Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Would we really miss a player we've not seen for 11 months?

There's also the possibility we could sign a better centre-half as well and his wages wouldn't be near £50k.

And if the choice was...

Coloccini, Williamson, Campbell, Taylor & Carroll, Ameobi, Ranger, Lovenkrands

or

Coloccini, Williamson, Campbell, Kadar (New CB) & Carroll, New Striker, Ameobi, Ranger

I'd have the second option every day of the week.

Taylor out for a few million, Wheater in on less wages and a lower fee than we receive for Taylor, would free up the potential Taylor pay increase on a better calibre of forward or winger in the summer.

he's nowhere near as good as taylor.

If he's not first choice though, does he have to necessarily be better? Doesn't have to particularly be Wheater or Hall, but there'll be options out there who are of a similar level or if not, can do a job as 3rd or 4th choice, while the money we'd be putting on Taylor's new contract could go towards a better partner for Carroll.

Weaken the back to strengthen the front. Madness.

How, exactly? Nobody is asking Hall to be brought in to replace Colocinni. They'd be there as backup and Hall is decent enough to be that.

As the Chelsea game showed, we need him. We need a striker as well, but tbh, having Sol retiring while Williamson 1st choice and Fitz Hall next in line is nothing short of comical. Going in to next season one injury away from Fitz fuking Hall from being a 1st teamer is the right route towards relegation.

Glas no one at the club in the right mind would think along those lines, well maybe Mike Ashley, but that really sums up the crazyness of the shit peddled here.

I think Taylor has got worse while he's been out TBH, it wasn't too long ago he was talked about at least in the same bracket as Dawson and Upson, players who are regularly getting in the England squad.

I don't know how our wage structure has changed recently, but if the club are happy to offer him somewhere in the region of £50k a week then I'd be happy for him to sign that deal.

Really? I think he's got better. Everyone realised how poor he actually was before he was injured, now he's been out for a while people have reverted to believing that he's some kind of Geordie Baresi.

Ashley Williams, Swansea.

You say this every time :lol:

I agree though, he was best CB in the Champ last season after Colo.

Taylor was as good as Colo in the first half of the season or, if not, pretty close.  If he hadn't been injured he probably would've been in the team of year as well.

Taylor didn't play for Swansea, though.

Well Maynard scored loads and didn't play for Newcastle.  I wouldn't want him though.

I don't know why, he's better than what we've got apart from Carroll.

He'd just get ten minutes here and there like Ranger and wouldn't be able to make an impact.

I've said it before but Hughton should've played Ranger and a few other more last season.  He knew the budget would be small this season and should've know the likes of Ranger would play, last season was the perfect opportunity to give him some decent experience.

That's getting off topic though...

Scott Dann or Roger Johnson would be good.

I would love Roger Johnson here, think he's been brilliant for Birmingham since he joined.

He was brilliant for Cardiff too.

Didnt know that, but it doesnt suprise me looks like a solid centre-half

There's also the possibility we could sign a better centre-half as well and his wages wouldn't be near £50k.

And if the choice was...

or

Coloccini, Williamson, Campbell, Kadar (New CB) & Carroll, New Striker, Ameobi, Ranger

Campbell is gone at the end of the season, and Kadar is totally unproven. That "new striker" money would be needer for a defender to replace Taylor. So you're looking at either a sub-standard cheap replacement (see Kadar, Perch, Simpson, R.Taylor), or a cheap new striker (see Lovenkrands, Best). I'd rather just tie the player down to a new contract and put all our funds into strengthening the first team.

I'm sceptical about these wage demands, the club seem to have a brinkmanship and cavalier way of dealing which may pocket a few pennies but doesn't always put the club's interests first. Transfer listing Taylor was a perfect example, all outsiders thought it was strange and if anything lowers the value of the player. Really how often do you see clubs doing that?

Guest Roger Kint

Wasnt it established that Taylor would command a fee like Sturridge did for Chelsea as he was 24 during the season should he leave in the summer? Or was that a load of shite? Cant be arsed to go back to whatever page it was to see. Would like to think compensation would be about the same as Sturridges £3m figure though :undecided:

And if the choice was...

or

Campbell is gone at the end of the season, and Kadar is totally unproven. That "new striker" money would be needer for a defender to replace Taylor. So you're looking at either a sub-standard cheap replacement (see Kadar, Perch, Simpson, R.Taylor), or a cheap new striker (see Lovenkrands, Best). I'd rather just tie the player down to a new contract and put all our funds into strengthening the first team.

I'm sceptical about these wage demands, the club seem to have a brinkmanship and cavalier way of dealing which may pocket a few pennies but doesn't always put the club's interests first. Transfer listing Taylor was a perfect example, all outsiders thought it was strange and if anything lowers the value of the player. Really how often do you see clubs doing that?

On the other hand, such kinda "do or die" policy is essential in making our deals a lot more sensible then before.  Tiote and HBA would probably cost a double.

I believe lots of ppl here will agree transfer-listing Taylor in order to force him signing a reasonable contract, even if resulting losing him, is better than signing a 40k + ppw contract with him.  He's just a "capable" EPL defender and is no where near international standard, has been causing several troubles to the team and is not a club icon when he thinks he is.  To me the risk is worth-taking, not for you I know.

I think the club have handled this pretty well, I don't have a problem with transfer listing him if he was demanding ridiculous wages.

On the other hand, if we end up signing him on a wage that the club has now decided we can afford, I'd be happy with that as well.

Guest Roger Kint

I think the club have handled this pretty well, I don't have a problem with transfer listing him if he was demanding ridiculous wages.

On the other hand, if we end up signing him on a wage that the club has now decided we can afford, I'd be happy with that as well.

Its how they handle the expiring contracts of more important players during next summer i am more interested in. If we cant afford to keep the Enriques and Bartons on contracts they will be happy with yet give Taylor a huge rise i wont be so happy given he isnt near the same level.

Its how they handle the expiring contracts of more important players during next summer i am more interested in. If we cant afford to keep the Enriques and Bartons on contracts they will be happy with yet give Taylor a huge rise i wont be so happy given he isnt near the same level.

Oh aye, totally, any offer should be in line with his position in the squad, and it would be a disaster if we allowed better players to leave.

Saying that, Taylor does have some things going in his favour - his experience, his Englishness etc.

If he signs a deal worth £50k-a-week it really just doesn't sit right with me. :undecided: That would probably make him one of the top three or four paid squad members? Obviously, we have no idea what the players earn but he'd definitely be in the very top bracket. He's really not worth it; fourth choice centre-back as far as i'm concerned. Hopefully he'll sign it and some dafty from Liverpool or Man City will come in for him with plenty of cash.

Guest Heneage

If he signs a deal worth £50k-a-week it really just doesn't sit right with me. :undecided: That would probably make him one of the top three or four paid squad members? Obviously, we have no idea what the players earn but he'd definitely be in the very top bracket. He's really not worth it; fourth choice centre-back as far as i'm concerned. Hopefully he'll sign it and some dafty from Liverpool or Man City will come in for him with plenty of cash.

I think it's being done with the intention to sell him.

Nowhere near on Barton's level? Slight overstatement of Joey's performances?