or two exceptions) in the United squad.

And Villa have young players with pace who could really turn our defence and by-pass our midfield.

This - we will struggle against anyone who has pace in their attack OR defence....

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Bet it's this.

harper

Perch     Mike                Colo  Jose

Rout      Guthrie           Bartoon Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

Yep.

I agree 100% with wullie, our home form is where we have to pick up a lot of points, this is where we should looke to beat any team out of the top six tbf...we should still be difficult to beat and our confidence at home should be the same as last season.

My preferred team today would be:

-------------------Krul---------------

perch (taylor if fit)-willy---colo---Enrique

Routledge---Guthrie---Barton---Jonas

--------------Nolan------------------

-----------------Carrol--------

Before anyone moans about Nolan, what else can we do? Loven is too lightweight, Ranger and Vuckic can't have that responsibiulity lumped on them without some "real" experience (championship loan...). At least Nolan will gee the team up and perhaps join in some second phase, he ain't that bad to be fair...