Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Whilst choosing the teamsheet every week Jonas would be well above the following:

Smith, Guthrie, Routledge, Williamson, Shola, Routledge, Ranger...etc..etc.

We don't have anyone any better to put in there... And there are a lot of worse players who don't get half of what he does...

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

People aren't disputing that, rather expressing their frustration with his ability (where as some people seem to think he's amazing and get angry when you say anything bad about him). Great player to discuss really, since he really does divide opinion down the middle.

People aren't disputing that, rather expressing their frustration with his ability (where as some people seem to think he's amazing and get angry when you say anything bad about him). Great player to discuss really, since he really does divide opinion down the middle.

I don't think anyone thinks he is amazing, if there are any, they can probaby be ignored as this must be in the absolute minority.Most that are defending him (myself included) acknowledge that his end product (in terms of goals and assists) is minimal but also recognize that a) we don't have anyone better for his position right now and b) in tersm of value to the team he is well above the likes of Smith and Guthrie and may I add a non goal scoring Nolan. 

Guest neesy111

I don't think anyone thinks he is amazing, if there are any, they can probaby be ignored as this must be in the absolute minority.Most that are defending him (myself included) acknowledge that his end product (in terms of goals and assists) is minimal but also recognize that a) we don't have anyone better for his position right now and b) in tersm of value to the team he is well above the likes of Smith and Guthrie and may I add a non goal scoring Nolan.  

Good Post.  We do need him at the moment as we have nothing better, but going forward I'd prefer a winger that can put in a decent cross and will chip in with at least 5 goals a season as I can't see him scoring more than 3 this season cosidering the lack of composure the guy has.  Also I think for the future when signing a midfielder we should be considering how good they are set-pieces.

Guest schmuck

In a better team he'd be more highly thought of. People looking to him for creativity, goals or to be a traditional winger are barking up the wrong tree and will never be satisfied with him, if we had a midfield 4 of Jonas, Tiote, Barton and an in form/better version of Routledge with Ben Arfa playing off Carroll ahead, then we have a lot of bases covered: a traditional, play-stretching winger on the right as well as Ben Arfa and Barton to provide creativity, Jose's overlaps and Ben Arfa take care of natural left sided delivery leaving us a more complete side and Jonas less of a scapegoat for our shortcomings. In this case I think his strengths, ie carrying the ball forwards and relieving pressure, breaking with energy, showing for the ball, winning freekicks and of course linking up with Enrique, would not only be more appreciated, but seen as vital to our play. In some senses he is/could be our Park Ji-Sung, which is a good thing, it's just unfortunate that, for whatever reason (his nationality, other player's shortcomings, his appearance?) people expect Nani instead.

Guest michaelfoster

Pro's

Quick

Strong

wins quite a few freekicks

works well with Enrique

relieves pressure from defence when he gets the ball

Con's

Poor crosser for a winger

Doesnt create enough assists

Doesnt score enough goals for a midfielder

Gets caught in possesion/tackled too much

Quite ball greedy

Stands and watches, fixing his hair when opposition has the ball

In a better team he'd be more highly thought of. People looking to him for creativity, goals or to be a traditional winger are barking up the wrong tree and will never be satisfied with him, if we had a midfield 4 of Jonas, Tiote, Barton and an in form/better version of Routledge with Ben Arfa playing off Carroll ahead, then we have a lot of bases covered: a traditional, play-stretching winger on the right as well as Ben Arfa and Barton to provide creativity, Jose's overlaps and Ben Arfa take care of natural left sided delivery leaving us a more complete side and Jonas less of a scapegoat for our shortcomings. In this case I think his strengths, ie carrying the ball forwards and relieving pressure, breaking with energy, showing for the ball, winning freekicks and of course linking up with Enrique, would not only be more appreciated, but seen as vital to our play. In some senses he is/could be our Park Ji-Sung, which is a good thing, it's just unfortunate that, for whatever reason (his nationality, other player's shortcomings, his appearance?) people expect Nani instead.

In a better team he wouldn't be in it tbh.

His final ball is usually very poor and he ain't a goal scoring winger either. He canspend a game looking ok but if you analyse it you will come to the conclusion that he didn't actually do anything. IMO he isn't good enough needs to be replaced. Ocassionally going past a couple of players and over hitting a cross gets you no where.

He is suffering from the dropping of Routledge and the injury to Ben Arfa for sure, without those two it's back to him being marked by three defenders.

Good point, a lot of people harped on about how Routledge balanced the team last year and like you said gave freedom to Jonas. Just a real shame Routledge hasn't shown prem quality so far this season.

He is suffering from the dropping of Routledge and the injury to Ben Arfa for sure, without those two it's back to him being marked by three defenders.

Good point, a lot of people harped on about how Routledge balanced the team last year and like you said gave freedom to Jonas. Just a real shame Routledge hasn't shown prem quality so far this season.

He's not likely to sitting watching Danny Guthrie either.

He's had his chances and blown them. Walks around like he's king of the wing yet can't cross a ball to save his pecker hide.

He's had his chances and blown them. Walks around like he's king of the wing yet can't cross a ball to save his pecker hide.

Yet he was signed to replace Guthrie who is playing there even worse now.

He proved last season that he's a good crosser. The problem is getting in position to cross, and he hasn't been helped in that regard by the fact he's been deployed slightly deeper to compensate for the shite behind him.

Definately think he deserves another run in the team now Simpson is back. :thup:

He proved last season that he's a good crosser. The problem is getting in position to cross, and he hasn't been helped in that regard by the fact he's been deployed slightly deeper to compensate for the s**** behind him.

So true. I know you keep having to say it as well but it's totally true.

he needs another kick up the arse,  was living in easy street with no competition then suddenly Ben Arfa came and he was out the team,  when he got back in for the next few weeks he was playing really well,  he even managed to score!!!  Now Ben Arfa is out and he knows he's not under any pressure to perform as no one is there to take his place.

His final ball is usually very poor and he ain't a goal scoring winger either. He canspend a game looking ok but if you analyse it you will come to the conclusion that he didn't actually do anything. IMO he isn't good enough needs to be replaced. Ocassionally going past a couple of players and over hitting a cross gets you no where.

I wonder if the coaches have picked this up yet, but the main issue with his crosses is that they don't have a lot of curl on them, which you need if you're going to cross with your right from a deep-ish position on the left side. The solution is to tell him to cross more with his left imo, which he did against... Blackburn (I think?) and looked a lot more dangerous for it, because those crosses were much more difficult to defend.

I wonder if the coaches have picked this up yet, but the main issue with his crosses is that they don't have a lot of curl on them, which you need if you're going to cross with your right from a deep-ish position on the left side. The solution is to tell him to cross more with his left imo, which he did against... Blackburn (I think?) and looked a lot more dangerous for it, because those crosses were much more difficult to defend.

Crossed with his left for Shola to head in vs Wigan too iirc.

I don't know whether it's because he's a right footed player playing on the left or what? But he should be getting more decent crosses in than what he has done in the last few games. Can't the coaches sort this out or is his left foot that bad???

Still think that he gives a hell of a lot of other more positive stuff to the team but jeeez, I am also seeing the detractors have a semblance of reason when it comes to his final ball...

Come on Jonas lad!! I still have faith :)