Wolves 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 28/08/10 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

With the penalty appeal, does the ref take into account the position of the ball ?

The guy appears to whack the ball way too far ahead of him. He was never going to reach it. Could be interpreted as playing for the penalty.  :undecided:

If Hughton moaning about it makes one ref notice the "treatment" Barton is getting that post match "whinge" has done its job, imo like.

or if it makes refs not give stuff cos they dont want to seem to be pressured into it by a manager.

Guest localhero87

If Hughton moaning about it makes one ref notice the "treatment" Barton is getting that post match "whinge" has done its job, imo like.

I think having a full two-minute segment on the biggest premiership highlights show dedicating to showing the unfair treatment has the same effect. Yeah, maybe they laughed it off a bit, but it still showed the challenges in full motion.

With the penalty appeal, does the ref take into account the position of the ball ?

The guy appears to whack the ball way too far ahead of him. He was never going to reach it. Could be interpreted as playing for the penalty.  :undecided:

nope, it's the theatrical way the bloke goes down when HE HAS BEEN FOULED.

No need to shout.

Guest malandro

True, but it can work the other way as well. Try to put referees under pressure and sometimes they go out of their way to prove they haven’t been influenced. I’m sure there will be enough made of the Barton hit squad to draw referees attention to his treatment, and the way he kept his cool might just change people’s perceptions of him a little.

I was well pissed off with MOTD’s lets all have a giggle at Barton getting kicked off the pitch attitude. Rooney is prone to the red mist and if Wolves had attempted to hack him into getting sent off it wouldn’t be seen as a joke.

Just watched the whole game, should have won it really, too many missed chances.

Despite what was said during the game, thought the ref didn't favour Wolves. Thought he was bad thoughout but not helped by the players really. They did kick lumps out of us for sure.

Thought Perch outside of the penalty that never was (which most certainly was), was pretty good. Thought Williamson didn't help him enough, and definately at fault for the goal, left Perch two on one. Williamson also had a weak header that resulted in a chance for Wolves.

Nolan was poor, he got into good positions and laid on one great chance for Carroll, but too many weak finishes.

Routledge was my man of the match, constant threat and decent crossing.

Just saw the highlights. Looks like Barton was kicked off the pitch. Nee protection from the ref. If it had been Walcott or similar it would've been a different story.

Aye, Walcott would have snapped in half. And Wenger would have gone f***ing nuts

Any team managed by McCarthy is going to be physical - that is why I was hoping Tiote would be picked for this match because he would have taken some of the attention away from Barton.

Wolves were second best for most of the game and didn't deserve to win although Perch was VERY fortunate with his challenge on Jarvis in the box. When you saw the replay from another angle, he most definitely caught the player and it should have been a pen.

Overall, though, we were the better side with more possession. On chances created in the second half, we should have won the match so a draw is probably a fair result. Wolves wouldn't get away with that sort of approach at SJP, so hopefully they can be given their just desserts in the return game.

The accumulation of yellow cards is going to cause problems later in the season and I hope Taylor isn't sold

because we may well need him once suspensions start kicking in...metaphorically, of course....!

Much more effective performance from Routledge whose runs and crossing caused them trouble.

Great header from Carroll, not as easy as it looked because he got great height AND direction on it after a

good diagonal run in the box.

Would like to see what effect Keane's runs would have in terms of creating even more chances for Carroll.

He would be a good signing in my opinion and will be needed to change our pattern of play because the better sides will soon suss out Nolan playing off Carroll...he isn't mobile enough against better defenders.

Overall a satisfactory result and one I would have taken before the game. Disappointed we didn't snatch it though because Wigan and Blackpool also picked up points...Wigan's win at Spurs was a real shocker and shows you can't take anything for granted in the PL....we need a good win next week.

Both were probably taken into account to be fair.

I'm sure it does influence decisions like that in favour of the defending team.  Even if it's not supposed to, the ball flying out of touch must sway it a bit when the player goes down like that.

