Everton v Newcastle United - Sat 18th September (3pm)

Skeletor

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/archive/2010/09/14/horne-newcastle-result-crucial?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=Horne%3A+Newcastle+Result+Crucial

They come with big support but thats about all really. They had a fluke result against Villa but if you look at the team, by and large its very similar to the one that went down.

Theres been a lot of hype about Andy Carroll, Ive watched him for two or three years in the Under 18s and the reserves and to be honest I think for top class players like Distin and Jagielka I dont think he really is that much of a threat.

:facepalm:

They're begging to beaten with quotes like that on their official site :lol:

We'll play better in this than the Blackpool game like. More than anything, we were at home and expected to beat them convincingly. For this game, we're away from home and following a bad defeat and their draw against Man U, noone is expecting us to get anything - this is usually when we're at our best.

Guest Roger Kint

I think that's in the dictionary under "famous last words"... also "see 'pride comes before a fall' "

See also 'not really that far off the truth'  :fishing:

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/archive/2010/09/14/horne-newcastle-result-crucial?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=Horne%3A+Newcastle+Result+Crucial

“They come with big support but that’s about all really. They had a fluke result against Villa but if you look at the team, by and large it’s very similar to the one that went down.

“There’s been a lot of hype about Andy Carroll, I’ve watched him for two or three years in the Under 18s and the reserves and to be honest I think for top class players like Distin and Jagielka I don’t think he really is that much of a threat.”

:facepalm:

oh i do hope that gets pinned on the training ground and in the dressing room for the match

I think that's in the dictionary under "famous last words"... also "see 'pride comes before a fall' "

See also 'not really that far off the truth'  :fishing:

Yeah I know, I was going to add that I think we'll probably lose.

Still doesn't help to be making statements like that though.

Guest Roger Kint

To be fair its Barry Hornes opinions as a fan rather than Evertons views and the whole article isnt as bad as it sounds at first. The Villa scoreline obviously was out of the blue and other than his dated opinion of Carroll his theory is pretty sound, top class defenders should be able to find a way to deal with him(although Distin hasnt been great from what i heard like)

To be fair its Barry Hornes opinions as a fan rather than Evertons views and the whole article isnt as bad as it sounds at first. The Villa scoreline obviously was out of the blue and other than his dated opinion of Carroll his theory is pretty sound, top class defenders should be able to find a way to deal with him(although Distin hasnt been great from what i heard like)

Classic Everton spoiling player Barry Horne.

It's difficult to tell how Everton will line up as they'll obviously see us an entirely different beast to Man United. By far their most dangerous players are Arteta and Pinaar. It's not as simple as marking them out the game because they tend to float all over the place, particularly Arteta. Having said that Cahill has got into a rather annoying habit of notching against us however his movement and role in the team is far more predictable than the latter two.

I wouldn't surprised to see Fellani dropped back into midfield and Heitinga dropped back into defence to replace the suspect Distin, that would most likely see Yakubu up front with Cahill, who caused the Mancs all kinds of problems. If he's up for it we really need to stick Big Mike on him because there's no way Colo will be able to handle is physical presence. However Moyes does seem somewhat reluctant to play him due to his lack of effort which will see us breath a little easier.

For me there's no way we can compete in that midfield, not many can. Everton have dominated most this season and they are where they are due to a failure to convert dominance into goals, we need to hope for the same. However we need to think about weaknesses on the counter. The first is Hibbert. Arteta who seems to play on the right tends to drift inside a lot exposing Hibbert who although competent isn't great. If we can get Jonas and Jose to have a go down the flank I think we can get a bit of joy down that left hand side. Similarly Distin does not look confident at all. He's usually better than his Manc performance suggests but he's still more vulnerable than Jagielka. I have a feeling Moyes will drop Heitinga back into defence to replace him but that remains to be seen.  If this isn't the case we need Carroll to be as aggressive as possible, he didn't look up for it at all against Man United.

The biggest worry for me is our right hand side, frankly I can see Baines and Pinaar having a field day against Perch and I can see them targeting it as a particular weakness. Overall I think they will have far too much quality in the middle, we need to work our socks off and hope their recent trend of failing to capitalise on their possession continues.

Arteta doesn't play on the right. And although Hibbert is an easy target, defensively he's relatively solid actually. It's just getting forward he shows he has such little talent.

Just depends if it's one of those days. If so we'll dominate yet again and then draw 1-1. If we however attain a two-goal lead with more than half an hour to go, I can see it being 3 or 4*

*now that Geremi won't be given the freedom of Liverpool.

