Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

If two of our most experienced prem players, biggest leaders on the pitch leave then we are truly funked! Ashley will not replace them with better players but just cheap freebies... Barton has finally started playing very good football after ifs and buts, Nolan is still a very constant player in our midfield even though he has flaws (fitness mobility), Guthrie smith are not up to his standard so why the hell aren't we signing them both??

Still waiting on an inkling of reality for the 35M we got from the carroll sale? So far we are just getting all the free signings, hope this escalates into some class 5-10m signings when we look at forwards...

SOLD: Nolan Barton Jose Tiote (in all probability!)

BOUGHT (ahem!): Medi  Pratley Unknownley Futurpromisely

BOOKS: Recuperated another 20M on top of the 35 from Jan. 55 scraped off my debt....wooooooaahhaahahahaha!!!

SOLD: Nolan Barton Jose Tiote (in all probability!)

BOUGHT (ahem!): Medi  Pratley Unknownley Futurpromisely

BOOKS: Recuperated another 20M on top of the 35 from Jan. 55 scraped off my debt....wooooooaahhaahahahaha!!!

Eh? Since when are we selling Nolan and Tiote?

Supporting this club is made all the worse with all the doom-mongers around. 'Would be happy with finishing 17th next year'?

Give over. It's not even been a week since the season ended.

I'm willing to be patient and wait until the end of the summer before I pass judgement.

If we can finish above 17th next year I will be more than happy now.

Job Done, Mr Llambias, the oiks are happy with just survival!

I cannot understand the logic that Nolan not agreeing a new deal means he's off. He'll be 31 when his current contract expires and it's clear even this season that he's more effective as a lurker than a tireless box-to-box player.

The press seem to panic at the thought of losing a player on a free. Unlike Barton, we've had good value out of Nolan so if he left on a free in 2013 would it be that much of a disaster? Probably not- certainly less than panic selling him now when there is no real need to do so.

"Newcastle sell player" is an cheap story on the back of McKay's chatter. Expect more or less the whole squad to be linked in the next few weeks- those close season column inches are hard to fill.

If we can finish above 17th next year I will be more than happy now.

Job Done, Mr Llambias, the oiks are happy with just survival!

I cannot understand the logic that Nolan not agreeing a new deal means he's off. He'll be 31 when his current contract expires and it's clear even this season that he's more effective as a lurker than a tireless box-to-box player.

The press seem to panic at the thought of losing a player on a free. Unlike Barton, we've had good value out of Nolan so if he left on a free in 2013 would it be that much of a disaster? Probably not- certainly less than panic selling him now when there is no real need to do so.

"Newcastle sell player" is an cheap story on the back of McKay's chatter. Expect more or less the whole squad to be linked in the next few weeks- those close season column inches are hard to fill.

Sense.

That big changes was comming towards the team the next few years was ineviteable. We got far too many players on far to high wages compared to what they deserve. With out wagebill right now the likes of barton, smith, coloccini, jonas are taking wages fro 2 or 1.5 players each. And they are all over our "Key-player"-salery. Even if barton are offered 20k less then what his current contract helds, I still belive he is regarded as a key player. And will have the same wage of the likes of tiote and ben arfa. If he can't accept that, he's a greedy c*** in the michael own kind.

I bet both he and his agent knows that he doesn't deserve that kind of money, especially after how he's been ripping this club off for years before he "miraculously" gets back into the form we all know he can a year before his contract expires and its due to a new payday.

And I truly belive they will never ever get the same pay anywhere else as here. If so, they can gladly leave. Because its not about playing for the club anymore is it?

Not quite sure why you would give Nolan a new contract now anyway?  He's almost 29 and he's got 2 years left.  Will he be deserving of a new contract at 31 on good wages?  Why you would gamble on it now and extend his current contract is beyond me.

That big changes was comming towards the team the next few years was ineviteable. We got far too many players on far to high wages compared to what they deserve. With out wagebill right now the likes of barton, smith, coloccini, jonas are taking wages fro 2 or 1.5 players each. And they are all over our "Key-player"-salery. Even if barton are offered 20k less then what his current contract helds, I still belive he is regarded as a key player. And will have the same wage of the likes of tiote and ben arfa. If he can't accept that, he's a greedy c*** in the michael own kind.

I bet both he and his agent knows that he doesn't deserve that kind of money, especially after how he's been ripping this club off for years before he "miraculously" gets back into the form we all know he can a year before his contract expires and its due to a new payday.

And I truly belive they will never ever get the same pay anywhere else as here. If so, they can gladly leave. Because its not about playing for the club anymore is it?

Not quite sure why you would give Nolan a new contract now anyway?  He's almost 29 and he's got 2 years left.  Will he be deserving of a new contract at 31 on good wages?  Why you would gamble on it now and extend his current contract is beyond me.

