Are we on the up, as a club?

Guest Howaythetoon

The last 3-4 years when people were saying, "I'd take relegation to get rid of the deadwood and start again", I couldn't understand or believe people actually thought that. We were lucky...very lucky, but it looks like it's possible that's happened by hook or by crook.

We've got a good togetherness, a manager who just gets on with it, and an owner and chairman who appear to be finally doing what an owner of chairman should do. A bit early to judge yet, but it's looking promising again.

Guest BooBoo

A draw tomorrow, beat Blackpool and bring in HBA and possibly Keane then I will be, at long last, pleasantly surprised.

Yes but it can all change very quickly.

End of thread. Unquestionably HTT's most concise ever.

...the ingredients are there for us. Have been for some time. It's the unfailingly astounding capacity of llambias (I'm blaming him) to snatch ignominious defeat from the jaws of victory that has had us on the down.

We always think we are on the up this time of year. As Sir Bobby said, don't look at the league table until November.

True. Exactly two years ago today, when Milner put in his transfer request, most thought we'd be on the up as well (despite the Milner situation). Obviously we were on the down, starting to accelerate.

Guest malandro

...the ingredients are there for us. Have been for some time. It's the unfailingly astounding capacity of llambias (I'm blaming him) to snatch ignominious defeat from the jaws of victory that has had us on the down.

That and the £120m+ the club owes Mike Ashley.

I would say its more like we are finding our feet, getting rid of the players who dont want to be here, getting in new players on easier to handle contracts, adding players without spunking 12/15milion on them at a time. Sticking with a manager for longer than 3 months.

As people have said it could all end literally in 3-5 games back to back losses and the side looses heart the fans loose their rags and the fat man at the top may feel its time for a change and the cycle starts again.

I hope and pray we build on what seems to be the good vibes but always have a nagging doubt.

Is that not cash that would have had to have been paid elsewhere anyway? (banks, interest rates, etc)

The stability Hughton has brought has been invaluable. Standing still at this point would also class as progression (as in staying in the division, living off a small budget and paying back debts)

Guest malandro

Is that not cash that would have had to have been paid elsewhere anyway? (banks, interest rates, etc)

The club owes him the money, why and how has no relevance on the impact on the club if he tries to claw it back.

I guess it's stopped us from buying players for their names instead of their quality. Financially the club is getting better and within 5 years or so should be atleast breaking even. Team wise we are only 3 games into the season and can't really say anything on that front. Relegation may of done us well, infact I'd go as far as recommending it to Sunderland, multiple times.

Slightly OT: anyone else think Ashley has been waiting till near the window closes to bring in his more expensive targets? Make out we've got no money to spend then suddenly we've blown £10m on 3 players? Hope so.