Tiote definitely in for Smith and I can see Nolan and Ben Arfa playing too. In that case, it'll be Jonas to make way and I don't really have a problem with that. Would like Raylor in for Perch too, but don't see it happening.

3-0 defeat.

It's difficult to tell how Everton will line up as they'll obviously see us an entirely different beast to Man United. By far their most dangerous players are Arteta and Pinaar. It's not as simple as marking them out the game because they tend to float all over the place, particularly Arteta. Having said that Cahill has got into a rather annoying habit of notching against us however his movement and role in the team is far more predictable than the latter two.

I wouldn't surprised to see Fellani dropped back into midfield and Heitinga dropped back into defence to replace the suspect Distin, that would most likely see Yakubu up front with Cahill, who caused the Mancs all kinds of problems. If he's up for it we really need to stick Big Mike on him because there's no way Colo will be able to handle is physical presence. However Moyes does seem somewhat reluctant to play him due to his lack of effort which will see us breath a little easier.

For me there's no way we can compete in that midfield, not many can. Everton have dominated most this season and they are where they are due to a failure to convert dominance into goals, we need to hope for the same. However we need to think about weaknesses on the counter. The first is Hibbert. Arteta who seems to play on the right tends to drift inside a lot exposing Hibbert who although competent isn't great. If we can get Jonas and Jose to have a go down the flank I think we can get a bit of joy down that left hand side. Similarly Distin does not look confident at all. He's usually better than his Manc performance suggests but he's still more vulnerable than Jagielka. I have a feeling Moyes will drop Heitinga back into defence to replace him but that remains to be seen.  If this isn't the case we need Carroll to be as aggressive as possible, he didn't look up for it at all against Man United.

The biggest worry for me is our right hand side, frankly I can see Baines and Pinaar having a field day against Perch and I can see them targeting it as a particular weakness. Overall I think they will have far too much quality in the middle, we need to work our socks off and hope their recent trend of failing to capitalise on their possession continues.

Arteta doesn't play on the right. And although Hibbert is an easy target, defensively he's relatively solid actually. It's just getting forward he shows he has such little talent.

Just depends if it's one of those days. If so we'll dominate yet again and then draw 1-1. If we however attain a two-goal lead with more than half an hour to go, I can see it being 3 or 4*

Did Arteta not start on the right? Pretty sure he started there and just floated around as he usually does with Osman filling his position when needs be.

..........................harper..........................

.....campbell.....williamson.....enrique.....

routledge......................................jonas

......|.......barton....tiote....nolan.........|....

......|.............ben arfa........................|...

......V...................|......carroll..............V....

V

Did Arteta not start on the right? Pretty sure he started there and just floated around as he usually does with Osman filling his position when needs be.

Arteta hasn't played on the right for a long time. Best part of two years.

On Saturday he was playing in a fairly deep central position with Fellaini advanced and Cahill up front. In the second half Fellaini & Arteta swapped roles. Osman was on the right all game (but often went missing by drifting inside).

Arteta usually plays as a central play maker now rather than his early years with us when he was on the wing all the time.

We lost at home to Blackpool therefore the team must change.

Krul

Taylor Williamson Coloccini Enrique

Tiote

Barton Smith

Nolan

Carroll Ben Arfa

But if Carroll needs a couple of weeks to let his ankle fully recover, play Shola.

No Jonas or Routledge?

:kasper:

How Everton play with midfielders running into the box I think we are best lining up with a defence minded midfield. They might not be the best, but give them a tracking back job and they will do it without question. Then let Ben Arfa provide the width in a free role, Nolan is needed because we can't have Carroll as the only goal threat, there has to be a secondary threat.

Krul

Tiote

Barton Smith

Nolan

Carroll Ben Arfa

But if Carroll needs a couple of weeks to let his ankle fully recover, play Shola.

No Jonas or Routledge?

How Everton play with midfielders running into the box I think we are best lining up with a defence minded midfield. They might not be the best, but give them a tracking back job and they will do it without question. Then let Ben Arfa provide the width in a free role, Nolan is needed because we can't have Carroll as the only goal threat, there has to be a secondary threat.

:lol:

That is possibly the worst line up I could think of.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Krul

Tiote

Barton Smith

Nolan

Carroll Ben Arfa

No Jonas or Routledge?

:lol:

That is possibly the worst line up I could think of.

This

Jesus Christ, my fucking eyes.

Are you fucking Wumming? Smith and Nolan still in the team? Both Wingers left out?!

You realise how shit that team would be? How would it even work ffs.

Fuck off.

Mentalist.

No need for the abuse, I'm entitled to my opinion, and you are entitled to disagree, but at least be civil.