I went to the game.

Harper  6 - ok

Perch  5 - Was a penalty otherwise good.

Williamson  7.5 - Excellent in the air, good on the deck.

Coloccini  7 good

Enrique  7 good as always

Routledge  6 ok, when he skinned the keeper should have done better and put the ball across the goal for barton.

Smith  6 Was a critic but has been much better thus far this season in breaking up oppositions play. Some good interceptions

Barton  7 - Battled and did well to keep his head.

Jonas  6.5 good

Nolan  6 worked hard got in good positions and could have had two or three. Looking forward to seeing some one with pace in his position

Carroll  7 Great header. Missed a couple he could have done better with.

We did everything right in that game but score the goals. Even the one we got was a fantastic header. Shame we didn't convert more chances because we were head and shoulders above Wolves considering it was their home game. Routledge was outstanding and Jonas did well on the other side.

Having seen the tv now, it was a penalty but the lad probably would have gone on to score if Perch had not challenged him there.

A couple of comments on key performances that need pointing out as people get wrong impressions.

I was pleased with Perch yesterday, on that showing he is our best option at right back. He was quick and did the simple things well and got up in support of Routledge often too. very encouraging.

Nolan however will have to make way for one of the new signings, the match highlights on tv give a misleading impression of his non contribution I am sorry to say

Having seen the tv now, it was a penalty but the lad probably would have gone on to score if Perch had not challenged him there.

A couple of comments on key performances that need pointing out as people get wrong impressions.

I was pleased with Perch yesterday, on that showing he is our best option at right back. He was quick and did the simple things well and got up in support of Routledge often too. very encouraging.

Nolan however will have to make way for one of the new signings, the match highlights on tv give a misleading impression of his non contribution I am sorry to say

That's Hughton's biggest test imo. To drop one of his favourites (it seems to be the case, at least) with Nolan. To drop Barton instead of Nolan would be just crazy.

That's Hughton's biggest test imo. To drop one of his favourites (it seems to be the case, at least) with Nolan. To drop Barton instead of Nolan would be just crazy.

It's not a case of dropping his 'favourite', it's dropping the club captain. I was expecting him to play on Wednesday as well to be fair so there's a chance he will be dropped, but I reckon it's much more likely that he'll be accommodated elsewhere in the midfield. This in itself brings a whole host of problems, assuming we stick with the 4-5-1.

In the central (DM/CM/AM) role we have:

Tiote

Guthrie

Barton

Ben Arfa

Nolan

Smith

Gosling (almost forgot about this fella)

That's an extraordinary amount of central players.. all of which have shown that they have the ability at the top level. Obviously with some it's just being once in a blue moon, such as Smith, and others have only just started to show their potential in the squad, such as Barton. Then we have full (current) Internationals that will almost expect a starting role, such as Tiote & Ben Arfa.

I would think that a 4-3-3 could potentially solve a few problems, as Ben Arfa could be played wide right or left in an attacking role and that would give 3 central slots to the other ones, but apparently HBA was told he would be given a central playmaker role.. so who knows! I can't imagine the effect that having Keane in the side would have with selection.

Just watched the match on football first. Looked like everyone played well including Smith. Routledge seems to be getting netter with every top flight game.

Very well done to Barton for not losing his head. I don't think i've seen a more blatant case of targeted thuggery on one player in all my time watching football.

We've got to stop giving away silly freekicks in our half though, the better teams in the league will punish us from set pieces if we don't cut it out

Both were probably taken into account to be fair.

The way he hit it away from where he was running and away from goal with his right foot probably made the referee think Perch got his foot on it.

This is the sort of game that under any of the previous administrations we'd have lost. I truly hope that the lessons we learned away from home last year, ie digging in and taking a battling point, will die hard this season. Draws at Wigan, Blackpool, Bolton, Birmingham, Stoke, West Brom, West Ham etc would be decent results this season - our main problem is that we often lose to the promoted sides and otherteams around us, particularly on the road.