Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Purely on the pitch, Nolan going and Gardner coming isn't that bad a move.

However, the wider connotations of this move are f***ing terrible. He's our captain and I'd hate to see the effect him leaving could potentially have.

We have no interest in Gardner. Thankfully because that would be a shite switch.

Even if we're keen to sell, it's insane that nobody else would be in for him.

For what it's worth I think the club executives never really liked the existence of "this group of lads" and they made up their minds to disassemble what they saw as "player power" as soon as they could afford to do so. That kind of thinking no doubt largely motivated the Hughton sacking and the current ostracizing of Nolan and Barton during the off-season.

It's a risky decision and I'm certainly not happy with it. Reeks of Mike Ashley's pathological inability to deal with anybody who has a stronger personality/presence within the club than he does. (Shearer, Keegan etc.)

Or Nolan is limited, has spat his dummy out at a new contract and wants away.

Nolan wanting away must be a factor in this (if it's true). From Ashley's point of view it's probably going to take more than 4m, or whatever the fee is, to replace him and we all know that he doesn't like big spending to replace players. Anyone fancy Gardner to replace him if he goes?

I was a huge critic of his for most of his spell here but I really liked him by the end of the season. And now he's off. Moral of the story is never change your opinion. That being said, I really like the idea of a 4-2-3-1 with Tiote & Cabaye as the two, then Ben Arfa + 2 & a good striker (Erdinc?). All taking shape I guess.

As much as I like the guy, if he's agitating for a move because he can't get a new contract (with 2 years left on his current one), I don't really have a problem with him going. He's a great captain, and a "right time right place" goalscorer, but he's nowhere near a great player. If we can replace him with better I don't really see the problem.

The problem is obvious and mentioned too many times.

I'm torn between "we have great team spirit, as proved by the promotion and the 4-4" and "the championship was easy and with good players we wouldn't have been 4-0 down". Looks likes we're at a crossroads between having a quality squad and a good group of lads.....but theres no logical reason why we can't have both.

Neither the club or the player will come out of this well if it is true. It speaks volumes about our policy of cutting players loose the minute they become too big in the dressing room but it also does Nolan no favours if he's willing to drop down a league for one last big pay day.

I'll believe it when I see it mind.

For what it's worth I think the club executives never really liked the existence of "this group of lads" and they made up their minds to disassemble what they saw as "player power" as soon as they could afford to do so. That kind of thinking no doubt largely motivated the Hughton sacking and the current ostracizing of Nolan and Barton during the off-season.

It's a risky decision and I'm certainly not happy with it. Reeks of Mike Ashley's pathological inability to deal with anybody who has a stronger personality/presence within the club than he does. (Shearer, Keegan etc.)

Just another reason why they shouldn't be running a football club. They don't have a clue about football and just care about their own egos. Even the mot ignorant of football fans knows the importance of team spirit and togetherness.

Nolan wanting away must be a factor in this (if it's true). From Ashley's point of view it's probably going to take more than 4m, or whatever the fee is, to replace him and we all know that he doesn't like big spending to replace players. Anyone fancy Gardner to replace him if he goes?

Axel has it in the bag, more money, much longer contract and won't have to fight for a first team place. WHam will be favs to come straight back up as well. It's a good move for Kevin Nolan, if we get back what we paid for him it can be a good move for us as well. Gardner would easily replace him on the pitch, in fact he'd be a vast improvement as he can score all types of goals and isn't just an opportunist.

Problem being captaincy, yes he's a good captain, but he can be replaced and Barton is the man to do it, give him the captaincy as part of him signing a new deal.

It's said Smith offers a lot to the team spirit, can't see anyone wanting him to hang around just for that, fair enough Nolan scores goals, but in terms of what else they provide on the pitch its very similar and we cannot afford passengers, I think Cabaye would have him benched after a few games and will become much more important to the balance of the team than the odd chance of a Nolan goal.

Axel has it in the bag, more money, much longer contract and won't have to fight for a first team place. WHam will be favs to come straight back up as well. It's a good move for Kevin Nolan, if we get back what we paid for him it can be a good move for us as well. Gardner would easily replace him on the pitch, in fact he'd be a vast improvement as he can score all types of goals and isn't just an opportunist.

Problem being captaincy, yes he's a good captain, but he can be replaced and Barton is the man to do it, give him the captaincy as part of him signing a new deal.

It's said Smith offers a lot to the team spirit, can't see anyone wanting him to hang around just for that, fair enough Nolan scores goals, but in terms of what else they provide on the pitch its very similar and we cannot afford passengers, I think Cabaye would have him benched after a few games and will become much more important to the balance of the team than the odd chance of a Nolan goal.

I don't think Barton will be signing a new deal if Nolan leaves

Purely on the pitch, Nolan going and Gardner coming isn't that bad a move.

However, the wider connotations of this move are f***ing terrible. He's our captain and I'd hate to see the effect him leaving could potentially have.

This.

If Nolan wasn't our captain, and had the personality/presence of someone like Ryan Taylor (judging him purely from his aesthetics here), then i'd drive him to London myself. It feels like we may be losing part of the clubs soul though. :undecided:

I'm torn between "we have great team spirit, as proved by the promotion and the 4-4" and "the championship was easy and with good players we wouldn't have been 4-0 down". Looks likes we're at a crossroads between having a quality squad and a good group of lads.....but theres no logical reason why we can't have both.

Nail on head for me. Epitomises my mixed feelings on this.

I actually really like Nolan and think he's been a fantastic captain for us. He's one of the main reasons why I fell back in love with the 'team' having had to tolerate so much shit and so many mercenaries over the years. He's also scored some crucial goals which Pardew will absolutely have to replace before I can see any sense whatsoever in selling him now.

Guest icemanblue

All about Nolan's greed again I see. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the club accepting an offer for yet another key player and by doing so making it clear he's not wanted.

Yep.

Bye bye, Joey, then.

He's by no means irreplaceable, but he's a personality and has 'led the revolution' on the pitch in a way since the relegation.

Sad to see him go. Especially to West Spam.

All about Nolan's greed again I see. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the club accepting an offer for yet another key player and by doing so making it clear he's not wanted.

Dude, its greedy to turn down a 2 year- extension just because you want a 3 year extension. Atleast when you know you will be immobile by that time.