Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

http://www.nufc.com/

Shola Ameobi's latest spot kick success has prompted a few of you to request details of his penalty kick record and whether he's ever missed one.

The answer is no - at least competitively, with Saturday bringing the ninth successful conversion of his career. All have come at St.James' Park and all but one of the nine was netted in front of the Gallowgate End:

27.10.2004 Norwich City (h) LC (Leazes End)

22.04.2006 West Brom (h) PL (Gallowgate End)

15.10.2006 Bolton (h) PL (Gallowgate End)

01.02.2009 mackems (h) PL (Gallowgate End)

15.08.2009 Reading (h) C'ship (Gallowgate End)

26.08.2009 Huddersfield Town (h) LC (Gallowgate End)

24.04.2010 Ipswich Town (h) C'ship (Gallowgate End)

31.10.2010 mackems (h) PL (Gallowgate End)

07.05.2011 Birmingham City (h) PL (Gallowgate End)

Our Champions League qualifier against Partizan Belgrade in August 2003 gave Ameobi his first public test from 12 yards, during the shootout - at the Gallowgate End.

And although he scored, messrs Shearer, Dyer, Woodgate and Hughes weren't so fortunate and United exited 3-4.

The pre-season tour to South East Asia in 2004 then saw Shola find the target in shootouts against both Thailand in Bangkok and Kitchee in Singapore.

However he has failed from the spot once, during the first half of a pre-season kickabout in August 2005 against Irish side Bray Wanderers. Australian U21 keeper Chris O'Connor guessed correctly to palm Ameobi's effort away.

Some striker misidentification from the Guardian's Birmingham City match coverage conjures up the ghost of Sir Bobby Robson:

Newcastle 1-0 Birmingham (Ameobi 36 pen) Carl Cort gives Newcastle the lead from the penalty spot.

(Nic Wirtz)

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5859/ameobi.jpg

:coat:

So....this arrived today  :lol:

The picture of Shola is a bit to small for my liking, but it still came out pretty good imo.

Im getting a new camera tomorrow, so will hoy up a picture then!

Shola Ameobi's latest spot kick success has prompted a few of you to request details of his penalty kick record and whether he's ever missed one.

The answer is no - at least competitively, with Saturday bringing the ninth successful conversion of his career. All have come at St.James' Park and all but one of the nine was netted in front of the Gallowgate End:

Our Champions League qualifier against Partizan Belgrade in August 2003 gave Ameobi his first public test from 12 yards, during the shootout - at the Gallowgate End.

And although he scored, messrs Shearer, Dyer, Woodgate and Hughes weren't so fortunate and United exited 3-4.

The pre-season tour to South East Asia in 2004 then saw Shola find the target in shootouts against both Thailand in Bangkok and Kitchee in Singapore.

However he has failed from the spot once, during the first half of a pre-season kickabout in August 2005 against Irish side Bray Wanderers. Australian U21 keeper Chris O'Connor guessed correctly to palm Ameobi's effort away.

Some striker misidentification from the Guardian's Birmingham City match coverage conjures up the ghost of Sir Bobby Robson:

Newcastle 1-0 Birmingham (Ameobi 36 pen) Carl Cort gives Newcastle the lead from the penalty spot.

(Nic Wirtz)

With that gangly physique, he doesn't look a natural penalty-taker at all.

I can only put his success down to him being a natural optimist. He approaches the penalty spot in the right frame of mind, like Le Tiss used to do.

(Nic Wirtz)

With that gangly physique, he doesn't look a natural penalty-taker at all.

I can only put his success down to him being a natural optimist. He approaches the penalty spot in the right frame of mind, like Le Tiss used to do.

I always still get scared when he takes one as well. But the Ipswich one was at the Leazes IIRC. Butt went down, everyone thought he was going to take it.

i'm sure after the 5-1 win over the mackems when he was interviewed he said he was nervous when taking the penalty as he'd practiced a few the day before and missed them all!!

i'm sure after the 5-1 win over the mackems when he was interviewed he said he was nervous when taking the penalty as he'd practiced a few the day before and missed them all!!

All the more credit to him for taking it on the day.

Le Tissier was once asked for the secret to taking a good pen, and he said that too many players were worried about missing. He always had in his mind beforehand, a picture of the ball hitting the net, the cheering crowd, the congratulations from team mates etc

Shola is one of nature's positive thinkers. With the amount of abuse he takes from fans, he ought to be the last one that would volunteer for a penalty. But he obviously sees it as an opportunity, not a risk. Not long ago, he was talking about getting a call-up to the England squad, and being Newcastle manager one day. We can all laugh, but there's nothing wrong with having an aim and being positive.

On the pitch, he and the team can be having a terrible day, but he'll keep showing for the ball, and keep trying things. This season, we've seen him risk his long-term fitness by playing before a facial injury has fully recovered. I'm sure that in the past, he's turned out when only half-fit, in situations where other players might have ducked out. I would love it if his spirit is rewarded in the end by a really great moment, like the winning goal in a Cup Final.

All the more credit to him for taking it on the day.

Le Tissier was once asked for the secret to taking a good pen, and he said that too many players were worried about missing. He always had in his mind beforehand, a picture of the ball hitting the net, the cheering crowd, the congratulations from team mates etc

Shola is one of nature's positive thinkers. With the amount of abuse he takes from fans, he ought to be the last one that would volunteer for a penalty. But he obviously sees it as an opportunity, not a risk. Not long ago, he was talking about getting a call-up to the England squad, and being Newcastle manager one day. We can all laugh, but there's nothing wrong with having an aim and being positive.

On the pitch, he and the team can be having a terrible day, but he'll keep showing for the ball, and keep trying things. This season, we've seen him risk his long-term fitness by playing before a facial injury has fully recovered. I'm sure that in the past, he's turned out when only half-fit, in situations where other players might have ducked out. I would love it if his spirit is rewarded in the end by a really great moment, like the winning goal in a Cup Final.

I do have a picture of an older Shola, standing on the touchline dressed in a suit, a hat on and and apple in his hand in my head now. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

I fucking love Shola Ameobi. He's shit but he's our shit. I think its great that a kid from Nigeria can come to Newcastle and be so intrinsically Newcastle. I love how he has a broader Geordie accent than me as well. :lol:

Looked so proud when 'young' Sammy came on. Saw him a few times telling him where to be. Brotherly love.

It was such a beautiful sight :lol: I genuinely couldn't stop smiling. Don't think he put much of a foot wrong at all today. Good hold up play, good link up, worked his socks off up there.