Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sick of this 'Jonas doesn't try' bollocks.

He's a limited footballer with next to no end product, but he's an athlete that works his bollocks off. Clearly been playing with an injury for weeks aswell btw.

Depends what you question as Work Rate. Does he ever try to win the ball back when he loses it, or does he stand still, look the heavens, then tighten his head band?

He's a limited footballer with next to no end product, but he's an athlete that works his bollocks off. Clearly been playing with an injury for weeks aswell btw.

Depends what you question as Work Rate. Does he ever try to win the ball back when he loses it, or does he stand still, look the heavens, then tighten his head band?

You gave him the massive workrate stat on FM ;)

Maradona on Jonas

It's Mascherano, Messi and Jonas [Gutierrez], plus eight."

Jonas on Hughton/Maradona

The former Velez Sarsfield and Real Mallorca winger said: ­“Working with ­Maradona was fantastic – an experience I will never forget. To win the World Cup would have been a dream, but to be coached by ­him was extra ­special.

“Chris Hughton is different because Maradona has a lot of excitement about him. They are ­different but they are both very good men.

“Chris is calm and, for me, I prefer that type. He knows what he wants from the players and he’s really quiet. When I came here, Kevin Keegan was here and he was really nice, too.

“They are really quiet people and explain what they want and never shout or say things in a bad way.

“Maradona is a lot of fun and can be very excitable. But he is the big reason why I stayed at Newcastle after we were relegated in 2009 – a year before the World Cup.

“It was important what Maradona said to me then. If he had told me I had to play in the Premier League to be in the national team, it would have been a ­difficult situation for me.

“But when I knew what he thought, I was happy to stay at Newcastle as this is a big club and I don’t think it can ever again be in the Championship.

“I like it here and I don’t want to move. When I was young, I wanted to play in English football. This is my dream, so I want to stay here a long time.’’

And Gutierrez is hoping that Hughton, whose long-term future at St James’ Park still hasn’t been sorted, despite the 5-1 derby slaughter of Sunderland, will be there with him.

Gutierrez added: “Chris has done a fantastic job. There is much greater ­stability now.

“We always have the ­opportunity to tell him what we think. All the players are really happy.

“The Sunderland victory moved us to within a win of the top four last week. But that is in the past, we must look to the future.

“Since the start of the season, I have thought that we have the team and the players to finish in the top ten.”

He didn't try very hard to put a reasonable challenge in before Tchoyi's goal on Sunday. I like Jonas, it's just a shame he's pretty shit. Great on his (infrequent) day mind.

He has no confidence the minute he gets to the box. He is perfectly capable of shooting, we have seen it. He always looks for a pass rather than shoot though. His work rate cant be questioned. I dont buy the limited ability notion. He just needs coaching better and telling to have a crack when he gets in a decent position.

He has NEVER been that player though has he? I think we need to accept it and not blame coaching. He didn't come here as a raw 18 year old. He was a mid 20s international for a massive footballing nation. He just doesn't shoot much.

We're better a team for him in the team and anyway who else are we going to put in the team? Ferguson?

We were a better team with him out before we picked up injuries, unfortunately he has to play at the moment.

We're better a team for him in the team and anyway who else are we going to put in the team? Ferguson?

We were a better team with him out before we picked up injuries, unfortunately he has to play at the moment.

One game versus Everton?

Yeah, but swapping Ben Arfa in for anyone would make us a better team TBF. Wouldn;t be surprised if he's a better goalkeeper than Krul.

With him being a bit of a liabilty at present, is it worth giving Shane Ferguson a chance down the left?

He can put in a better ball and also drop back to help Jose when he needs too.

Jonas > Shane Ferguson.

Northern Ireland tend to throw anyone who looks remotely capable of achieving anything into their squads these days, with all the withdrawals in friendlies.  Jonas is a decent Argentinian international.  Ferguson has played one game for us, that yes, involved a wondercross.  Doesn't mean he's the next David Beckham.