Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Not sure Pardew will drop him, which is a real problem if we're intent on sticking with this abysmal system.

Cult hero and always works his arse off, but he's a winger and a large part of that is being able to create something going forward and in this sense he offers virtually nothing.

Pathetic today, we looked so much better when Fergie came on.

I like Jonas, but his career as an attacker is over. Very fortunate that he stayed on.

Should be used like Man U used Park Ji Sung a few years ago.

Play him against the top sides when we need an extra bit of work rate.

He's a passenger in games like today when we're the better side, can't be many wingers who've been so hopelessly ineffective in the final third.

He's a passenger in games like today when we're the better side, can't be many wingers who've been so hopelessly ineffective in the final third.

This. His lack of penetration was embarassing against a team any decent winger would at least be getting regular balls into the box. I really rate Jonas for his work rate and defensive stuff, and winning us free kicks in good areas (to waste on free kicks to williamson none the less lol) but he's sub standard for attacking. in a middle 3 he is perfectly good.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jun2012/0/1/newcastle-united-s-french-midfield-duo-gabriel-obertan-and-sylvain-marveaux-279035752.jpg

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jun2012/0/1/newcastle-united-s-french-midfield-duo-gabriel-obertan-and-sylvain-marveaux-279035752.jpg

Obertan right and Ben Arfa left would be an improvement IMO.

Obertan at least offers some width.

Obertan right and Ben Arfa left would be an improvement IMO.

Obertan at least offers some width.

You've gone too far there.

I seem to remember his performances picking up when we signed HBA and he got dropped to start with.

Might have been coincidental, but maybe he needs another kick up the arse? 

I've always said, in a lot of home games and a few aways, I wouldn't start him.  However against the big boys and for tough away trips, he's vital.

I am a big Jonas fan but he was poor on Saturday.  He seems to almost have completely given up any attempt to beat his man and is now playing pretty much as a defensive winger.

I think he's told too personally. It's a little thing but he doesn't join in the attacking play warm-ups they do pre-match, it's only Santon on his side.

I agree he is wasted as a winger in a 4-4-2 in games against 'lesser teams'

I am a big Jonas fan but he was poor on Saturday.  He seems to almost have completely given up any attempt to beat his man and is now playing pretty much as a defensive winger.

I think he's told too personally. It's a little thing but he doesn't join in the attacking play warm-ups they do pre-match, it's only Santon on his side.

You are possibly right there.  It is frustrating to see him either turn back or wait for the Santon overlap - he still has the ability to beat a man I think.

You are possibly right there.  It is frustrating to see him either turn back or wait for the Santon overlap - he still has the ability to beat a man I think.

Sadly, I don't.  He's lost a yard and has become very predictable.  Always holds on to it for too long in congested areas, after trying to beat a man or two.  Then just looks and hopes for a foul.  Other teams know his crossing is dreadful, so they just show him the line and then sod all happens.

I've always thought there were times he just played brilliantly for us. I thought his Spurs performance was top notch. But if I am honest, he needs a sitting. I'd even consider playing Anita there or even wide just for the fact that he has a decent cross, can cover defensively and has some excellent pace - if we were to do 4 man midfield or 3 man midfield in an out of a match, Anita seems to have the stamina to get up and down the pitch very well.

Wondering if he was a miss from the team last night and if we are better without him in the starting line up ?

What he adds defensively can't be underrated but thats not what you want if he plays on the wing, we were more creative last night on the left than for some time, would consider starting Ferguson and Santon on left against Manchester. We know Pards will go 4-4-2 so may as well have Ben Arfa and Ferguson on each wing.

Wondering if he was a miss from the team last night and if we are better without him in the starting line up ?

What he adds defensively can't be underrated but thats not what you want if he plays on the wing, we were more creative last night on the left than for some time, would consider starting Ferguson and Santon on left against Manchester. We know Pards will go 4-4-2 so may as well have Ben Arfa and Ferguson on each wing.

Thanks for the feedback but gut feeling says Pards will play him from the start

We definitely played better without him yesterday. I've always been a big fan, but he's not been offering much width recently, maybe due to a change in role, but Obertan gave us a decent outlet wide left yesterday. Still unsure who should start Sunday, but it's getting to the stage we are going to want more from our wide players. Effort is great but quality has been missing for too many games this season.