Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He should have one job, protect the back four. But Pardew's tactics and Tiote's own lack of common sense mean that's exactly the one thing he doesn't do.

it's a perfect storm of shitness, a player with no common sense and manager who can't make up for that with coaching and tactics

hopeless for the lad under pardew now i'd say

Guest bimpy474

Incredible the lack of protection the defence had, given that we were basically playing two holding players and swapped our wide men around for defensive reasons.

I've been say this for a year Ian, we have no one sitting in front. And when we did in Anita against Villa and Fulham we played better. As soon as Tiote comes back in.....well it's there for everyone to see.

He was absolutely dog s*** last night. Should be nowhere near the starting 11 imo

Why was he dogshit? You watched the game?

Not sure if this is a serious question? Obviously I did watch it, otherwise I wouldn't post such a comment  :icon_scratch:

Watch this guy closely and you'll see he offers absolutely nothing. He's so awful positionally that he's not offering any protection to the back four. Then you add in he has no ability offensively...

Watch this guy closely and you'll see he offers absolutely nothing. He's so awful positionally that he's not offering any protection to the back four. Then you add in he has no ability offensively...

:lol: I guess you didn't watch him that closely.

He was perfect for the first 60 minutes, not a single mistake and won the ball back a lot. Kept it very simple with passes that Anita would be praised for. Lost the ball once or twice after that and misplaced couple of passes. Still one of the best for us alongside Cabaye and Remy.

Guest icemanblue

Good game from him. First sixty or so minutes, he was faultless. Won the ball and played it simple. Shaky towards the end, much like the rest of the team.

:lol: I guess you didn't watch him that closely.

He was perfect for the first 60 minutes, not a single mistake and won the ball back a lot. Kept it very simple with passes that Anita would be praised for. Lost the ball once or twice after that and misplaced couple of passes. Still one of the best for us alongside Cabaye and Remy.

I am totally amazed! I can't believe people interpret the game so differently and have such perceptions of players that it coerces their judgement insanely....

He played very well against Cardiff and I think, and agree with the above, that we saw him tire in the second half due to him not getting a game recently ("match" fitness), and rightly so, because of his bad form and Anita's better form. This was reversed at Everton and Tiote got his chance and took it well...

Thought that was one of Tiote's best games in a long long time, not that it was a difficult task given his form but he was much more like his old self, thought he had a very good game but as stated did let mistakes creep in late on. Took his chance well when he knew a bad game could see Anita straight back in, as it is, think he’s kept his place, not that he should have been given the chance in the first place but that’s a different matter all together.

I think the situation that we are all arguing over is hugely positive... Two players really competing for one position, can't complain really!

Can we think of many other positions where the competition is so healthy:

Santon/Dummet

Ben Arfa / Gouff

Was about to insert Cisse/Shola... and was reduced to tears :) :)

I wonder if anita would've got the nod over tiote had saturdays game been at home ?

I don't think so:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/why-i-left-out-in-form-anita-pardew-1-6124340

In any case, it worked, and we won. The right call?

Hard to argue against 3 points. Regardless of whether Ben Arfa/Anita/MYM should be playing in our opinion or not, if we keep winning without them in the side, i'm not going to make a big fuss of it.