Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

I don't get the implication that NUFC should sign him up before his contract enters the last year. Who are NUFC competing with for his signature? Are other clubs waiting to pounce if NUFC hesitate? I doubt it.

If Shola wants to play regular football then he should leave. If he's happy to be a 'super' sub and get the occasional start in a cup game then he will stay. I don't hate Shola but I would hope that NUFC don't rely on him. His goal return isn't good for a striker. His fitness record isn't good either. If he's on a low wage and 4th or 5th choice I don't have a problem with him staying.

I have no issue with him stopping around and playing 10/15 minutes here and there it's when he starting matches it's a problem. We simply have to bring in at least 1 forward this summer because Cisse can't play every game and there is no better motivation than competition for places.

Guest bimpy474

Don't see a problem myself. With the exception of the wages. Ok to have on the bench, great in the dressing room. More importantly he's the player who tells anyone new just what this club is and how important it is to the area, and what's to be expected from them.

Just in my opinion every club should have and most do have such a player, unfortunately for us our player isn't as good as other clubs. Giggs/Scholes (Man Utd), Osman/Hibbert (Everton), Gerrard/Carragher Liverpool, Terry (Chelsea). Players who know what their club is about because they're brought up in the shadow of that club and know just what it means to the supporters.

He isn't good enough to play like them, guess it must be his importance around the club, give him a coaching job too, if he's good enough in that role.

Guest Roger Kint

Don't see a problem myself. With the exception of the wages. Ok to have on the bench, great in the dressing room. More importantly he's the player who tells anyone new just what this club is and how important it is to the area, and what's to be expected from them.

Just in my opinion every club should have and most do have such a player, unfortunately for us our player isn't as good as other clubs. Giggs/Scholes (Man Utd), Osman/Hibbert (Everton), Gerrard/Carragher Liverpool, Terry (Chelsea). Players who know what their club is about because they're brought up in the shadow of that club and know just what it means to the supporters.

He isn't good enough to play like them, guess it must be his importance around the club, give him a coaching job too, if he's good enough in that role.

Totally agree

Keep him, he can still do a job for us.  He can be frustrating, infuriating even but he can do his bit both on the pitch and in the dressing room and at the end of the day, it's Shola.  Shouldn't even be a question.

No, he's rubbish. Stop forgetting he's rubbish. He's been rubbish for his entire career bar some random spurts of mediocrity.

Coach or nothing, for me. Unless Pardew can promise me he'll never get near the pitch and just do work backstage - unfortunately, with Pardew, that is unlikely.

No, he's rubbish. Stop forgetting he's rubbish. He's been rubbish for his entire career bar some random spurts of mediocrity.

Coach or nothing, for me. Unless Pardew can promise me he'll never get near the pitch and just do work backstage - unfortunately, with Pardew, that is unlikely.

Can't imagine Shola as a fluffer like.

I imagine we'll sign Shola up and try for another striker in the summer. Try being the key word, because with Cisse, Gouffran, Ameobi and Campbell on the books unless we get a really good deal I can't see us splashing out for another.

Shola has 15 months left on his current deal so no need to tie him up really.

Isn't that the point of the discussion though? ???

Some are talking like he wouldnt be here after June without a new contract as it stops us signing someone else which was my point. Not really sure what you are getting at as even if we didnt tie up Shola we can still do exectly what you are saying(its what i was saying as well) ???

Didn't realise he had another year yet to go, sorry.

In which case there's even less reason to give him another contract. Let this one run out and call it a day.

I imagine we'll sign Shola up and try for another striker in the summer. Try being the key word, because with Cisse, Gouffran, Ameobi and Campbell on the books unless we get a really good deal I can't see us splashing out for another.

Shola has 15 months left on his current deal so no need to tie him up really.

Isn't that the point of the discussion though? ???

Some are talking like he wouldnt be here after June without a new contract as it stops us signing someone else which was my point. Not really sure what you are getting at as even if we didnt tie up Shola we can still do exectly what you are saying(its what i was saying as well) ???

Didn't realise he had another year yet to go, sorry.

In which case there's even less reason to give him another contract. Let this one run out and call it a day.

:thup: we won't progress whilst we're still relying on players like him.

It is just on FM or real life too that you need to have 4 Academy players, or "home grown" players in European squads? Wonder if this is in the thinking too.

We already have enough of those: Saylor, Vuckic, Krul, Sammeobi, Ferguson, Tavernier etc... Then we have Raylor, Elliott, Gosling, Williamson, Bigirimana etc... to add to the players trained at a home nation club.

It is just on FM or real life too that you need to have 4 Academy players, or "home grown" players in European squads? Wonder if this is in the thinking too.

We already have enough of those: Saylor, Vuckic, Krul, Sammeobi, Ferguson, Tavernier etc... Then we have Raylor, Elliott, Gosling, Williamson, Bigirimana etc... to add to the players trained at a home nation club.

A few of those though you don't have to register at all though because they're under 21 though?

His career minutes per goal is 274.  That's 1 in 3 :fwap:

1 in 3 strikers not to be sniffed at boys. 5 year deal. :fwap:

He can only play 20 minutes at a time.  So it's actually closer to 1 in 10 :p

You can't argue with stats. 1 in 3. :fwap:

Has never managed more than 30 league appearances in a season.

Has never scored more than 9 goals in a Premier league season.

Has never scored more than a total of 11 goals in all competitions in a season.

Has managed 9 goals in the last 3 seasons.

A good chunk of those goals are against the mackems. Long may that continue

A few of those though you don't have to register at all though because they're under 21 though?

All bar Bigirimana will be 21 or over next season though.

51 goals in 282 appearances.  A record any decent midfielder would be happy with.

9 goals in his last 74 Premier League appearances.  1 in 19 this season.  2 in 27 last season.

What a mess we have.

Only 4 more careers to catch up with Shearer.

51 goals in 282 appearances.  A record any decent midfielder would be happy with.

9 goals in his last 74 Premier League appearances.  1 in 19 this season.  2 in 27 last season.

What a mess we have.

Only 4 more careers to catch up with Shearer.

Turns out he averages a goal every 270 mins since he started playing for us. 1 in 3, not that bad for a backup.

A goal every 321 mins this season.

To put that in context, Danny Welbeck (a player who does a similar job on a far better level for the current league leaders) averages a goal every 299 mins in his Man United career to date.

As I said earlier for someone to keep around the squad and bring on for 10 mins here and there he is fine. The chances of us buying the 2 or probably 3 strikers we'd need if we got shot off him are low too.