Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

I'm not surprised. He may miscontrol the ball more than most, but in certain situations, he can cause problems for even the best defenders.

Successive managers have rated him more highly than the supporters, and I think that's the reason why. You can find plenty of strikers whose weaknesses aren't so glaring, but who don't actually have anything in their armoury that the better defences can't handle comfortably.

It's just a different way of assessing a player.

This is the biggest load of crap any of you will read today.

I thought it was pretty near the mark. The Shola hatred is over the top from some quarters. He's not good enough to start but he has scored important goals for us in the past. As a back up option he is ok imo.

It's pretty much spot on. Similar levels of striker include people like James Beattie and Cameron Jerome, who don't have obvious weaknesses and look more capable, but never give defences the problems that Shola does.

Seriously, how can anyone possibly be delighted with the club showing yet again it has no ambition by giving this oaf an extended contract?

Short memories.

I guarantee that half of the "Good news/alright backup/stop overreacting!" brigade will be calling him worse than shit the next time he plays and puts in a Shola performance.

Seriously, how can anyone possibly be delighted with the club showing yet again it has no ambition by giving this oaf an extended contract?

Short memories.

I guarantee that half of the "Good news/alright backup/stop overreacting!" brigade will be calling him worse than shit the next time he plays and puts in a Shola performance.

Nah, my only reaction now is "it's Shola, he's shit sometimes". You know what you're getting with Foluwashola.

Short memories.

Bit supercilious, that, JH.

As Ian W said, Shola is a known quantity.

Short memories.

Well I'm in the other half then, since I've never subscribed to the theory that he's absolute shite. He's not good enough to be starting but if he is it's because we don't have enough genuine quality strikers at the club. Get that sorted first then we can look at upgrading our 3rd and fourth choice forwards.

Short memories.

I guarantee that half of the "Good news/alright backup/stop overreacting!" brigade will be calling him worse than s*** the next time he plays and puts in a Shola performance.

Aye, so why are people happy?! :lol:

Ba

Best

Shola

Lovenkrands

Ranger

Is probably Pardew's pecking order up-front. Until he is 5th, he should get a new contract. Whether that's through new signings, Ranger coming good, or Peter Lovenkrands showing some ability for the first time his career.

A nice little plus with the contract is the Sammy effect. I'm absolutely certain that Sammy will want him at NUFC, so this will no doubt keep his morale up. Could be the next Ferdinand, or Cole or Shearer or something. Or maybe even the next Ameobi.

Ah he was never going to go BUT its the difference between a player that loves the club for real and those that say they love the club.

"new contract offer here Shola"

"Cool giz a look, yeah mint got a pen?" *signed*

No pissing about humming and harring

Ba

Best

Shola

Lovenkrands

Ranger

Is probably Pardew's pecking order up-front. Until he is 5th, he should get a new contract. Whether that's through new signings, Ranger coming good, or Peter Lovenkrands showing some ability for the first time his career.

A nice little plus with the contract is the Sammy effect. I'm absolutely certain that Sammy will want him at NUFC, so this will no doubt keep his morale up. Could be the next Ferdinand, or Cole or Shearer or something. Or maybe even the next Ameobi.

You could probably include Ben Arfa as another forward who is ahead of Shola really as he might well be used as a withdrawn forward in a lot of games.

Short memories.

I guarantee that half of the "Good news/alright backup/stop overreacting!" brigade will be calling him worse than s*** the next time he plays and puts in a Shola performance.

Takes cracking penalties for a start. Scores regularly against our rivals. Provides an aerial threat to opponents and team mates alike. (:laugh:) Provides quality entertainment. Probably more than anyone else at the club. His finishing is deceptively decent too.

He is committed to the club, has a rapport and connection with the area, is highly affable, and despite the hyperbolic criticism vented at him and how ready people are to start on a twenty minute tirade at his first misplaced pass every game... he actually does a reasonable job when called upon. Popular among the players, too. Doesn't get in trouble with the police/press (which, admittedly, should be a given - but clearly isn't with our squad).

Never setting the world alight, but for a club of our standing with owners who aren't in a hurry to take us places very quickly, he is a good back-up striker.

Guest TurboTrev

He's not the best, but nevertheless he is a useful squad member who loves the club and who doesn't cause any trouble outside of football.  So as we need squad players as well as 1st eleven players, I would also have given him the contract.

Short memories.

Takes cracking penalties for a start. Scores regularly against our rivals. Provides an aerial threat to opponents and team mates alike. (:laugh:) Provides quality entertainment. Probably more than anyone else at the club. His finishing is deceptively decent too.

He is committed to the club, has a rapport and connection with the area, is highly affable, and despite the hyperbolic criticism vented at him and how ready people are to start on a twenty minute tirade at his first misplaced pass every game... he actually does a reasonable job when called upon. Popular among the players, too. Doesn't get in trouble with the police/press (which, admittedly, should be a given - but clearly isn't with our squad).

Never setting the world alight, but for a club of our standing with owners who aren't in a hurry to take us places very quickly, he is a good back-up striker.

well said - exactly what I was thinking.

Short memories.

Nah. He's shit :shifty:

Short memories.

:thup: Spot on.

Need to see the back of the likes of Lovenkrands, Ranger, Smith, Raylor etc before we remove club legends like Shola.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's had enough time at the club to "be funny". He's the same shitness level as all these other muppets we want out, no reason to give him a new contract at all.

He's had enough time at the club to "be funny". He's the same shitness level as all these other muppets we want out, no reason to give him a new contract at all.

Fwiw, I'd be incredibly surprised if he sees out this contract.

If we were to bring in a couple of decent strikers in the next few windows, Shola should be relatively easy to shift (I'm aware this hasn't been the case in the past).

I'm not surprised. He may miscontrol the ball more than most, but in certain situations, he can cause problems for even the best defenders.

Successive managers have rated him more highly than the supporters, and I think that's the reason why. You can find plenty of strikers whose weaknesses aren't so glaring, but who don't actually have anything in their armoury that the better defences can't handle comfortably.

It's just a different way of assessing a player.

This is the biggest load of crap any of you will read today.

Would you like to share with the rest of us your explanation for why he's survived at the club so long? If he's as bad as you make out, he seems to have fooled quite a number of managers.