Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Needed to get something on the ball, tried his luck and would have gotten away with in a prem game, official behind the goal seen it, makes a fkn change mind as they never seem to see anything. else

Indeed, PL referees are idiots so they would have missed that 9 times out of 10. Europe is a completely different story though. Needs to cut it out from his game completely mind, there's no need to take stupid risks like that.

You could say that he was blind-sighted by having Sissoko flailing around right in front of him, but he actually moves his arm towards the ball. Complete and utter brainfart - so disappointing.

Our defending of corners is atrocious, as Man Utd comprehensively proved for us.

Genuinely surprised we haven't conceded more than we have. It's actually just as bad as our attacking of corners IMO.

Incredible when you think how good we were against Stoke (for example) last season. Looked so solid.

Probably missed the team bus.

He would just run after the bus if he did that :lol:

Like T-1000

Actually seems like something Taylor would do. Then he'd pretend to get shot.

....in the hand but pretend it hit him in the cojones

:yikes:

Clumsy player and not good enough on the ball for the level that we're aiming for. Often passes the ball backwards to a team-mate who's under pressure when there are better options ahead. Rarely intercepts and just concentrates on staying goalside of his man.

I'm fed up with him. Fortunately, it seems that we're looking for another CB.

You could say that he was blind-sighted by having Sissoko flailing around right in front of him, but he actually moves his arm towards the ball. Complete and utter brainfart - so disappointing.

Taylor rakes Sissokos achilles just bedore the handball and i agree with Pardew that this put him off balance a bit but not that it was accidental, blatant pen.

Clumsy player and not good enough on the ball for the level that we're aiming for. Often passes the ball backwards to a team-mate who's under pressure when there are better options ahead. Rarely intercepts and just concentrates on staying goalside of his man.

totally agree they guy's a comp liability time to move on.

Our defending of corners is atrocious, as Man Utd comprehensively proved for us.

Genuinely surprised we haven't conceded more than we have. It's actually just as bad as our attacking of corners IMO.

Incredible when you think how good we were against Stoke (for example) last season. Looked so solid.

Has been like that the whole season. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if we lead in corner goals conceded and least corner goals stats. Our overall lack of aerial ability in the team has hurt us this season. Both midfield and attack gets aerially dominated either in set pieces (offensive and defensive) or open play. Even a big man like Sissoko is a below average header of the ball.

Carroll in the summer might prove to be a good consideration after all.

You two must have been watching a different match to me last night. The penalty aside, he had one of his better games of the season for me. Kept Cardozo mostly in check and seemed to be taking responsibility for playing the ball out from the back when we had periods of possession. Didn't shy from receiving a pass either.

He just needs that bit more control to his game because he has everything else. I don't think he had that bad a game really but for some reason he's always got it in his locker to do something daft like that. You'd think he'd have learnt by now.

Needed to get something on the ball, tried his luck and would have gotten away with in a prem game, official behind the goal seen it, makes a fkn change mind as they never seem to see anything. else

Indeed, PL referees are idiots so they would have missed that 9 times out of 10. Europe is a completely different story though. Needs to cut it out from his game completely mind, there's no need to take stupid risks like that.

From what I remember there were two Benfica players waiting to score behind Taylors Arm anyway. Was worth the risk he knew they were caught out.

IMHO you have judge the guy over more than one game and he's been first class this season. It's just unfortuntate that his mistake came in the same game as Santons and, together, they've probably cost us any chance of qualification.

It there's only one error and we bring a 2-1 back to our place then there's a real chance.

Hope the mistake doesn't impact his confidence as we really need him to maintain his recent form.

You two must have been watching a different match to me last night. The penalty aside, he had one of his better games of the season for me. Kept Cardozo mostly in check and seemed to be taking responsibility for playing the ball out from the back when we had periods of possession. Didn't shy from receiving a pass either.

I wasn't thinking particularly of the game last night, or the handball. In point of fact, I don't think he makes that many obvious mistakes. He's just very limited and cautious, as I said in the original post. It's what he doesn't do that bothers me, and I think we can do better.

I think he's good on the ball. He's far better on the ball on his worst day than the bloke you championed for 2 seasons, anyway.

I wasn't thinking particularly of the game last night, or the handball. In point of fact, I don't think he makes that many obvious mistakes. He's just very limited and cautious, as I said in the original post. It's what he doesn't do that bothers me, and I think we can do better.

He's not that bad on the ball. After a year of Williamson in the team, I'm surprised you're clamouring to declare STaylor limited, he's a far superior upgrade (on and off the ball). You've said that he rarely intercepts...so you want him to be more aggressive when defending through balls? Not sure if he's suited to that really, he's been burnt a few times in his career by over-committing so I wouldn't be surprised if he's matured/been advised to let the forward have it with his back to goal rather than risk a missed interception.

Some OTT reactions. Taylors been our best player for the past month.

He gave away a pen, its one of those things, move on. He was excellent otherwise yesterday.

Was a bad mistake yesterday. Was obviously surprised the ball came to him after Moussa ducked it. He clearly didn't think about it. Was just instinct to get something to the ball.

Guest bimpy474

Think this is all a bit over the top on him.

I'm trying to remember another mistake this season, it was daft thing to do but fuck me the reactions :lol:

He's not that bad on the ball. After a year of Williamson in the team, I'm surprised you're clamouring to declare STaylor limited, he's a far superior upgrade (on and off the ball). You've said that he rarely intercepts...so you want him to be more aggressive when defending through balls? Not sure if he's suited to that really, he's been burnt a few times in his career by over-committing so I wouldn't be surprised if he's matured/been advised to let the forward have it with his back to goal rather than risk a missed interception.

I’d agree about how he’s adjusted his game to cover his weaker points, but that’s placed a limit on what he has to offer as a centre back. Often it’s better to intercept or get closer to an opponent to stop them turning, rather than rely on blocking. I suspect that’s why his international career has never taken off, despite the fact that England are not brimful of good centre backs at the moment.

I just have to disagree about his general ability on the ball. Again, perhaps we don’t see many glaring mistakes, but that’s because his choices are so conservative. A typical example last night was when he had the balI on a turnover and had a clear and easy pass forward to a midfield player who was free. He didn’t have the confidence to try it, and turned to pass back to Krul, who had to hurry his clearance. Failure to take advantage of situations can be quite telling.

I think his clumsiness may also be a part of him opting out of trying for interceptions.

He’s not the worst defender in the world, and he does have his strengths, but as I said, I think we can do better.