Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Be very disappointed if he walks away for nowt. Campbell's in his final season and I'm not totally convinced Colo and Willo are the answer.

People get on like it's a) easy to find a top defender b) top defenders want to come to us and c) Mike Ashley will pay for the transfer fee/wages of a top defender.

He could easily be replaced by another Perch/Simpson kind of signing, or even a Kadar. Does anyone seriously think Ashley will open up the cheque book? If he does, it'll affect our spending in other areas, like right wing or up front.

I don't think that their is a better defender out there that would come to us, who

A. Isn't nearly passed it like Campbel is.

B. Would play for us for less money than Taylor.

C. Would be as loyal to us as Taylor would be.

Not only that but I'd rather us spend however amount of money it would take to bring in someone as a replacement on other areas. Taylor isn't the finished article yet, I still think he has more in his locker.

Where has the club suggested a figure? And it clearly shows they're doing everything to keep him when they're putting him on the transfer list when he refuses their offer. Not digging at you magorific, I just don't really understand your post.

Apologies if I sounded cryptic. I suppose what I'm getting at is that the Journal gets their info on a story lime this from one place according to my mate in the know - that one place being Derek Llambias.

It all smacks if a clear and sustained agenda to portray Taylor as the bad guy in all this.

Or do we take it as read that this "new contract offer" really exists?

Who would pay £5-6m when they could sign him on a free in 6-7 months? For which they could agree a deal with taylor in a months time

I think around 4million-ish MAX, would be around the mark.

Guest Roger Kint

I don't think that their is a better defender out there that would come to us, who

:mackems:

Who do you suggest like?

Guest Roger Kint

Who do you suggest like?

Eh? Are you seriously agreeing that there are no footballers on this planet who could be found to do a better job than Taylor for under £40k+ a week? That however is a job for our management and scouts as you probably should understand and not me to decide. The fact that £40k could well be about what Willo & Tiote receive between them isnt lost on everyone you know?

Where has the club suggested a figure? And it clearly shows they're doing everything to keep him when they're putting him on the transfer list when he refuses their offer. Not digging at you magorific, I just don't really understand your post.

Apologies if I sounded cryptic. I suppose what I'm getting at is that the Journal gets their info on a story lime this from one place according to my mate in the know - that one place being Derek Llambias.

It all smacks if a clear and sustained agenda to portray Taylor as the bad guy in all this.

Exactly. 

The club have become very canny at manipulating public opinion and making Taylor out to be the bad guy will make it easier to ship him out without much fuss from supporters who now think he is greedy and holding the club to ransom.  I am not saying they necessarily want rid but they will only want to keep him on their terms.  They are incredibly difficult to negotiate with and will only negotiate when it suits them but will imply that it is the other party that is being difficult.

No-one knows the details of the supposed contract offer or what Taylor is currently earning.  The club can leak all the figures they want but at the same time deny Taylor the right to reply.  (And we all know figures can be manipulated to promote whatever angle you want to push).

It is funny how players previously perceived as being popular have all left under a cloud (and are now portrayed as being greedy) - Milner, Given and potentially Taylor.  These are players who may have had their detractors but who have been good servants to the club and have not caused any negative headlines.  Those that fans don’t really give a toss about leave quietly and are immediately forgotten.

Who do you suggest like?

Eh? Are you seriously agreeing that there are no footballers on this planet who could be found to do a better job than Taylor for under £40k+ a week? That however is a job for our management and scouts as you probably should understand and not me to decide. The fact that £40k could well be about what Willo & Tiote receive between them isnt lost on everyone you know?

There probably is, but how do you suggest paying for them? With peanuts? We'll be looking at upwards of £5m+ to replace him, wages on top, and I just can't see us finding anyone/Ashley sanctioning a big money move.

Exactly. 

The club have become very canny at manipulating public opinion and making Taylor out to be the bad guy will make it easier to ship him out without much fuss from supporters who now think he is greedy and holding the club to ransom.  I am not saying they necessarily want rid but they will only want to keep him on their terms.  They are incredibly difficult to negotiate with and will only negotiate when it suits them but will imply that it is the other party that is being difficult.

No-one knows the details of the supposed contract offer or what Taylor is currently earning.  The club can leak all the figures they want but at the same time deny Taylor the right to reply.  (And we all know figures can be manipulated to promote whatever angle you want to push).

It is funny how players previously perceived as being popular have all left under a cloud (and are now portrayed as being greedy) - Milner, Given and potentially Taylor.  These are players who may have had their detractors but who have been good servants to the club and have not caused any negative headlines.  Those that fans dont really give a toss about leave quietly and are immediately forgotten.

You may have a point but imo Alf Taylor (his father, who acts for Taylor) has played the media game as well. If you look back over the last few years the subject of Taylor's contract has had a fair amount of coverage and there have been things published that look very much as though they have come from Taylor's camp. I did ask on an earlier post if anyone can recall who started this "war in the media" because I honestly don't know. 

Guest Roger Kint

Taylor is very average imo, the idea that you can pick a number out of your mind and expect us to agree aside we have proven(and shockingly most other clubs in football) that it is possible to find players for cheaper than £5m. As you and I have no idea what money will be available or even what price he would command if sold how can you dismiss any possibliity of us being able to replace him with better and possibly cheaper?

I think Taylor has got worse while he's been out TBH, it wasn't too long ago he was talked about at least in the same bracket as Dawson and Upson, players who are regularly getting in the England squad.

I don't know how our wage structure has changed recently, but if the club are happy to offer him somewhere in the region of £50k a week then I'd be happy for him to sign that deal.

I think Taylor has got worse while he's been out TBH, it wasn't too long ago he was talked about at least in the same bracket as Dawson and Upson, players who are regularly getting in the England squad.

I don't know how our wage structure has changed recently, but if the club are happy to offer him somewhere in the region of £50k a week then I'd be happy for him to sign that deal.

???

he's only played one game?

As long as we look to sell him once we have him under contract again and use that money to replace him with someone better/better value for money I'm also happy for him to sign the deal.  At the end of the day he's not even a first choice player, there's no way we should be looking to pay a backup player £50k a week long term.  I also don't believe he's ever going to develop into a better player, in case anyone brings that up :)

Who do you suggest like?

David Wheater supposedly linked with us if Taylor goes. Wheater's contract is also up at the end of the season.