Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Marveaux could actually do it if he recovers well.

Indeed, tho the problem is that for such a system to work we need two quality fullbacks providing the width when Marveaux and Ben Arfa are narrow.

Hopefully the summer will provide the answers to all these silly questions  :smug:

hopefully at least some of the questions, but probably not all of them....

"Alan’s plan is to get a smaller squad, with better quality - so the bench is better. That’s our aim over the next two years. We can’t do it all this summer "

Let's not shit ourselves over Tiote leaving, he's on a massive contract, if he goes we'll be handsomely rewarded. We're also in the position of being able to attract a much higher calibre of player than we were when we signed him, plus our scouts are canny aren't they? I think we'd be ok.

I'm much more worried about Ba leaving, he'd be a lot harder to replace.

Indeed, tho the problem is that for such a system to work we need two quality fullbacks providing the width when Marveaux and Ben Arfa are narrow.

Hopefully the summer will provide the answers to all these silly questions  :smug:

"Alan’s plan is to get a smaller squad, with better quality - so the bench is better. That’s our aim over the next two years. We can’t do it all this summer "

Can we really afford to have a smaller squad then we allready have?

I don't see a problem with having more quality being backed up by youngsters.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Let's not s*** ourselves over Tiote leaving, he's on a massive contract, if he goes we'll be handsomely rewarded. We're also in the position of being able to attract a much higher calibre of player than we were when we signed him, plus our scouts are canny aren't they? I think we'd be ok.

I'm much more worried about Ba leaving, he'd be a lot harder to replace.

Just on the subject of our scouts,they're obviously excellent and have pulled off some great deals but let's not forget they spent ages trying to nail down Gervinho who I really don't rate and they also greenlit obertan.they will continue to make great deals and purchases but it doesn't mean they'll get it right every time and tiote is a huge player to replace (if he does go.I don't even know that he will)

Guest Wally_McFool

why are people saying he's leaving? :lol:

They're fucking nuts that's why.

... or perhaps that some people interpret  Derek's statement as a form of an open invitation for offers for Tiote.

Just on the subject of our scouts,they're obviously excellent and have pulled off some great deals but let's not forget they spent ages trying to nail down Gervinho who I really don't rate and they also greenlit obertan.they will continue to make great deals and purchases but it doesn't mean they'll get it right every time and tiote is a huge player to replace (if he does go.I don't even know that he will)

I'm not in the business of criticising them for signings we didnt make, Obertan you can have though.

Guest pintofscottsellers

Totally forgot about Marveaux till a read this, gutted he got injured, looked a tidy player, hope He recovers well.

So if we make the Europa League this season and they plan on trimming down the squad, thats gonna leave us with a load of knackered players ain't it?  ???

So if we make the Europa League this season and they plan on trimming down the squad, thats gonna leave us with a load of knackered players ain't it?  ???

If our cup record under Pardew is any thing to go by we'll go out first round of the Europa League.

It's not that small, it's just got too many shit players in it.

We sign a quality full back, centre back and a good back up keeper and we are looking a lot better.

So if we got rid of 4 players (Harper, Smith, Loven, Ranger) and signed 3 we will still have a better squad.

Exactly Cajun, one of the best sides in Europe in Barcelona have a small squad aswell difference is its brimming with quality and not quantity.

Add 4 players where we lack depth, and bring the youngsters through like Ferguson, Abeid, Vuckic etc etc and lets not forget Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Steven Taylor etc etc will be back next season and get rid of the deadwood and i think you will find the squad will be rather strong.

It's not that small, it's just got too many shit players in it.

Just look at our first team striking options - Ba, Cisse, Shola, Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger. Six strikers, four of which you'd struggle to argue are Premier League quality, let alone top half.

Granted we are thin on the ground at full back and centre back. We need bodies there.