Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Could have got a much more PL exprienced player for the same amount imo

50k is an outrage if true, 25k at most

Tiote is by far and away the most important player in our team. We're still scoring goals without Carroll, but without Tiote we have absolutely no dynamism, no mobility, no athleticism, no bite, no channelled aggression, no foil for our more 'creative' players, and we're a million times better with him in our team.

Big statement considering he's only been here 6 months, but I think he's the best player of his type I've ever seen at Newcastle. Imagine him and Rob Lee circa 1993 in the same midfield together.................I just came

Spot on!

It's true that a new contract doesn't mean we can't or won't sell anyone, but if you can't take the positives from news like this then you might as well pack in because NUFC genuinely has nothing for you.

Exactly. I'm pretty confident now that Tiote will be here next season - I can't see any clubs paying too much over-the-odds for someone with the reputation of a "destroying" midfield player (even though he's more than that to us). If he is here next season then it is as good, to me, as any new signing, because I fully expected us to be replacing him with a lesser model.

Guest Stephen927

Sure, let's all get really excited about a key player, arguably our best signing a long-term contract. He's going to be here until he is 30!!!

Andy Carroll signed a 5 year contract in October 2010. He was sold in January 2011. Contracts mean fuck all in the modern game.

If they mean fuck all, then why does it matter whether he gets offered one now or in the summer?

By the time summer comes, the likes of Man City and Chelsea won't give a fuck that he signed a contract in February, as we saw with Carroll/Liverpool. At least if it was offered May/June it would have signalled that he was not available under any circumstances during that window.

It wouldn't have signalled that though, afterall, contracts mean fuck all. If these clubs want Tiote, they'll bid for him the day after he signs a deal if it means they get their man.

Guest icemanblue

Sure, let's all get really excited about a key player, arguably our best signing a long-term contract. He's going to be here until he is 30!!!

Andy Carroll signed a 5 year contract in October 2010. He was sold in January 2011. Contracts mean fuck all in the modern game.

:lol:

Cheer up, man.

but why wait to the summer when he'd be easier to tempt away with a bigger gap in wages numbnuts ?  if you're on 15k a week and someone says here's 70k then your eyes will light up, if you're on 50k a week and enjoying your football/life when being paid 50k you might just say fuck it and stay

Andy Carroll signed a 5 year contract in October 2010. He was sold in January 2011. Contracts mean f*** all in the modern game.

If they mean f*** all, then why does it matter whether he gets offered one now or in the summer?

By the time summer comes, the likes of Man City and Chelsea won't give a f*** that he signed a contract in February, as we saw with Carroll/Liverpool. At least if it was offered May/June it would have signalled that he was not available under any circumstances during that window.

Or not sign it and go for much less money.

Great deal for the club. He's the most important player we have, above Enrique, Coloccini and Barton.  The one that frees up other players  and gets the best out of them. Totally deserved 50k/wk.  :celb:

Andy Carroll signed a 5 year contract in October 2010. He was sold in January 2011. Contracts mean f*** all in the modern game.

This a wind up?

October - Lets give Carroll a new deal, he deserves it.

January - Give me another new deal - Liverpool bid - New deal or I leave - Fuck off then, thanks for the £35 million.

Fair play to Ashley. That was probably double his value and one less greedy tosser at the club. I have never heard of any player getting a new deal then wanting another new deal 2 months later.

He's one of the best players at this club, and key to it's future. Just find the timing very strange.

Assuming that the other players consider him one of their most capable team mates, I would expect that the thought process behind the timing is to give the team a boost going into the back-end of the season. Pardew has said they are chasing Europe - news like this will help with any push.

It's true that a new contract doesn't mean we can't or won't sell anyone, but if you can't take the positives from news like this then you might as well pack in because NUFC genuinely has nothing for you.

Exactly. I'm pretty confident now that Tiote will be here next season - I can't see any clubs paying too much over-the-odds for someone with the reputation of a "destroying" midfield player (even though he's more than that to us). If he is here next season then it is as good, to me, as any new signing, because I fully expected us to be replacing him with a lesser model.

:thup:

Club makes sensible move and people moan, its mental man.

Giving someone like tiote a contract for 6 years is bang on what this club needs, its sensible, its the correct line of thinking and planning we have been crying out for.

Securing your assets before the summer (yes i know a big bid could come in)  is just sensible man.

You only have to go back a few years to Shepherd and his sons massive mishandlng of players wages and contracts to see how good a move this is.

Tiote is definitely more important than Enrique, in as much as a top holding midfielder is much more important than any fullback.

Would love to see Jose sign on the dotted line ASAP though, although as people have said he seems like he wants to either wait until we're safe or beyond that to see if we're buying anyone.

Still, tying up Tiote like this will encourage the other players to sign too.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

He's one of the best players at this club, and key to it's future. Just find the timing very strange.

Stop moaning on FFS.

You really are an unhappy little man, Colocho.

We've just got our best player to sign a long-term contract and you're whinging about it. This is absolutely marvellous news. Even if we got him to sign the contract with a pen stuck down his jappa, it wouldn't take the edge off how amazingly brilliant this news is.