Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Nolan's completely gone physically and Barton most certainly isn't what he was 4 years back. That's before you take into account the other issues with both.

Barton was awful 4 years ago. His form over the last season and the start of this one is his best spell since years ago at Manchester City. I think the decision regarding him was more to do with what he represented among the players.

Barton is playing to his strengths, he is clever player and does what is necessary. He is no-where near as knacked as Nolan but Ronaldo's right that he is on the downward curve.

Thats not a problem if you manage a team around that e.g. Shearer. But I don't think the board thought he was worth the value/wages Barton and Mckay had demanded. Given his mental fragility and age he wasn't worth the outlay and possible risk when they thought they could easily replace him with someone younger that would play to the teams strengths not vice versa.

Still madness to let him go for nothing and thats the boards pride and ego that has lost us at least 3m that Q.P.R. would have bust our door down with.

I'm sure it helps that Jonas is an superb athlete who's showing no signs of slowing down, like.

Aye, was going to mention, but I didnt want to stir a hornets nest.

The fact is that (barring a freak injury) Jonas will still be a useful player while Kevin Nolan will be unable to move. Sad but true.

I didn't really want to sell Nolan, but giving him more than a couple of years more would have been madness. Maybe even that would have been too much TBH.

Barton most certainly wasn't awful 4 years ago. I'm referring mainly to the end of his spell at City, of course.

He was a proper box-to-box player then. He's deteriorated physically an awful lot since.

You'll like this quote then, from today:

"I feel really sharp, as I should do having just turned 29 and I'm enjoying my football."

"I think I'll play until I'm about 38 or 40 because my game is not based on pace or power, it's all about knowledge of football and manipulating the ball."

Barton is playing to his strengths, he is clever player and does what is necessary. He is no-where near as knacked as Nolan but Ronaldo's right that he is on the downward curve.

Thats not a problem if you manage a team around that e.g. Shearer. But I don't think the board thought he was worth the value/wages Barton and Mckay had demanded. Given his mental fragility and age he wasn't worth the outlay and possible risk when they thought they could easily replace him with someone younger that would play to the teams strengths not vice versa.

Still madness to let him go for nothing and thats the boards pride and ego that has lost us at least 3m that Q.P.R. would have bust our door down with.

Why didn't QPR bust our door down for even £1m never mind £3m when he was clearly available with a year left on his contract? The fact is we had to offer him on a free for QPR to show an interest.

Why didn't QPR bust our door down for even £1m never mind £3m when he was clearly available with a year left on his contract? The fact is we had to offer him on a free for QPR to show an interest.

Weren't QPR in for him quick as a flash once Fernandez bought the club?  They weren't buying anyone at all before that.

Weren't QPR in for him quick as a flash once Fernandez bought the club?  They weren't buying anyone at all before that.

Bingo. The cynic in me says Fernandez made him priority number one for the PR generated. Not that he isn't a good addition for them mind.

Barton most certainly wasn't awful 4 years ago. I'm referring mainly to the end of his spell at City, of course.

He was a proper box-to-box player then. He's deteriorated physically an awful lot since.

"I feel really sharp, as I should do having just turned 29 and I'm enjoying my football."

"I think I'll play until I'm about 38 or 40 because my game is not based on pace or power, it's all about knowledge of football and manipulating the ball."

See, his crossing and passing are at their best right now, and there's no reason he can't continue to improve in that respect. But his declining athleticism will catch up with him eventually, like it caught up with Nobby - who was ten times more gifter at 'manipulating' the ball.

He really is a deluded little tool, like. 38-40. :lol:

I'm sure it helps that Jonas is an superb athlete who's showing no signs of slowing down, like.

Nail on the head basically. Easy to take Jonas' athleticism and pace for granted when so many of our squad lack it. Players like Barton knew his value, that's why they used his name to try and bolster their own position. You can't blame them for trying can you?

See, his crossing and passing are at their best right now, and there's no reason he can't continue to improve in that respect. But his declining athleticism will catch up with him eventually, like it caught up with Nobby - who was ten times more gifter at 'manipulating' the ball.

He really is a deluded little tool, like. 38-40. :lol:

I can only think of two outfield players playing at a high level right now at that age, and they're Ryan Giggs and Javier Zanetti. Two players who were the best of their generation in their positions -  physically, mentally and technically.

That's hindsight talking. Barton was on the market for free for a decent period before QPR's takeover and there was no interest unless you believe Joey's BS about Arsenal and Sunderland. To say we could have got more from QPR would mean we would know they would definitely be taken over and that their owner would want to sanction a bid of say £3m.

He may mean lower leagues to be fair, ie Nobby.

Doubt he would like, through choice, but it's hardly as daft as is been made out.

Even Nobby is only 36.

How many players reach 40 year old and are still playing, at any level? Nevermind somebody like Barton who's has visibly wained physically over the last 3-4 years.

I reckon Xavi could play till then if he fancied it. Joey Barton? nar.

He may mean lower leagues to be fair, ie Nobby.

Doubt he would like, through choice, but it's hardly as daft as is been made out.

Even Nobby is only 36.

How many players reach 40 year old and are still playing, at any level? Nevermind somebody like Barton who's has visibly wained physically over the last 3-4 years.

Dean Windass was about 40 and still played a few in the Premiership for Hull, and i'm guessing theres a few kicking about in the lower leagues (probably reserves mind) somewhere.

It's pretty clear that he won't play until his 40 like, but nobody, not even himself, realy knows if he will be physicaly capable of doing so. He's hardly deluded for suggesting so (I know you never said so).

Guest magpie99

This is great news. Jonas has shown himself to be a team player and his defensive work and support in particular of Taylor this season has been outstanding. The ball he played through for BA against Blackburn was brilliant and with more intelligent players around him, I can see him supplying more on the offensive side.

As for Barton..........good player but too many side issues brought about his downfall. His biggest mistake was refusing to sign the contract in January. Furthermore, didnt he spout off at Wolves recently thathe was on 80k a week at QPR? If correct, he would never have got thatg with us. Obertan is 7 years younger, pacier with the potential to improve with playing time and a definite better resale prospect.

As for Nolan.........He was a good captain but I believe he had more influence behind the scenes than we know about. His lack of pace and goals (once Carroll left) brought little or no benefit to the team and when you consider we got  a fantastic french international who has a better all round game for virtually the same price we got for Nolan and we are probably paying him less a week, then it is a no brainer.

Pardew is putting a damn decent side together and with the loss of the likes of Xisco, Smith, Perch from our wage list and replaced next year with decent players, we will have a squad the envy of most.

Guest sydneycove

Good move by the club. Even if his end products shit he still plays an important role with only one recognised LB at the club and if he starts to waine physically we can still sell him in a couple of seasons to an Italian team and pick up a nice transfer fee.

Where is the 'Nolan/Barton shouldn't be given contracts, because they'll be over the hill by the age of 32' troupe?

I think the problem was that Nolan was over the hill NOW, so giving him and extended contract would have been stupidity

Barton will still be playing at 32 BUT obviously he pissed the owner off