Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes. What's the difference between 7th and 17th? Still stay up.

I said this a few months ago, the difference in prize money is like £7 million. Not a lot these days.

7m buys a pretty decent to good striker

......... or Robbie Keane.

Guest Roger Kint

To finish 17th would require 8 of Stoke, Bolton, Blackpool, Villa, Everton, Fulham, West Brom, Birmingham, Wigan, Wolves and West Ham to get more points than us in the last bit of the season. I just can't see it happening, nor would I accept it.

The team have set the standard, they need to keep to it now.

6 of them are within 4 points, the one with 4 points less we play next away and are in a canny run at home. All i am saying to belittle anyone using caution like oldtype did is pretty silly.

To finish 17th would require 8 of Stoke, Bolton, Blackpool, Villa, Everton, Fulham, West Brom, Birmingham, Wigan, Wolves and West Ham to get more points than us in the last bit of the season. I just can't see it happening, nor would I accept it.

The team have set the standard, they need to keep to it now.

6 of them are within 4 points, the one with 4 points less we play next away and are in a canny run at home. All i am saying to belittle anyone using caution like oldtype did is pretty silly.

And we aren't the only ones with tough games left to play.

Yes, they're 4 points away but there's another 45 points to play for. If the season ended in two weeks, then you'd have a point.

Over the course of 15 games, I can't see more than 5 of them (Everton, Villa, Stoke, Bolton, Fulham) finishing above us, which would mean 14th place at least.

Guest Roger Kint

Ok for the 3rd time for the cheap seats I am not arguing where we will/wont finish i am arguing oldtype's premature belittling of anyone who would atill take it.

My point there was to say how close it would be short term, i have already stated i dont think we will be near to 17th imo.

Ok for the 3rd time for the cheap seats I am not arguing where we will/wont finish i am arguing oldtype's premature belittling of anyone who would atill take it.

My point there was to say how close it would be short term, i have already stated i dont think we will be near to 17th imo.

Well you were responding to my comment :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Well you were responding to my comment :lol:

Because it was in response to mine and i was repeating how close many of those teams were to us, nothing more nothing less. Sorry i didnt think it was rocket science like.

I don't think there's such a thing as being established anymore tbh Ian. Any side outside the main 6-7 could have a bad season and drop whether they've been in the division for 1 season or 10 seasons. Most of our first-team aren't Championship players, didn't cost Championship fees, and certainly aren't on Championship wages. Sure, we've got the likes of Simpson & Williamson, but people like Carroll, Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas, Nolan, Barton, Tiote, Ben Arfa...they're top-half players imo.

I agree with that, I'm just saying that our objective for this season was to stay up. Considering what happened last time we were in this division, it's a sensible aim.

I wouldn't be happy with 17th place now, but I would be even less happy to go down!

(It's a bit of a non-argument really, obviously everyone would now be disappointed with 17th).

Seriously, this has got to stop.

We got relegated once when all of us thought that we were "too good to go down" and it was a shock. I get it.

But this post-relegation stress disorder is reaching ridiculous proportions. We're now trying to overcompensate to the point where we just assume that the next crisis is right around the corner and it's illegal to have ambitions beyond bare survival.

We are eight points off the zone (with game in hand), but more importantly, we are eight teams away from the zone. That means all of those eight teams have to out-preform us by a significant margin for us to go down. It is mathematically possible, yes, but it is in no way shape or form likely.

Heck, how about this. Go over to the BBC results predictor thing and start punching in some numbers. Come back to me when you realize how difficult it is to force through a realistic permutation of results that gets us relegated. Go on, have a try.

It's like being that guy who's been through a terrible wreck of a relationship and gets dumped by his girlfriend who then afraid to ever commit to a relationship again because he thinks he'll get hurt again.

Guest Roger Kint

As if everything was as easy as the BBC Premier League Predictor  :facepalm:

'it's illegal to have ambitions beyond bare survival.'

Its not actually but then again its not illegal to have an open mind as to where we finish either without you telling them what they must think thereafter. Football is a funny old game as they say and theres nothing wrong with taking it a game at a time dispite your objections. Beleive it or not but NUFC will finish the same position regardless of what people care to post in this thread.

I've said it on this thread before and I'll no doubt say it again:

WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET RELEGATED!

And if we do, I'll shit in a bowl, piss on it, blend it and intravenously inject it into my fucking cock vein!

Stop being so negative!

Quoted.

:lol: I've not much doubt too. I'm on your side in being very surprised if we're anywhere near 17th come the end of the season. I don't care how tight it is right now, there's a reason we're above all those other teams. Even if we end up on a shit run, which I've no doubt we will between now and the end of the season, I can't see every one of those teams having a better run-in than us to all go above us. I'm still going mid-table of around 12th. Top half is there for the taking, but I can see us falling behind by the end.

I couldnt care less what the likes of Liverpool are doing. We are better than about 6 or 7 sides in this league and will finish between 7th and 12th. The likes of Liverpool and Villa were always going to get into gear and finish in the top half. 17th would be awful to end this season and go into next season with.

17th would be horrendous considering we've played pretty much the entire season without arguably our best player in Ben Arfa, as well as all of January without our best striker in Carroll. I think most of us thought we'd be fucked if we were to lose Carroll for over a month, but alas, we've been fine and very unlucky to be 12 points away from the relegation zone. If we get all our best players available for a run in March/April, I'd be shocked if we end up below 15th.

I still think we can do better than 17th, but it will serve us right if we go down.

Part of me would actually be smugly satisfied if we did go down, just to show the club what can happen if they fuck around and gamble with our future. I know how mad that sounds, but it's honestly how I feel.

Relegation now certainly wouldn't feel as bad as the last one, it would just feel like the inevitable result of our ridiculous actions.