Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Didn't Carroll sign a new contract a few months before leaving?

Of course. But MA and Pardew were originally not prepared to sell him. But then that ludicrous offer came along. And NUFC was prepared to give Carroll a new contract. But he demanded to be the best paid player in the club. Something he probably said as a result of being "advised" by his agent.

The sale of Carroll could actually be one of the reasons why we now have tied Tiote up for 6,5 years. If he's now sold, it will be a price that reflects his sacredness!

Didn't Carroll sign a new contract a few months before leaving?

Of course. But MA and Pardew were originally not prepared to sell him. But then that ludicrous offer came along. And NUFC was prepared to give Carroll a new contract. But he demanded to be the best paid player in the club. Something he probably said as a result of being "advised" by his agent.

The sale of Carroll could actually be one of the reasons why we now have tied Tiote up for 6,5 years. If he's now sold, it will be a price that reflects his sacredness!

Well put.  So basically, this new contract should secure a more substantial asking price.  Good enough.

I can see a cult hero in the making. 6,5 years - that's something.

Cult hero? I reserve that for players that are below par, but who still manages to contribute to the club. Tiote is God, and I see him as our captain in a couple of years.

I've just woke up to the news. As it went by on the SSN ticker I was expecting it to say hands in a transfer request, or will be out for the rest of the season. This is a good indication that the players left at the club believe it is moving forward, even if Carroll didn't.