Too sensible by half.

Wasn't this Nolan thing just something from fucking twitter?

Some of you need to get a grip ffs! He's still got two years on his contract anyway!

It is going to be a long summer but a lot of it will be nothing to do with players actually leaving, just dickheads posting on twitter and it then becoming Gospel!

He'll stay until his contract expires.

Ashley is here for the long-haul, there is no rush to get rid of the ageing, high earners.

If and only if he is that sensible.  History tell me he is not. 

I'm not sure why we're apparently re-negotiating Nolan's contract, but not the likes of Jonas and Coloccini, whose contracts expire at the same time. Also, presumably, to make it worthwhile offering Nolan an extension, it has to involve a pay rise.

Are there any direct quotes from Nolan or Pardew to indicate that this negotiation is going on?

I'm not sure why we're apparently re-negotiating Nolan's contract, but not the likes of Jonas and Coloccini, whose contracts expire at the same time. Also, presumably, to make it worthwhile offering Nolan an extension, it has to involve a pay rise.

Are there any direct quotes from Nolan or Pardew to indicate that this negotiation is going on?

I don't particularly expect that bit to be true. Like Barton and others, he'd probably see security in having extra years on his deal - possibly even worth him taking a paycut therefore. He also seems happy/eager to stay here in and of itself.

As far as I'm aware (which isn't very far), the Board started wanting to negotiate with Nolan following the squad wanting them to. I can see a few reasons why he's treated differently to Colo. Partly as he's on lower wages, so it's recognised that it should be a lot less tricky to get him to cut his wages/less necessary to cut his wages to an 'acceptable' level. Partly as he's the squad leader, so securing him helps secure the others - regardless of what some detractors think, clearly a lot of the players think we really need him more than most, and so the idea he could have one year left on his deal and a sell-happy Board in charge next year will unsettle the others. Added to that of course, he's less obviously a critical player on the pitch - it's easier to imagine the Board deciding they'd rather just get rid of him than it is with someone like Colo, and so again that helps unnerve the wider squad. So altogether, negotiating with him is more about symbolism and helping to make sure other valuable players think the club is moving in the right direction and not a sinking ship.

I don't particularly expect that bit to be true. Like Barton and others, he'd probably see security in having extra years on his deal - possibly even worth him taking a paycut therefore. He also seems happy/eager to stay here in and of itself.

As far as I'm aware (which isn't very far), the Board started wanting to negotiate with Nolan following the squad wanting them to. I can see a few reasons why he's treated differently to Colo. Partly as he's on lower wages, so it's recognised that it should be a lot less tricky to get him to cut his wages/less necessary to cut his wages to an 'acceptable' level. Partly as he's the squad leader, so securing him helps secure the others - regardless of what some detractors think, clearly a lot of the players think we really need him more than most, and so the idea he could have one year left on his deal and a sell-happy Board in charge next year will unsettle the others. Added to that of course, he's less obviously a critical player on the pitch - it's easier to imagine the Board deciding they'd rather just get rid of him than it is with someone like Colo, and so again that helps unnerve the wider squad. So altogether, negotiating with him is more about symbolism and helping to make sure other valuable players think the club is moving in the right direction and not a sinking ship.

Yup, I'd buy all of that - except I'm not putting any negative spin ("sell-happy" and "sinking ship") on my viewing of what is really an exercise in expediency.

Yes, signing Nolan has more symbolic value than footballing merit. But if that symbol leads to a sense of stability and security, and leads to a single one of Barton/Enrique/Colo re-signing, then it's worth the extra 2 million quid the symbol might cost...

Yup, I'd buy all of that - except I'm not putting any negative spin ("sell-happy" and "sinking ship") on my viewing of what is really an exercise in expediency.

Yes, signing Nolan has more symbolic value than footballing merit. But if that symbol leads to a sense of stability and security, and leads to a single one of Barton/Enrique/Colo re-signing, then it's worth the extra 2 million quid the symbol might cost...

It's not my spin raccy, any more than 'moving in the right direction' or 'acceptable' - just giving the players' possible perspective... Read again.

It's not my spin raccy, any more than 'moving in the right direction' or 'acceptable' - just giving the players' possible perspective... Read again.

Just referring to a previous discussion... To be honest it's difficult to sort the Chicken Little chaff from the few grains of wheat to be found hereabouts this silly season.

I could be wrong but I don't think Nolan or Barton signing a contract will be enough to persuade Enrique to stay if he thinks playing for a high profile glamour club is key to getting international honours. Nolan will be key to players like Barton, but Enrique himself is probably more important for the likes of Jonas or Coloccini.