Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Complete fucking idiot. Great player, but it shows how stupid he is getting ANOTHER yellow today.

Imagine how much better he'd be if he wasn't such a tool? 14 yellow cards. Fuck me. Not even funny.

He'd probably be too good and off in a shot so look on the bright side, imperfections like this might just prolong his stay at the club. O0

Because it is bollocks - he doesn't get his yellow cards for daft reasons like trying to hurt players, mouthing off etc etc, it's because he gives his all for the team and wants us to win (in anycase some of his cautions have been a joke), why on earth we should punish him for that is beyond me

What next? Fine the defenders for every goal we concede?

If we hadn't have signed him we'd have gone down IMO. Brilliant piece of business he's been overall.

Yep. Just remember that Smith would have been his replacement - and even he would have been out for half of the season.

But same can be said about the likes of Coloccini, Simpson (just think about Perch), Enrique, Jonas, Barton and Nolan. All those played massive parts this season and if we would have missed some of them for a big part of the season we could have been in huge trouble.

Because it is bollocks - he doesn't get his yellow cards for daft reasons like trying to hurt players, mouthing off etc etc, it's because he gives his all for the team and wants us to win (in anycase some of his cautions have been a joke), why on earth we should punish him for that is beyond me

I'm in this camp. The way he reacted when he got the card and when he dropped to his knees when he misplaced a pass in the second half shows he really cares. With a more mobile midfielder next to him he wouldn't need to do the work of two men and would hopefully give away less fouls.

The constant "shooooot" is irritating too. He's hit 1 good (god-like) shot all season.

I'm in this camp. The way he reacted when he got the card and when he dropped to his knees when he misplaced a pass in the second half shows he really cares. With a more mobile midfielder next to him he wouldn't need to do the work of two men and would hopefully give away less fouls.

The constant "shooooot" is irritating too. He's hit 1 good (god-like) shot all season.

This. He desperately needs a mobile partner or two next season to pair up with him in the middle. He can't keep thinking he needs to do it all, which is why he is constantly in the thick of it from kickoff to final whistle, so much so that he's more likely to get booked for constant fouling.

Aye, shows how much it means to him really, and he disappointed he was with himself with his reaction when he over hit the pass out wide.

He does need to cut the number of bookings he gets down, but to fine him would be silly really. He's been immense for us all season, pretty much doing the work of two men in the middle for the most part. I'm sure, with time the number of bookings will decrease, and giving him a fine for getting booked would just be a good way for making one of our best players less happy.

We're going to get dry humped next week whether he plays or not tbh.

The damage that Chelsea could do in that game without Tiote to break a few attacks up is fucking frightening. :lol:

African Cup of Nations next season too. We really need to sign a backup player and move Smith on.

We've all dreamed that dream  :sadnod:

But yeh, we're getting stuffed next week with or without Tiote. It's pointless risking him. Have a lovely summer Cheik  :smitten:

Does it send the right message to the rest of the squad though? There's been players equally deserving of a break for all the efforts they've put in, the likes of Coloccini, Enrique, Nolan, Barton...can't see them being exactly chuffed if Tiote gets a few extra weeks off just because of how many bookings he's picked up. I know a few have been harsh, but harsh or not, a lot have been silly & wreckless tackles too, 14 is ridiculous in 30 odd games.

He's not getting a break. :lol:

We're preventing him getting himself suspended. He'll still be training and possibly even on the bench, just won't be picked. If Pardew has any sense that is. It's only the same as not risking someone who has a niggling injury.

The next two games are important to us as fans, but ultimately meaningless at this stage. The first three matches of next season are anything but.

Some of them have been bullshit bookings mind, it has to be said. Yeah 14 is too many but the amount of ground he covers and the amount of tackles he makes is immense. He's going to mis-time some of them and I'd rather he was playing than not. He's absolutely fantastic at what he does and we're a far better team when he's in the middle of the park.

Same thing though? If I'd paid £50+ to go down Chelsea next week I'd not be happy to see us pretty much surrendering the game, I know we don't have much chance but you can't drop your best player? If he gets booked for a daft tackle again then it's time we disciplined the player. I'd sooner see him in the next two games to help us finish top 10 this season than the first 2-3 games of next season where we'll have a stronger squad if Pardew and the board have done their jobs correctly to accommodate him not being there.

Guest Roger Kint

We're preventing him getting himself suspended. He'll still be training and possibly even on the bench, just won't be picked. If Pardew has any sense that is. It's only the same as not risking someone who has a niggling injury.

The next two games are important to us as fans, but ultimately meaningless at this stage. The first three matches of next season are anything but.

Totally agree, we all want to think we can get 4 points or more from the last two games but in reality losing him for the first three of next year isnt worth the hassle.

Totally agree, we all want to think we can get 4 points or more from the last two games but in reality losing him for the first three of next year isnt worth the hassle.

He misses 2 games this season where we have two games to finish top 10, or he misses 2-3 games where we have the whole season to go, where the aim will be pretty much the same. I say play him and go all out for it.