Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

People need to get a grip.

Can this club afford to sustain four top strikers? No.

Is the club going to find another striker better than Shola but prepared to be fourth choice? No.

Is another fourth choice striker going to be as motivated as Shola when he gets a chance? No.

Is another fourth choice striker going to deliver the occasional matchwinner like Shola can? No.

Is another fourth choice striker going to count towards a required home grown quota if we get into Europe over the next few years? No.

So why pay significant money, on a player that wouldn't do better than Shola?

Guest cr4igora

why pay significant money, on a player that wouldn't do better than Shola?

We need to pay significant money for a player that would do better than Shola. A lot better.

Guest WashyGeordie

And we all wondered where most of the £35million went...

It's obviously gone to fund that the Ameobi legacy lives on.

We need to pay significant money for a player that would do better than Shola. A lot better.

Exactly. So why waste money trying to replace Shola? As by not wanting him, that is what we'd need to do.

People need to get a grip.

Can this club afford to sustain four top strikers? No.

Is the club going to find another striker better than Shola but prepared to be fourth choice? No.

Is another fourth choice striker going to be as motivated as Shola when he gets a chance? No.

Is another fourth choice striker going to deliver the occasional matchwinner like Shola can? No.

Is another fourth choice striker going to count towards a required home grown quota if we get into Europe over the next few years? No.

So why pay significant money, on a player that wouldn't do better than Shola?

Should we be constantly looking to improve on our current striking options meaning individuals fall down the pecking order as opposed to buying strikers to play as a 'fourth choice'? Yes

By this time next summer should we have aquired enough quality meaning Shola is surplus to requirements? Yes

Does offering a contract show a willingness to settle for mediocrity? Yes

Guest cr4igora

Exactly. So why waste money trying to replace Shola? As by not wanting him, that is what we'd need to do.

Because if he is off the books and we take (a very small) transfer fee for his services elsewhere, then we aren't wasting so much money.

Why can't we pay a few million for a promising striker who would take a quarter of the wages and might, just might, be a very good player in the future? We know Ameobi is only going backwards (which is some feat) so why not have a gamble? We do it with midfielders so why not a striker?

Sick of thinking about this now. Pathetic decision, yet again.

Incredible that he gets contract after contract while other players get no one.

I think if he asked for what those other players are asking he'd be bombed out pretty sharpish.

Aye, but the players asking for better than what Shola got, are much better players though

But they are first team players who aren't that great and we could replace for the same money with better players, i.e., Cabaye>Nolan. The only player of real class we haven't re-signed is Enrique and that's because he wants to play for a CL club or challenging for CL at least.

You don't know that Cabaye is better than Nolan yet. He hasn't played a game for us in the PL. I agree with you, from what I've seen, he's the better player. But only time will tell if he's the better player for us.

If you want a 100% guarantee that a signing will come off then you would never make a signing. Cabaye wouldn't have been signed and Nolan would have been handed a new contract. Is that what you're advocating?

As an FYI - Can't be bothered to do a proper list, so going off FF, these are the fourth choice strikers at other Prem clubs (assuming he is behind the three Bs of Ba, Best and Ben Arfa here)

Arsenal - Vela

Villa - Delfouneso

Blackburn - Rochina

Bolton - None listed

Chelsea - Sturridge

Everton - Gueye

Fulham - None listed

Liverpool - N'Gog

Citeh - Balotelli

Man Utd - Welbeck

Norwich - Morison

QPR - Mackie

Stoke - None listed

Mackems - Dong-Jon Wi

Swansea - Moore

Spurs - Keane

WBA - Miller

Wigan - None listed

Wolves - Vokes

If Miller quoted for WBA is Ishmael Miller, He's now at Forest.

Shola wouldn't cut it anywhere else as the crowd would kill him. We all know he will make a right bollock of a lot of things but we also know that at times he is almost unplayable (in a Shola way). I have absolutely no problem with him getting this extension. It's his last real prime contract and I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the same terms or possibly less.

Gan on son.

Guest Recoba

I reckon he is Pardews second choice centre forwar, after Ba.

Convinced he will start Saturday.  Ba and Ameobi have played a bit together pre season. 

Barton - Cabaye - Tiote - Jonas

Ameobi - Ba

Then Gosling, Marv, Obertan off the bench.  Either Best or Vuckic will miss out on the match squad.

I reckon.

It's the fact that everyone was rightfully saying how the fuck did he manage to get a new contract when Kinnear was around (well not really, it was obviously because Kinnear was around) and here we are again.  Only thing going for him in my book is that he's a canny lad, that's it.  He'll be a nice lad in the dressing room, he'll not kick off when he's on the bench or played on the wing or some shite, oh and I suppose he'll play quite well 3 or 4 times a season.  It worries me that we're not aiming higher but as cali says above it's a sign of the times I suppose, stick this on the list with all the rest of the shit that's happened.

Guest teepee

i dont mind this tbh - for he is our second best out and out striker right now - and we will need bodies, even if we get an proper striker ind

Kinnear renewed Butt and Shola. As if he didn't do enough damage with the results he got for christs sake :lol:

Although, actually, the Shola renewal paid off after he was long-gone, due to his usefulness in the Championship.